I have been supplying items for guest for 6 years now !

Michaela73
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

I have been supplying items for guest for 6 years now !

I am kind of sick of getting notices from Airbnb that ......

We just supply the basics for guests. We have been doing that since day one when we started 6 years ago  .

It is insulting to send these notices to hosts who already give and give anbd give some more . 

We clean 12 hours a day ,, before , during and after a guest stays .

We have always provided , Toilet paper, soaps , shampoos , towels , hand towels,

dish towels , wash clothes , pillows , all the bedding and extras . We give maps , directions, advice , suggestions .

Always , who wouldn't ? 

Our prices in Albuquerque New Mexico are so low I am unsure how any of us here make it ? 

I what to be supported not scolded . please 

thanks Michaela M. ABQ, NM 

24 Replies 24
Michaela73
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

oooppsss, type O ,, I want to be supported ,,,

Sharnette0
Level 1
Dover, PA

I’m a new host and I was wondering what guest  find most helpful and the things I should provide. Thank you for your post, it’s helpful. 

Check @Michaela73 above. 

They are doing a great job in New Mexico. 

Regards Christine 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michaela73

Michaela, don't take any notice of these program generated posts. It is not just restricted to supplied condiments, the pop ups that appear throughout every level of the hosts listing page, to most of us are an insult. You know what you need to do to be a good and competitive host....make a plan with what you do and supply and stick to it.

The ones I get annoyed about are the pricing tips. Hosts who have a need to keep a steady stream of guests arriving to pay the mortgage and in slow times may be succered into using pricing tips which could see them inadvertantly honouring a reservation which puts them into a negative financial situation making that mortgage payment even harder to find. Airbnb don't care, the platform is only interested in gaining service fees, nothing else....It's entirely about growing the business!

I do go a bit overboard with what I supply but it is not a financial thing to me, it's a hosting thing.

The only thing I thrash out with guests is not to mention in the supplied review any extras that may be on offer to some guests, because when a guest says how much they appreciated that meal, that taxi ride, it becomes an expected anticipation for future guests who feel let down if the same thing does not happen to them. 

@Sharnette0, supply as much for your guests as you feel comfortable with and dont take any notice of what Airbnb suggests, you are the host, not Airbnb.

I offer a cheese plate as my signature item.'......

IMG20170308185434 05.jpg

I get an abundant supply of cheeses from my local supermarket for a really good price so I can turn on a $20 cheese plate for less than $1......guests don't know that but, they are all delighted when they see it.

There is an expectation that you will supply basic things like toilet paper, soap and possibly shampoo although a lot of guests have their own shampoo they like to use. It is always wise to include as a basic, bottled water in the fridge.

I do offer female guests a new cheap shower cap so they can keep their hair dry and they do appreciate that. I also supply up-market face wipes and moisuriser to try and prevent my linens from looking like Custers Last Stand after a nights celebration.

Sharnette you will learn with experience what you guests would like you to include, good luck with your hosting!

Cheers.....Rob 

@Robin4,

I am always delighted by your insightful writing. I just wanted to say I often read you and your thoughts leave me having bigger thoughts.

I promise to come and visit you both when I go to Australia.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elizabeth429

Thanks Elizabeth your words are so kind.

I have hosted other Airbnb hosts on about 8 occasions now and every one has been a wonderful experience, and I think there are a couple of reasons for this.

A/. My listing does not appeal to party goers or people out for a good time. It appeals to travellers or couples who want a break from the everyday. It appeals to people who want to be hosted.

B/. I am in a position where I can offer the hand of friendship. I live on the property, I am a social person and I have the opportunity to look the guest in the eye and just speak with them without the need to convey advice or solve a problem....I can just 'chit chat' and, as you know, it is chit-chat that breeds frienships.

Hosts who don't have a personal involvement with the listing and the hosting are at a decided disadvantage to me, they don't have that human to human contact that is so important. The guest treats the experience more like a hotel than hosting, they don't get a 'warmth' from it like they do in a true hosting environment.

Not every hosting is going to be perfect, as I have found out recently, but, it is far easier for me to extract a good review that someone who hosts from a block away, a town or a city away!

Would love to think that might transpire Elizabeth. The cottage door will always be open for you, there is a good selection of literature and there could even be a bottle of wine or two on the table for you so it could be a good fit for your travels.

All the best.

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4. To paraphase, don't take any notice of those automated posts. 

That's  what I  am currently struggling with too. The more experienced and the harder you work to care and provide, the more offensive and unsettling they can be. Thats for sure. 

In the words of Ta-te shake it off shake it off!

Regards Christine 

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

Your kitchen splashback looks incredible. Is it difficult to clean? We need to install a splashback in our own place, but finding one is more difficult than we anticipated.

@Noel63  Fascinating- you call it a splashback, Americans and Canadians call it a backsplash!

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Sarah977That is interesting. To be fair there are also some Australians who call it a backsplash, but most of the time over here I here it called a splashback.

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

I’ve been giving all the essential and more, since I started Airbnb. Why? Because that’s what I would like when being a guest. Work out what you can afford, and then decide what you think will work best with your guests, individually, or with each new arrival. If you want to find out what they might need, then ask a couple of friendly questions? Most guests are happy to give of their story, which helps you to tailor anything extra in a personal way.  @Michaela73 and @Sharnette0@Robin4 is correct in advising you to ignore the computer generated Airbnb “advise” emails. The price tips make steam come out of my ears! I wouldn’t want to wash bedding for the prices they want me to set. Set your own criteria and guidelines, for that’s what will make you a true host who is also happy with “your” service. Structure your service, your way.... 🙂

The price tips are so annoying. I couldnt pay the power bill and the cable if i rented every night at the “suggested” price. And i so lve the notices that 5 other people considered your property but rented elsewhere at an average 11 dollars cheaper per night” which is bs as i have the cheapest rental in 100 miles for a full size 3br house!

I’m offended by pricing tips too. Many of the new listings price so low I do not know how they make it!!!

Karen957
Level 2
Rockaway, NJ

I have to disagree.  I have been renting a condo for 15+ years and do not supply sheets and towels.  To do this, I will need to increase my rate by at least $150 per stay since I will need a service to deliver these items.  I do not live within driving distance to my unit and typically in the area where unit is located guests all supply these items.  How can Airbnb mandate this?  Will they soon mandate what color paint I should use?   Or the type of furniture I can have?  Airbnb core business is a website hosting service that provides an avenue for me to advertise.  To think they have any inout into my product is ridiculous.  How do they somehow think they can dictate amenities?   As long as it is clearly stated in the listing, and renters agree, then what is the problem?  

Does eBay have guidlines like if you are selling a battery operated device you must supply batteries?   Of course not, that would be ridiculous.  This is the same situation.