I just don't feel comfortable with an enquiry

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I just don't feel comfortable with an enquiry

I had a message today enquiring about staying in my home.  It was clear that the guest had not read my listing (he hadn't done all the things I ask in it like mention some code words and tell me a bit about himself and why he was visiting).  His picture was a photo of him in a mask!  He talked about renting my apartment (it is a private room) and his message was full of spelling mistakes.  It just didn't feel right and I feel so much better after declining and just saying "I don't think my place will be suitable for you".  It's important that we take care of our own comfort with the sort of people booking.  

5 Replies 5
Queenie0
Level 10
United States

Peter, I agree 100%. We are already trusting people - who else let's strangers stay in their homes? - without having to tolerate people who can't be bothered to read listings, or tell us something about themselves or even have a photo! I'm willing to walk most guests through the verification process but that can only be done if they can follow suggestions and answer questions.

The great thing with Airbnb is that is possible to screen guests.  There are different scenarios which can be frustrating though.  New member, no reviews (prevents instant booking for example depending on settings), have issues with verification or as we have experienced the credit card was declined on the first go.

The only answer to guests you don't feel comfortable hosting is to decline.  If there is a situation, and it has happened, where the enquiry feels extremely out of bounds just report the potential guest to Airbnb. 

We have  had a couple instances where we have rang support and  *poof* - issue solved.  I have to admit I do appreciate the host support from Airbnb.  Even though we are the product, the company is not afraid to support and delivers exceptionally well for everyone that opens their home to guests.

Most of the time, we do as Queenie and Ted do - help potential guests to a point but never let them dictate terms to us 🙂

He actually added a profile picture, lucky you! 🙂

Often I don't even have that.   That said, the AirBnB site is really good in getting guests to tell you a bit about themselves.  I've also used other holiday rental sites in the past and AirBnB is a complete blessing compared to that.  On other sites peopel seem to treat it as making an anonymous hotel booking and I'm lucky to even get a name.

Spelling mistakes by themselves is not a concern for me; English is not everyone's first language.   I even get inquiries written completely in Chinese.  (Google Translate is pretty good now with Chinese... 😉 )

The place we rent out is actually not our own home, so that takes a whole lot of concenrs out of the equation (while adding some others 😉 )   At first we were a little careful with accepting people but after two years of almost exclusively great people we even enabled the automatic booking approval feature (for guests with prior reviews). 

But yes.. if you're uncomfortable then just decline it.  No harm done.

Marie21
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Hi Peter i am European and host and english not my 1st language so spelling mistake i make it myself a lot. that should not only play.

Just my 2 cents

Spelling mistakes or calling your home an apartment is foreigners where English is not their first language. That wouldnt bother me. I often get requests to stay in my apartment. I offer a private room in a house. I politely say that. they confirm and ask for directions to the apartment. Its a language and cultural thing. In some countries there are few houses in the city.