I'm pretty new so welcoming some advice.

Shiloh3
Level 2
Haleiwa, HI

I'm pretty new so welcoming some advice.

I just got a request from someone with no reviews and no posted profile picture.  They simply said.. "we are jut passing through so we just need the code".  Meaning to our door.  I just feel a little sketched out.. Wondering how to handle this request. 

How would you respond to this? 

Shiloh

2 Replies 2
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Shiloh3

If you do not feel confortable, do not accept the booking.

Trust your gut instinct.

Regards

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Shiloh3

Hello Shiloh and welcome to hosting with Airbnb.

First and foremost @Roberta2 is correct...you do not have to host a guest you do not feel comfortable with.

Having said that do not be tempted to have any dealings with a guest outside of the Airbnb system!

What happens is, a potential guest can join Airbnb simply with a current email address and a phone number, but they cannot proceed to a reservation unless they have provided verification to Airbnb's requirements....and those requirements include a photo to that is an identifyable match for their current drivers licence or Passport photo.

So, if they can book, they have to have satisfied Airbnb they are who they say they are. Also to be able to book they have to be able to pay Airbnb up front for that reservation and Airbnb will hold their payment in trust for you until they arrive.

If the guest has satisfied these requirements you will receive a confirmation which will be accommpanied with a reservation code that will look something like this.....HMDF86JFKlM

Shiloh if you have not received that notification with a confirmation code that looks something like that you do not have a confirmed booking and under no circumstance give out any property identifying information. Simple say to them in the message stream....."Once you have proceeded to a confirmed reservation Airbnb will provide you with all property information you require" and leave it at that. It is always wise not to provide an entry code until just before the guest arrives as some unscrupulous guests in the past have been known to cancel a reservation once they have access details to a property!

If you want further help with this Shiloh either come back here, or else send me a direct message via my profile picture and I will try to help you further.

Cheers......Rob