ID Verification - is my information safe?

Mette1
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

ID Verification - is my information safe?

Hi,

I'm an AirBnB host and now I also wish to book somewhere for us on AirBnB.

I'm being asked to provide my ID Verification but by doing so I'm giving AirBnB some very personal information about me - something we are being told in Denmark never to share with anybody. I wish to book but I don't want to risk that my information is being misused. What to do?

Kind regards

Mette

1 Reply 1
Bohdan1
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi Mette,

Yes I went through the same process as a first time airbnb guest.  I also was reluctant to give out personal information but then I started to think about the risks the host takes in letting a stranger into his/her house or apartment. It seemed I really didn't have much choice if I wanted to stay at an airbnb place. So in the end I provided my driver's licence, photo of my self and a short video (I don't have facebook) about myself and reason for my trip. Once you've done the verification ID it's in their database and you hope it's going to be secure. Airbnb should put more effort in explaining how secure the personal information is because this is a serious matter with many airbnb guests. If you're concerned about identity theft; two ideas, first you may want to consider reissuing a new driver's licence it will have a different reference number (this is what you do when you think your credit card is compromised) also check the expire date. You will automatically be issued a new one after the old one expires. The second thought is based on an e-mail I read from a host stating that she would be willing to accept a guest without the airbnb verification ID as long as they present the documents once they arrive. When you have chosen an airbnb place then e-mail the host with your concerns and that you would be willing to show some ID like a passport which is now standard when checking in at any major hotel. It will be up to host; although, I'm not sure if airbnb will accept that. Try it see what happens. It's just that you have to do that every time you want to book with airbnb. Hope this helps.

Bohdan