I've been put in a very uncomfortable position today by a guest

Alexandra370
Level 2
Lisburn, United Kingdom

I've been put in a very uncomfortable position today by a guest

I have been put in a difficult position by a guest today as they had made a pending booking and did not verify their ID or message me.

I did not receive any communication regarding this from Airbnb, so I was not alerted.

The guest had assumed they had a reservation for this weekend. After his enquiry today,

I messaged him immediately saying that I hadn't received a booking, as stated above. 

After explainging that there was no booking and I had no accommodation anyway, they then verified their account, thus confirming the booking and I was forced to cancel!! I have now lost my Superhost status through what I consider no fault of my own? Annoyed.

6 Replies 6

@Alexandra370 - contact Airbnb.  You should never cancel without contacting them first.  And if you don't want to take last minute reservations, you can put a restriction on the last time you will take reservations using the Reservation Preferences https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1210/how-do-i-edit-my-reservation-preferences?topic=1028

Thanks Alice & Jeff, I would have contacted Airbnb, but can't find how to? I get that they don't really want direct contact but this was the only way I could vent my frustration!? 

Marko17
Level 5
Bled, Slovenia

if you didn't have available accommodation anyway, you should have blocked the dates in the calendar. It shouldn't be bookable anyway. You'll get your status back in the next period. 🙂 

Thanks Marko. This week was booked out, in fact it was only because my current guests wanted to extend their stay that I saw a 'pending booking' on my calendar - I had no other communication from Airbnb regarding this attempted booking. I tried to reject it but couldn't and then had a difficult email exchange with the guests. Anyhow, live and learn as they say!

@Alexandra370

AirBnB is a first come first served booking system and if you use Instant Book then a guest wanting to extend will not take precedence over a gust who has booked.

David

@Alexandra370 - go to the Tips and Tutorials section and find the "contact Airbnb" tutorial.  There are multiple ways to contact them.  IN addition, use Google.