I'm spoiling airbnb guests and raising the bar because I actually care. Who knew?!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I'm spoiling airbnb guests and raising the bar because I actually care. Who knew?!

We had a really fun and interesting family from the UK stay with us last summer. They (just mom & dad) are back in the USA now but vacationing on the wet coast. I guess we spoiled them here in Georgia last year because I recieved this message from him recently about his current airbnb stays...

Hi Donald. Can you tell me as an Airbnb host what the deal is with providing drinks , snacks and most importantly breakfast ? As you set a very high bench mark we have been very disappointed with basic provisions on this trip.

I responded and told him that I do actually care about my guests stay and make an extra effort to be sure they're comfortable. 

Well we are totally aware you go above and beyond but we would rather pay another $10 on the price to save having to go out again and search for coffee, milk and cerial after a day driving. I have mentioned this to all our hosts so far. Some agree but one came back with "You broke our futon!" ... we didn't break their futon at all. Thanks for the info. I will contact Airbnb about it i think. Tell them to warn all travellers of the dangers of staying in California! Lol. Thanks Donald

I responded that many airbnb hosts are just letting you stay on their property to help make their sky high mortgage payment and they're actually kind of put-off by you being there. 

I am now realising this , its very apparent here that we are just paying the mortgage! The futon woman had all these notes pinned all over the kitchen from people raving about how great it was there, ....it wasn't and i told her.

39 Replies 39
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You should see the store room, filled with the best of snorkeling equipment, inflatables, binoculars, etc: someone this July is bringing a full diving system and leaving it (rolls eyes).

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It sounds like you have a cave of wonders developing @Fred13. Your guests must love opening your store room!

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13 Are there no certificate regs for diving there in Belize Fred!!

I would seriously love to get the gear on again, but I am not certified any more and I am too old to be bothered going through all that buillsh*t  and paying money for that which I already know!

Cheers.....Rob

I hear you. Yesterday was by this island working on the bottom of my big boat; an intro-diving group came and the instructor was so annoying and egotistical I wanted to punch him in the face. LOL

A lot of my guests are certified, what attracts them to the whole scene in the first place. I am trying to start Snuba in southern Belize, to skip the diving 'heavy' scene.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Here in the south east of this state we have limestone country dotted with water filled caves....guaranteed 300ft underwater visibility. Fred you have to see these caves...... google Piccaninnie ponds and you will see what I mean!

I, in younger years went down to 186 ft as a relief diver in the process of setting a new underwater depth record in this state of 225 ft! That was in the year 1968! And Fred it was so scary! Down below was always just inky black. At the surface I could see the other side of the sink hole which was 150ft in diameter. At 100 ft l could not see the other side any more, at 150ft all I could see was faintly the yellow webbing on my suit....up above was just a faint silvery glow and down below was still just, inky black! At 180ft I was in complete darkness, I felt claustraphobic and felt the need to have my torch on all the time to stop the wall of the sink hole closing in on me. I was always safe because I was teathered to a rope and I guess I was not a true trail blazer! I did not go down to the 225 ft....but @Fred13, I loved the experience and nobody, not even God will ever take that away from me!

Cheers.....Rob

What an experience! Like Cousteau diving the Belizian 'Blue Hole' for the first time, not sure if they ever have found an end to it.

I was diving in the Phillipines (Luzon) and hit a wall and got sucked down with two friends so deep we thought it was all over, we dropped some weight and slowly descended and ended up 1/4 mile out from this crazy island with wild water-buffalo on it, surrounded with massive sharks waiting for the cattle to make a mistake. From that day onward, I been backing off diving!

I like you Fred! LOL! You say it like it is. 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

@Donald28 I'm a California host.  I provide breakfast, serve up fresh made Sangria and Margaritas at least once during every guest's stay, and provide lots of attention and details.  Don't generalize.  

@Donald28

I state in my listing that I don't provide meals (and technically I don't).......but depending on how we get along with our guest, we often just invite them to join us for a meal or snack. Most of our guests mention this in their review and we are fine with it. We like getting to know our guest and sharing a meal or a drink while chatting if we happen to be in the kitchen at the same time. The reason we insist that we "do not provide meals" is because we don't want guests to think they can treat us like we offer "room service". Henry and I will order/cook what we want, when we want - if the guest happens to be home and would like to try some of what we are having, it's just a matter of setting another place at the table 🙂 And most of our guests have been kind enough to reciprocate, each in their own special way!

But just because this is how I do it, does not mean I would expect other hosts to be the same. Each host, each listing, each host's reason for hosting is different that that should be respected.

Felicia169
Level 1
Chișinău, Moldova

Are guests expected to replace my personal groceries (like coffee or bars of chocolate, drinks and other) they used?