How to prevent noise between rooms and the hallway?

How to prevent noise between rooms and the hallway?

I noticed that recently, I've received a lot more four-star and three-star reviews. I starte with about 16 straight five-star reviews as a new host. Now, I have 31 five-star reviews, 5 four-star reviews, and 2 three-star reviews. I've received a pretty high amount of four-star and three-star reviews as of late. Out of the 7 total reviews that were not five-stars, 5 only had concerns about noise. 

Another thing to note is that one of my four bedrooms are also located downstairs right under another bedroom. All bedrooms are hardwood floors which I assume must make a lot of clanking sounds as people walk.

In the past day, I've read a lot about soundproofing and how hardwoord floors and lack of wall decors can really echo noise.

So far, my plan is to buy some rugs to surround the beds and some wall art to hang up between bedrooms that share the same wall. I'm also considering on buying some soundproof studio foams to stick inside some of the closets that are between bedrooms.

I'm really interested in learning about this from other hosts. What are some low-cost methods you've used to prevent noise from echoing through the ground and walls?

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

There are two different issues, @Henley0 to consider.  One is the actual noise level and the other is the guest reaction.  Obviously only a small number of guests were adversely affected, so unless you can eliminate the noise travel completely, these guests will not be satisfied.  Your ideas are great, but will not result in getting rid of it.

You could also manage expectations of potential guests by helping them accept that an older house with wood floors may have a noise level the is difficult for them.  Add it to your description and to your welcoming message.  Better to have a guest not book or cancel early than to get a bad review.

If you do get a bad review, your response will be sympathetic but not defensive.   You can offer ear plugs and white noise machine as well.  I know when I visit San Francisco, I find the city very noisy so I take a Tylenol PM to help me sleep.

BTW noise proofing between floors takes special floating subfloors and is pretty expensive.

@Henley0

Rugs on floors will help some, but not a lot. Studio foam....... you will need to do a proper job of the entire shared wall for it to really work as it should. As you know, sound travelling is often not just sound but also vibrations of the sound that travel thru the walls and floors. If you have wood headboards they should not touch the walls or wood floors directly because sound will travel straight to the headboard - a rug underneath the headboard to absorb sounds and keeping it a couple centimeters away from the wall may help a bit. 

I agree with @Linda108 that managing expectations is probably better and make sure guests are fully aware about the potential for noise travelling in the house from other people. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Henley0,

Great to meet you. Great question.

I wonder what are your own thoughts on the noise levels in your listing? Have you stayed in the listing (as if you were a guest), as this could be a good starting point on how to tackle it and if more is needed that the ideas you already have. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

Nice to meet you as well. I can provide updates on my progress to reduce noise traveling between rooms in my airbnb unit. 

My first step is:

1) Floor runner for the hallway to reduce noise against the hardwood floors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074PZYVMV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BOVSQLNK9TS4&psc=1

2) Door stoppers to block out the open space at the bottom of bedroom doors

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Stopper-Blocker-Soundproof-Prevent/dp/B07FGG2YDP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

3) Putting clear details that there is potential for noise between the rooms are close by together for guests to know in advance of what to expect. 

I'll provide an update in a few weeks with my progress in reducing reviews under 5-stars.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Earplugs? Anyone!

Hmm, sure. I'll consider. Was a bit hesitant to provide, but I really don't have any reasoning not to

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The real problem is that you can't control the noise the other guests make. We rent out the lower level of the house, but are obviouslay considerate since it pays $$.

If I had other Airbnb upstairs, I'm sure it would be problematic with music, tv, noise etc at all hours. You could try multiple layer of drywall which I did with the lower level. The other thought would be to rent it out as a single unit with 2 bedrooms etc - maybe less money but more sustainable.

With 3 unrelated STR in one building you may also be heading into zoning problems - Seattle would treat that as a hotel and has significant fire and electrical code differences (which makes sense given the number of people). If it's zoned single family you may also have a limit on occupancy (no more than 8 people in Seattle no matter what you do).  Be careful !

How much did it cost you for the multiple layers of drywall?

I agree noise will always be an issue, but I'm hoping to do as much as I can to prevent it from affecting people's sleep. I can afford a few 4-stars & 3-stars once in a while but I think it's a little too high right now. 

I believe California adopts the 2 plus 1 rule which allows 2 person per room plus 1 in the living room. I'm also in Daly City, CA which is under San Mateo County and not San Francisco, CA so regulations here are much looser than SF.

@Henley0   I had sound board installed with 5/8" sheetrock (it has the added benefit of being fire-rated) and used Green Glue Noiseproofing compound and sealant,  it works a treat. You can just use the compound between layers of sheet rock to deaden sound. https://www.greengluecompany.com  There are how to guides and installation videos on their site.   Floors are trickier,  I have soundproofing underlayment under the hall carpet, but if someone is extremely heavy footed it has little impact.  I have had guests I never hear and others who rock the house with their flat footed stomping and door slamming.

We already had a couple of layers of drywall which were uneven, so just added another layer of 3/4 inch to make it more finished. I believe it makes a significant difference.

I think it was $2.5k for about 800 sq ft ceilings. The price of drywall seems to vary based on how much mess and time you want it to take 😞

The problem in your scenario is that all it takes is for 1:3 to go off the rails and everyone is going to complain...