I've Now Been Promoted to FTD Florist

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I've Now Been Promoted to FTD Florist

Someone recently wrote about odd requests or odd guests on this platform.  Now I can't find it.

A couple is coming next week; sent the usual blah-blah-blah message about how to get here, what are your food allergies, yada yada yada.

The guy is from a Latin American country and that's mad cool because I like it when my peeps come to my house.  The iPod playlist gets really, really interesting.

Anyway, Mr. Guest asked if I would pick up some flowers to put in the room for Mrs. Guest with a note and her name on it.  Mr. Guest specified what flowers he wanted.

What the Frigg???  Really???

So now the question was, who is expected to pay for this?

I didn't know how to come out and ask that question without seeming like a letch, so I wrote this:

Not a problem.  How much do you want to spend?  For $15, I can get something from a grocery store that I can put in a vase that will look rather elegant, for $50 I can get a little basket from a florist that looks pretty tacky in my opinion, or you can go hog wild and spend way more than that on a full-blown arrangement which will become a pain in the butt for you to take home.

He wrote back:  the grocery store is fine as simpler arrangements are more in line with Mrs. Guest.  Send me a cash  for $50.  You should be reimbursed for your time and gasoline.

BINGO..... some people really DO get it!

24 Replies 24
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Wendy-and-Frank0

You should from a relationship with the word "NO" it has great therapeutic properties.

regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Kraków III

@Cormac0 I'm super ok with doing extra, so long as guest understands it is Extra!

right @Wendy-and-Frank0 ??

@Kelly149

The Problem is they don't think its extra, there booking you apartment and they think its ok for the Host to put themselves out and get flower for them! give me a break.

Regard

Cormac

ECK III

@Cormac0, he offered me $50 for $5 flowers.

I think he gets it.

It's extra.

But I enjoy underpromising and overdelivering.

Right, @Kelly149?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Wendy-and-Frank0

I'm thinking I'd like a guest who thinks ahead enough to want to order his wife flowers!!

@Kelly149,

They're boyfriend/girlfriend.  I told him that if he proposed to her while here, she'd clock him over the head.

No woman wants a proposal on a sofa bed.  😛

@Wendy-and-Frank0 please don't say Sleepless in Seattle is every woman's fantasy. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wendy-and-Frank0 

Real gentleman 🙂

Sharon238
Level 2
Monument, CO

Sounds like a hotel concierge service.    If you choose to provide that for a fee, that could be an extra money maker.   Guess it depends on how much you want to accommodate the guest. 

First of all. You are talking openly about a guest in a not  respectful way.

If someone aks for a specific favor, you could communicate with them and making it clear that it is a favor. Some hosts even put fruits or flowers in their room upon arrival.  Which I would do, to make them feel welcome.  If theya come from another

country and maybe it is the first time to visit America, so they must be very excited. 

They are paying good money to stay in your home. Maybe he wanted to do something special, which is very nice.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I would use my standard reply :  Sorry, we don't offer that service. I might direct him to some local flower companies for delivery, but that's it. I have enough to do without running around for guests, even nice guests. 

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Wendy-and-Frank0 actually why not.Airbnb is for special people who enjoy life.

flowers are also a lot better than 2 cases of Budweiser Lite.

just saying.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Way to go, @Wendy-and-Frank0 , true hospitality does get recognized at times. And when it does, you'll get nicely compensated for your extra efforts, win-win for all! We all should be open to such scenarios instead of immediately blocking it with a negative response.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I thought your response, and his, were perfect, @Wendy-and-Frank0. Many thanks for sharing that.