I don't know what to think about my first hosting experience :(

Ermelinda1
Level 1
Caracas, Venezuela

I don't know what to think about my first hosting experience :(

First of all I should have turned this guy down from the start because my gut was telling me to, but I was so excited to get the first reservation that I didn't. Please, I need advice about how to review this guy and I need to know if he will see my review before he can post his, I don't want to get a bad review because honestly I think I did a good job and it's my first experience. HELP.

This guy booked on the same day he wanted to arrive (for 2 nights), which is fine, but he began being "a little too nice" texting me before coming over. Saying that he would like to buy me a beer and if I was pretty, that he lvoes massages and whatching movies. WEIRD I KNOW. Still, I let him come for the reasons I exposed above.

After he arrives he says he want to go to the pool, I say that he can go (I work at home), but no, he want me to go with him. Since I like to be straight forward I said I had a boyfriend and I am not interested on having any type on encounter with him. He said he was sorry and that was it. Then at night he brought up the movie thing again. Honestly I didn't want to watch a movie with him but I set up the TV for him (took it out of my room and put it in the living room) and told him he can use my laptop for movies and whatever. He didn't use it. 

I included breakfast on the reservation and took my time to make everything look neat on the table, I love details. He didn't have breakfast and said he felt bad. I asked if there was anything he needed and replied that it was emotional and needed a hug. All of these conversations where by text messages, in my face he never told me anything. Of course I ignored the hug comment, which to me was again another way of having a physical encounter or something. Later, when I asked him how he was feeling he said great!! and I asked him: oh so you feel better now? I think he forgot he was supposed to be depressed or something. He then asked me where he can get a massage :S I left him a phone number on a piece of paper, he didn't even pick it up.

Finally he decided to leave one night before because "he's allergic to my cats and he needs to go back to where he is staying". Ah, that's another red flag here: why does he need to book a place on AirBnb if he has a place to stay on the same city? Now I don't know what to do. I want to say that I felt uncomfortable with some comments he said and with propositions that to me go beyond the hosting agreement, even if he was not direct, I'm not an idiot and I get it. I don't want him to read it before he gets to write his feedback, this is just my first experience and I'm hoping they are not all this bad.

5 Replies 5
Ermelinda1
Level 1
Caracas, Venezuela

I forgot to mention that he asked me several times if me and my other roommate have a boyfriend and if they live with us. Why would he need this information?

Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

He can't see your review until he has already written his and then they can't be changed. Write an honest review. This guy has gone way beyond the boundaries. What a weird first experience!  Don't let it put you off, I am a single woman who hosts alone and have often hosted single men and I have never had anyone behave like this. I have only had awesome experiences.  Do warn future hosts and good luck with your next bookings. 

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

You cant see each others review until BOTH are made.

Just be honest & simple with your review "this guest made me uncomfortable and therefore i cannot recommend him"

You dont have to go into alot of emotional detail, we just want to know if hes a thumbs up or a thumbs down!

@Ermelinda1   Sounds creepy.  If you write anything personal in a review Airbnb will more than likely delete the review. Best to thumb down and flag him.  Also contact Airbnb and let them know.  As he lives in the same town as you and as mentioned Airbnb could delete your review if personal,  I would write something objective and bland that can serve as a warning to future hosts rather than mention inappropriate behavior.  A suggestion, maybe change your profile picture with an image of you and your boyfriend it will attract less people looking for a single woman to mess with. Just mentioning this as I know people who have had the same experience and changed their photos and didn't have the problem again.

Thank you so much, I'm changing the photo right away!!!!!