I need to edit a review

I need to edit a review

I wrote a review based on my interaction with the guest.  When I went to inspect the property is was a mess.  Damages have exceeded $1500.  I want the review to reflect this so that this individual is not able to rent again on Airbnb and to save other hosts the headache.

The rules say that if it's after 48 hours I cannot change it but also there is a loophole as long as the guest hasn't submitted his review yet then I can still edit mine.  However, I"m unable to do so.  Does anyone know what the real rule is?

the customer service people will not respond. 

very frustrated at this point.

13 Replies 13
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Arthur112 This may help https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/367/can-i-edit-a-review-i-wrote

You can change your review for up to 48 hours after it's written. However, if your guest reviews you before then, you can no longer change the review, even if it's been less than 48 hours. That policy ensures that there are no retaliatory reviews. If the 48 hours has elapsed, you're out of luck. 

You probably know this now, but you should never review a guest without checking the property. 

They have not posted their review yet Airbnb now tells me that the 14 day window expired a few hours ago and I can't edit it based on that now.

And my reveiw said "they were very communicative, hope they had a good time".  I was traveling.

When I went and checked my property it was absolutely destroyed.  Burns in the carpet, broken chair, trash strewn all over the house and property.  I actually was in tears when I saw it. 

So now this guy has a decent review, I'm out roughly 2K, and have little to no chance of getting reimbursed by Airbnb.  I did my online research and have realized this company does not care about it's hosts.

I will be deleting both of my listings and utilzing other sources to rent moving forward.

@Arthur112I hate to break it to you, but none of the rental sites are going to support you: you need to protect yourself with guest vetting and insurance. I had a drunk driving guest damage my property when my property was rented through HomeAway, and they did nothing. There is no Holy Grail of private rental sites that's going to help you out in these situations.

That's good to know and unfortunate.  I understand the "sharing" economy.  Just unfortunate that people can get away with this.  I mean I guess I'm somewhat at fault for not being able to prevent this from happening again to someone else.  Regardless it wasnt' going to change my outcome. 

Tell me about Vetting.  I'm told to Instant book.  If I have to review them first I'll get less bookings.  If I do instant book then I can't vet really. 

What I did do was change my settings that only allows people that have guest reviews on to book my location.  This was a first time renter and I"ve had several others that have been questionable and violated my house rules against parties.

Is this about as good as I can do?  Tell me how you vett properly without discriminating or costing yourself rentals.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

A while ago (last summer?) I was able to edit my review, @Arthur112. But I have learnt so far not to take anything for granted on Airbnb. If you read the forums, you'll see that guests are liars. From my experience, some 50% deserve to be hosted and some 30% are really worth caring for.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

yes I had a horrible experience and one that brought me to tears.  the fact that Airbnb wants to allow this invidiual to rent from others' on this site proves to me that they do not care about the Hosts.  I'm out several thousand dollars, I need to update my review, and because of a 14 day rule that I passed by 4 hours, they will not allow me to edit.

I'm done with Airbnb.  They have horrible customer service for hosts as I've read and now experienced myself.

I had a horrible experience as a guest that brought me to tears as well.  I had bed 🕷 bugs, broken air conditioning and a shower curtain rod fall on my head and yet Airbnb will still allow her to be a super host.  They clearly don’t care about guests OR hosts.  Sooooo fellow guests if you are thinking of renting in Delray Beach, Florida from Kimberly BEWARE !!!!

@Arthur112 I so sorry this happened to you and your property!

Regardless of which booking platform you end up using, please refrain from writing your review until you have had a chance to inspect your property!

Have you tried to file a claim with Airbnb? I know people might have said you would be wasting your time, but it would seem foolish to not even try to file a claim. Hosts have had their damages paid for, you know.

sorry see below.  I did file the claim however i've not heard from anyone at this point.  The guest originally had blocked my phone number when I initially contacted him.  I used another phone and when he realized who i was he blocked that number as well.  Such a shame I feel like I'm dealing with a child in this matter. 

thanks for all of that.  I filed a claim and didn't get a response from the renter at 72 hours.  Now going on day 4 and I've not heard from Airbnb either.  Concerns me to say the least.

@Arthur112 I imagine you can follow up about it, but Airbnb might just tell you they are still trying to either contact or deal with the renter. How did the process of submitting your claim go for you?

The process was fairly straigthforward, but limited.  I had three separate claims to enter and they will only let you do one.  I had burned carpets, a broken chair, and excessive cleaning fees.  I could only submit one however and the site doesn't allow multiple line items for each respective claim.  So I don't know what is going to happen.  I uploaded pics and was told the guest has 72 hours to counteroffer.  If we can't come to terms I'll defer to Airbnb but again, I don't have any faith in them at this point. 72 hours has passed and I've yet to hear from Airbnb about the next steps. 

I'll keep everyone updated. 

@Arthur112 that is interesting.

I know other hosts have submitted claims that include multiple damages (such as burned carpets, broken furniture, and extra cleaning all at once). I am not sure why it seems yours was limited to just one thing.

Can any hosts who submitted claims for multiple items shed any light on this?