I'm a host and a future party canceled. A request to refund money was rep'd and they haven't stayed.

Lori271
Level 2
Manhattan Beach, CA

I'm a host and a future party canceled. A request to refund money was rep'd and they haven't stayed.

I received money from all reservations after they have arrived. This is my second cancelation and first request for funds? I personally haven't received any money since they were'nt supposed to be here for another 3 months. what's up with this?

13 Replies 13
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lori271

their cancellation has nothing to do with you and you don't have to do anything. They will be or will not be refunded according to your cancellation policy.

It is between them and Airbnb .

In some cases Airbnb will call you and ask you if you would like to waive your policy and refund more then you should. You can refuse or agree, it is up to you.

Never ever cancel by yourself or you will be penalized.

If you receive a message something like : " Your guest wants to cancell, do you agree? " You should not agree or you will be penalized.

Guest can cancel by themseves, they don't need you to agree .

Here you can read all about cancelation policies (flexible, moderate, strict... etc..)

https://www.airbnb.com/home/updated_cancellation_policies

Thank you very much. It isn't straightforward at all. Airbnb should change this. I did have a party want me to cancel once, but I was aware that I'd be penalized so I told them they needed to cancel on their end. In this case, I will agree to the refund of their deposit since they were booked out so far inadvance and they should get a refund. However, I was unaware that I was somehow connected to an Airbnb hold on funds.  Thank you again!

I wanted to add that I went back into my settings and I was at Flexible cancellation. So it makes no sense why Airbnb contacted me. I did agree to the refund since it wouldn't be right for me to keep it, but Flexible allows people to cancel one day prior to arrival. So confusing....

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lori271  Change your cancellation policy to at least moderate so you don't get last minute cancellations or changes to reservations. Strict would be better in my opinon, but then you don't qualify for the Work Collection. Based on your flexible policy they will be refunded in full minus service fee's from AirBnB as @Branka-and-Silvia0 say you do nothing. AirBnB will handle the cancellation and all refunds.  

Thank you Letti.  I will do that now. However, I thought I was a business flexible cancellation. I'll check that now.  I wish it was easier and that I wasn't notified of an Airbnb hold. I'm actually one removed from that.  Thanks again!

I checked my cancellation policy. I was on flexible. I have changed it to moderate. So this still doesn't answer why I was asked to refund their deposit?  Still confused on that...... I did agree to refund because didn't want the people to think I was the problem.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lori271

I don't understand who asked you and what to refund . Could you make a screen shot or copy/paste the message you received? It would be easier for @Letti0 or me to clarify it .

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lori271  Please tell me you did not send an actual refund of any kind to the guests? It's not up to you to refund, the guests did not read about cancellations and refunds. They are incorrect to be asking you for a refund. With your flexible policy AirBnB will automatically refund them everything minus the service fee's. AirBnB does not actually charge the guests a deposit, they only say they could be charged if there is damage. So there is no deposit to refund. Unless the guest is referring to the Pay Less Up Front plan where they only paid 50% at booking, but even if that's the case AirBnB handles all the money issues, not you. Refund nothing as you have recieved nothing and will not recieve anything. If you did refund them anything at all you need to contact AirBnB immediately to get it reversed. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

I did. Can I start a dispute with Aribnb and the guests?

@Lori271  This is probably going to be a huge nightmare for you to get your money back. Just so you are aware some hosts do not get their money back. They end up eating it. Go to the Request for Money and charge them for it. Was it the security deposit you refund? If so tell explain to them they were never charged this money that they can check their charge statements to verify it and they need to send it back immediately. In the mean time call AirBnB and get an investigation started. Ask that it be escalated, so you do not have funds taken from your next booking. AirBnB will take the money out of your future bookings, so be prepared for that. You are going need you to call more than a few times to keep escalating your investigation, unless the guests are honest and refund you immediately. If it was the booking you refunded to them tell them that AirBnB has refunded them already and then you did, so they are receiving a duplicate refund that they need to send back to you ASAP. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Lesson #347: Guests always think the host gets instally paid when they make a reservation. Why they tend to as hosts for a refund.

Correction: 'ask the host'

Lori271
Level 2
Manhattan Beach, CA

Update: I spoke in length with airbnb and the person on the phone was helpful. I tracked my banks and. did not see a direct payment going to the future quest. So I'm thinking I just released and "agreed" to pay the cancelling guest and Airbnb will have to pay them the money.  I checked the method of payment I have set up to receive funds from guests and do not see that I sent Airbnb or the guests any real funds.  The lesson here is to ignore such requests and wait to get a call or email from the resolution section of airbnb that takes care of paying and refunding people. Not in a negative way; they handle that part of the tansaction. It's not a good setup in play.  I certainly did not want to tie up a future guest's money, but I don't ever want to throw it out either.  Thanks everyone!!!!