I want to check the background of an upcoming guest

I want to check the background of an upcoming guest

I can't seem to look at previous reviews for an upcoming gueat or an inquiry

3 Replies 3
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Are you clicking on the guests profile?  If nothing is coming up then it's possible that the guest doesn't have any reviews.  If it's someone who's been a user since 2012 and has no reviews, I'd find it odd that they've been on the site for such a long time with no reviews, especially if they referernce having stayed at various airbnbs in the past.  Maybe no reviews in this case because the host preferred not to review rather then leave a bad one?  Most likely that's not it, probably a fairly new user with no reviews.

I just looked at your profile, and I see both reviews of your listings, and reviews that you've written for previous guests.

I go a bit further once I have the reservation confirmation.  I cyberstalk!  I look up the name to see if there's anything wonky that comes up with a quick search.  If I search and the first hit is a twitter feed with pictures of alcohol fueled partying, then I'll check in more often and do a random drop by to say hello (oh, I though you needed more towels, wait - are you having a party?)  conversely if I find out that someone is a marathon runner I might mention that there's a good running track nearby.  I  expect and am prepared for guests to cyberstalk me too.

It was my original assumption that AirBnB does background checks on their hosts.  I'm a host.  I didn't see any reference to security-checking when I signed up.  At the same time, is there any security-type check for guests that sign-up?  I will travel someday soon with AirB and would want to know that my host is clean and pre-approved.  I'm guessing that it all relies on reviews for both?

There is no 'security checking' = and not really sure what that means for you. There are no background checks either - this is not the police. All they do is verify that the person booking is who they say they are.

Hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses, self catering etc...don't do security or background checks on their guests either....

If that makes you feel uncomfortable then you will need to employ an agency to do do background checks for you - which is not cheap depending on what you want to find out.

As for staying with a host = reviews tell a lot - same as for guests, but then about 50% of our guests are first timers. Go with your gut feel