I would like to know how fellow hosts would rate Airbnb

Joa1
Level 10
Puerto Escondido, Mexico

I would like to know how fellow hosts would rate Airbnb

There seems to be a lot of discussion within the Airbnb community about guest reviews.  With many hosts feeling the Airbnb does not (and does not make an effort to) adequately explain to guests how the rating system works.  Another big issue seems to be that only 5 star reviews are satisfactory within the Airbnb framework.

I would like to hear how other hosts would rate Airbnb, their policies, their website, their customer service, and most importantly, their actions in relation to the host community.

35 Replies 35

Very well said @Branka0, and imagine that by lowering your price it will make it more difficult to continue to get 5-stars.

Sad but true...

Thanks for the laugh...:)

David1906
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Please, do yourself a favor and don't be a host.  All it takes is one bad expericne, which I just had, and you will find many like me who are now dealing with the huge headahce of trying to get Air B n B to simply do the right thing.  My house was destoryed by three drugs using kids and Air B n B decided to refund them their balance and now making me jump through hoops to collect for damages and cleaning.  It took 3 days to clean my house, which is in a nice area of Los Angeles.  A quite tree lined street with families.  Simply not worth it.  In my opinion.  

The Air B n B soltuion, for the record, is to contact the drug using guests to see if they are willing to pay for the damages and also if they would let me keep the money they paid me.  I bet if someone did a quick check on this, they would find that 100% of the time, the guest declined to pay for damages or allow the host to keep the money they so deserve. Not sure how this policy makes sense to anyone.  

I wouldn't put an entire house on Airbnb - to much trust in random people. In most cases it would be easier and more profitable to rent it full time - then you do background check etc. Add in ever tightening city restrictions, constant cleaning, taxes and the new madness of Airbnb plus and it's not worth it.

I'm happy to airbnb out an attached unit so it and I make it clear I am nearby in the listing, and meet almost everyone in person at some point. Even then I have had some crazies who play music and scream until 3am. And they know I am upstairs...

FernandoAntoni1
Level 2
Oranjestad, Aruba

Other very important issue about the 5 stars is the pricing, people undestand 5 stars as a 5 star hotel, the prices of a 5 star hotel is 5 times the price we have, so if AIRBNB pushes us to lower the prices why dont change the 5 star system?, we cant give 5 star service when we charge 20% compared to a 5 star hotel rate, the beds, furniture fixing bathrooms cost the same for them than for us, with the difference a 5 star hotel are companies that earn millons of USD, we DONT!!!!!  so stop making the prices lower , because the only thing is going to happend is make the hosts rent it for long term people, not turists and without hosts no AIRBNB , i know AIRBNB is so big that provably doesnt care about loose some hosts, but in some point AIRBNB is going to get competition that now doesnt exists, you are sucesfull because you have a diferent way and porcentage to charge people, but whatch out can be copied easily, so please take more care abut the hosts!!! 

Vijay19
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

Looks like 5 star rating doesnt matter if u opt for "Smart" pricing. I literally became a host 4 days ago and im booked for 56 days in advance because to the so called "Smart" pricing and then i also got a decent booking with my own pricing for one week, which means that price is king when it comes to bookings, and if ur listing an entire apartment like i did, then rating is pointless, because here the rating is for the Host and not the accomodation