I wish to complain to AirBnB about a guest.

Helen190
Level 1
Balclutha, New Zealand

I wish to complain to AirBnB about a guest.

Can I complain about one of my guests please.  The most recent guest was lovely, but while I was away I rented my whole house on AirBnB. One guest, Charlotte, for whom I regret leaving a glowing review, walked in and said “Are the sheets clean?”  Julie (cleaner and receptionist) did not tell me this until after I left her review.  This is highly insulting because if I am offering the house on AirBnB, obviously the sheets are clean.  She then proceeded to take my to-do list out of the recycling bin and saw that “clean the shower” and “mop the floor” were not ticked.  This prompted her to say these areas were not clean, but I know for a fact that Julie, who is a professional cleaner, cleaned them.  They were ticked on her to-to list which was not left in the house.  The house was spotlessly clean when I got home after Charlotte left, so I find it very hard to believe that it was not spotless when she arrived.  Julie’s house is spotless so I know what her standards are.  Charlotte then admitted that she doesn’t clean, so either her house is filthy or she pays somebody to do it.  Julie got the impression it is filthy. I admit my house was untidy because I have a lot of stuff, but Charlotte has to understand that she rented a “home”.  I believe it says that on the listing.  It was not a minimalist guest property and I believe she got good value for money.  There will always be personal items on the kitchen table and bedrooms because it is my home. She should be thanking me for renting it to her like the others did, not being a bitch.  If she wants a 5 Star Motel go and stay at Rosebank Lodge for $160 a night for a maximum of 2 people per room. 

13 Replies 13
Judy1
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Helen190,

I am really sorry to hear that you had some unruly, entitled, and quite frankly rude guests. I completely understand your frustration and of course, if you had known sooner, you wouldn't have left such a glowing review. If she hasn't reviewed you yet, you can certainly go in and edit your review of her, but if you've both submitted you reviews, then I don't see a lot of room to file a complaint. The only thing I can think of is to flag her profile and leave a detailed description of what happened when they arrived. 

As you probably already know for next time, you should touch base with your cleaner to see how the guests were. That way you are kept updated on anything and you can follow-up with the guest during their stay. I have found that guests really appreciate it when you send them a follow-up message during their stay to see if they have found everything to their liking or if they have any issues. 

Lastly, there are always going to be one or two guests who stick their noses in the air and behave as though they are going to get a 5-star resort service. Don't let them get you down and throw your off your hosting game. When it comes time to review them, politely leave a few suggestions for the future under "private comments/feedback to your guest". 

All the best,

Judy 

Deb-And-Randy0
Level 2
Vicksburg, MI

I am not sure what to do! We have had wonderful reviews from EVERYONE.

Today a guest checked in and she has complained about every single thing! First, she said there were curdling items in the refrigerator and sent a picture of the fridge. There were things on the shelf but nothing that could curdle. I told her she could throw everything out in the fridge and I would deduct $50 off her cleaning fee. Then she said she brought her own cleaning supplies and would have to wipe out the entire fridge now. 

Then she asked how was she supposed to get their car in since there was no garage door opener. I told her where to find it. Still she wasn't happy.

Then she said she didn't think we allowed pets. I told her that we do and asked if there was a problem? She said she saw canned cat food but that food was from our cat 9 months ago. She said her husband has a severe allergy to cats and that he is already having a reaction. She said  they should have been made aware. I told her in the nicest way possible that it's in our listing that we accept pets. Also, if it's that severe of an allergy, she may want to check before booking.

Then she said they've rented 4 or 5 times at The Villages on AirBNB and they've all included a golf cart. When I explained that ours was an extra fee as we've discussed, she said she never heard of such a thing. I think she was angling for free use of the golf cart but no way.

Since we've never had a problem with any previous guests, I didn't check her reviews closely. Now that I have, I see she doesn't have any. Stange sinceon Air BNB

They are booked for two weeks. We have had two other requests that we have had to turn away. What should I do? Arrrrrgh..... Help 🙂

Deb

If you feel uncomfortable with this guest, make sure that all correspondence that you have had with this guest is recorded on the Airbnb message system and then call Airbnb to have the guest relocated. 

Augh I just had one of these!!! She complained that there was food in the freezer and my clothing in the wardrobe (despite clearly stating on the listing it was my home!) She complained about the cleanliness of the sheets which really stung - I checked them and I 'think' she was talking about a peg mark from the washing line? We try SO hard to give everyone such a nice experience and have previously just had glowing 5 star reviews and this one just made me want to throw in the towel.... 😞

Maura50
Level 2
Magherafelt, United Kingdom

I'm about to have a "Charlotte" come to stay with me!!! I wonder is it the same one!!! Anyway, I wanted to complain about the guest who has just left my property (it's a lovely - newly decorated -  self contained apartement in the basement of my home). This guy called Cem from Turkey, who of course thought the place was beautiful, has just left this morning, after a 6 night stay. He has left candle wax and waxy handprints on my newly painted bedroom walls, and I can't get it off; the kuxury shower unit was acually black, and the floor soaking wet; every dish was used, and not even a teaspoon of it wash washed; the curtains were pulled down in the livingroom/kitchen area; the sofa is totally stained; and there was rubish left all over the kitchen, plus all the lights were left on, and it was bright and sunny daytime!!! I'm new to AirBnB, so am afraid to review him negatively for fear that he will give me a bad review - any advice on this? 

Revews are not seen until both are posted or 14 days has gone by. So he can not see your review.

Not convinced it really makes much difference if you are a Guest.

David

@Maura50 Hi 🙂

I think you should take pictures and write to airbnb customer service as soon as possible. 

About the review - don't worry, the guest won't be able to read your review of him before AFTER he wrote his review of you. So please write an honest review so no other host will host this guest. 

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a terrible experience 😞 

Best, Sandra

Maura50
Level 2

Thanks Sandra, I have pictures, but had bother trying to upload them from my phone 😞 ... I've since managed to get them onto my laptop, but can't find where to upload them now 😞 ... I complained about the guest, and have asked for money to cover the damages, but haven't heard anything back as yet ... will try contacting aidBnB tomorrow again 🙂

Brent71
Level 1
New York, NY

Oh my! I'm sorry y'all are having these terrible experiences. I only rent out guest rooms in my apartment in NYC, so I'm ALWAYS here and I watch folks LIKE A HAWK because after doing this for 5 years now I've seen it all. 

Most recently I've had folks that love to trash my bathroom and then complain about how dirty it is. I had a pair of guests recently from Brazil. These people proceeded to make a watery mess in my guest bathroom which I didn't discover until the next day. By that time there was a mildewy odor about my bathroom and hallway that wouldn't quit for days after I'd cleaned. They left me a nice review but then gave me a 2 star rating for cleanliness and complained about the smell. 

I'm like.. y'all caused 'the smell.'

8-|

Maura50
Level 2

Some people are absolute animals eh? That's awful that they rated you based o their own filth!!!! 😞 

Toni-Leigh0
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

So is cleaning free in your places?

Toni-Leigh0
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

But Brent, you charge £80 for cleaning on one week?

Doesn't that cover a mess and mean the place should be spotless on arrival?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Toni-Leigh0 it is free at my place, does that mean guests have to be clean here and make a mess at hosts that charges a cleaning fee? Absolutely not the case. It is a matter of culture, messy guests will be messy no matter if they pay or not.