How to review a fellow host

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How to review a fellow host

Hello Community

I thought I would put this one to you to see your response.

I'm currently staying at an airbnb where I initially booked for a week, and have extended twice.  Largely, I've extended because the price suits my budget (I'm at the beginning of a four month tour) and because I'm somewhat lazy.  This room is at the cheaper end of the market and is in a family home.  The property currently has about 7 5 star reviews and is overall 5 stars.

when I arrived the room (and indeed house) was clean.  The mattress is comfortable, the pillow is exceptionally thin, it barely raises your head from the mattress.

The following issues have come up during my stay:

-1.on a mega hot day (32 degrees) I was laying on the bed semi naked.  My host (obviously thought I was out while I was in fact lying in a heat induced stupor) knocked on the door AND THEN IMMEDIATELY entered.  Of course I jumped up in shock but I feel this caused unnecessary embarrasment.  

-2.toilet paper has run out twice during my stay.  I used the last of the roll earlier this morning...now at 1.05 am (a whole day has passed) it still hasn't been replenished.  No idea what people are doing if they need a number 2. I personally stole some paper from a cafe.

-3. there's no bin anywhere in the upper level of the house.  The only bin is in the kitchen - this is a problem particularly if you need to dispose of feminine products.

-4. the listing includes kitchen access and yet on numerous occasions every surafce has been convered with used pots, pans, lego, toys etc. On one occasion the host left immediately after lunch and didn't clear anything away.  Bluebottles everywhere.  it was eventually cleared up by the evening but I have now given up totally on using the kitchen.

-5. the room is FULL of their stuff.  Nowhere to hang clothes, no hooks anywhere meaning I am left to drape wet towels and my wash cloth on the end of the bed.  In the three weeks I have been here I have lived out of my suitcase, which is on the floor.

-6.  overall the standard of tidiness is dire...there isnt ingrained dirt anywhere, but the mirror in the bathroom has had toothpaste flecks on it for about 6 days, theres always toys everywhere, any spare surface seems to be covered.

-7.  the hosts are a nice couple.  I don't want to be mean, and I'm sure they think my repeated bookings mean everything is fine when  I'm choosing to ignore a lot of stuff.  Today (i'm two weeks into my stay) I had to ask for a change of sheets...back home when I'm hosting I would change sheets for a guest weekly and would also go in to clean once a week.

So my question is, review or not review, and if I do, what do I say publicly and what remains in private feedback?  I don't want to come across as entitled but I feel there's a lot wrong here...

27 Replies 27
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Very nice, balanced response @Eloise0. You're 100% on point actually.
Anne44
Level 5
Winston-Salem, NC

It is difficult to be diplomatic in reviews sometimes.  Food for thought:  a prior commentor said something about price & expectations.  You referred to the price being very favorable.  If you are getting a bargain, then expectations can be bargain too.  It all depends on how big the bargain is--only you can judge that.  However, as a host I would appreciate some one telling me their concerns in advance.  Best wished on getting this resolved comfortably. 

Norbert-June0
Level 1
Makati City, Philippines

You can always talk to them or tell them how you feel and what you are expecting from the listing.  Having booked the place several times already, and your stay isn't over yet, they can still make things up for you.  Unless everything had a big impact on the comfort level and overall experience, you may leave a negative review. But as long as you can negotiate with the host, you may give them a fair rating-- the least that the same host like you would want to have.

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

As a traveler, I have stayed in 14 dollar motels that were spotless and some that were fairly questionable.  

You are paying for a clean bed and bath.  Toilet paper is a no brainer..I leave 4 or 5 extra rolls in the loo.  If the mirror was flecked to the point of a guy noticing, the floor was probably full of stray hairs as well.  A hook or two for clothes is also a given.

you aren't doing anyone a favor by softsoaping  the kind of disorder that disturbed you....neither your hosts who need to clean up their act nor future guests.

I would give a two star and  also comment on their "niceness".

Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

For me it would be a deal breaker when the host walks in on me and then having no toilet paper for days and having to steal “some paper from a café”.  I would run away screaming after seeing the dirty dishes left on the table and used pots and pans everywhere; but then that is just me.

Where do they find guests who give this place 5 stars if it’s like this?  I just don’t get it!  My guests have judged me so harshly and gave 4 stars for not having a dishwasher in the studio kitchen and not putting out restaurant menus for them to read.

How is this even remotely acceptable?  I agree with @Amy38  - 2 stars and then mention that they were very nice.

Boy, Airbnb is one crazy and inconsistent and confusing place to me!

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

What a dilemma! I'm curious about the sheets issue. When I first used Airbnb it was just like renting a furnished house. We stayed 3 weeks and I never met the host. She didn't come by to clean! So when I rented a second place for about 8 nights I was very surprised to learn that the host intended to come in and clean and change sheets etc for us mid stay. Does this hosts profile suggest what they will do, or is there anything suggesting that you will have access to a washing machine (aka do all your own washing.) I could never host a private room in my own house. My benches are often untidy and have Lego on them- that's kinda the nature of a busy house with little kids. But I think you have to raise the standard if you are hosting. In the same way I don't invite friends over without tidying before their arrival.

I have had several long term guests and never thought to change their sheets.  I leave 2 extra sets in the apt, as well as many extra towels.  There is a washing machine.  My assumption is that they would want privacy.  I do provide trash pickup regularly as well as regular check-ins to see if they want anything.

i have never had a mid-range rental,  but I would probably offer to change the sheets after a week if they liked.

I have a separate Airbnb apartment at my home, but not inside my main house where I live. The unit I offer has a washing machine for guests to use but no dryer, so I offer to launder long term guest's sheets and towels for them weekly; and also there are extra sets of sheets and extra towels in the unit as well.  Some guests want to wash sheets themselves and then give them to me to dry and fold but other guests just let me wash and dry them.  The main thing is try to have good communication, clearly state what the deal is in the listing and then have them read the listing to make sure they know what the deal is before they book.

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

this an interesting conversation from two perspectives.

on the one hand i never thought of a guest staying with me for 7 days let alone 14 or more.  for starters it would be wierd, because what would you do here for 14 days.  but also because my current ideas about host protocols extends no further than a number of singles, couples or groups staying maximum 3x nights.  so now i am thinking about what my protocols will have to be if people stay longer.  thank you for all for that.

on the other hand there are the grey areas and there are many of them because as has been stated, whose idea of 5* is the base line.  first i'm a believer in getting what you pay for.  if you're paying $750/night and the toilet paper runs out...thats already a deal breaker.  you don't expect that kind of oversight from housekeeping in such a place.  if you're paying $7.50/night expect to bring your own toilet paper.  probably best to bring your own sheets while you're at it.

i've never done a review.  don't know if i ever will.  i generally like to sort things out between myself and the other party in private.  but just reading the 'help centre' info 'How do star ratings work?' you already have your answer. 

with regard to this 5*-ing business.  if you thought you got what you expected for $7.50/night then i guess its a 5*.  if you ran out of toilet paper in a $750/night establishment, thats an issue but you're likely not going to value the toilet paper higher than the room itself, the articles de toilette, the bed and pillows, cleanliness etc.  if you're concerned about the individuals then i'd talk to them.  give them the opportunity to correct the error of their ways.  ps put a sign on the bedroom door - in/out. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mary-Ann0 @Em4....... @Zandra is no doubt long gone from the site of this topic, but has bought up some really interesting points. Hosts reviewing hosts is very unfair! We all have a differing set of values between hosting and being a guest. It is more than probable that if the tables had been reversed Zandra's host would have had a similar opinion of Zandra's house. That's not to say that Zandra's house is anything less than immaculate. When you are a guest, and more particularly a long term guest, little things you didn't even notice in the beginning take on an annoying slant and the longer you are there the more it gnaws away at you!

I really appreciate it when a guest tells me of something I could have done better...I do take it on board and make sure I don't have to hear that comment again.......so....I would say something along the lines of "Thanks for your great hospitality, as a guest it's nice to see how others do what I do. I will give you a good review and your house has been great value for money but, as a fellow host I would love to make a comment which I hope you would understand. When you host you have to put yourself in the shoes of the guest and as you move around your house ask yourself, if I was the guest, what would I think of this! I make a point of doing that and, you never know, it may make you a more polished host"!

Some people would be offended by that but others would be appreciative....and I know what camp I would want to be in!!

Cheers.....Rob

Jacqui32
Level 1
Knysna, ZA

How can giving that a 5 be ok?

I got a 4 for accuracy (and they explained that my home was so much more beautiful in real life than the photo's depicted!) that should have earned me a 6* not a 4*

There seems to be no even standard

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Jacqui32

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!  That's the funniest and saddest thing I read all day. :))

Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

@Jiw0 and @Jacqui32

The category for “Accuracy” is, according to Airbnb, one of my downfalls that I “have to work on” because I have gotten 4 stars in that category too.  It is perplexing and what happened to Jacqui IS sad and reminds me why I’m angry at Airbnb for putting so much pressure on us hosts for the 5 stars when they don't fully explain the system to the guests.  And well as I think of it, if they did many guests wouldn't read it anyway. A lot of guests just don’t take the time to read things – I think they just want to book and then have a trip – and what guest would have the time and inclination to analyze how this star system affects us hosts anyway?

I used to be irritated at the guests when they gave me 4 stars instead of 5 but now I am thinking it is all the Airbnb system and not necessarily the guest’s fault for not understanding the system and that a 4 star grade is so detrimental to us hosts at Airbnb.