If IB is inevitable, consider 2 vital refinements

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

If IB is inevitable, consider 2 vital refinements

As discussed in other posts, it seems clear that Instant Book is inevitable based on how Airbnb is driving guests toward it, with hosts expected to follow along.

It’s unfortunate, but there it is. As hosts, I don’t think we can boycott our way out of this mess. So maybe there’s a way to make IB more workable.  I propose two refinements.

No. 1: MORE OPTIONS IN THE INSTANT BOOK POP-UP WINDOW.

If you examine the “funnel” through which guests searching for properties now pass, you’ll note that before long, they see a pop-up window about the Instant Book feature. 2016-12-09.pngThe language used in that pop-up suggests that unless you press the red button that says “Show Me Instant Book Listings,” you won’t get to see those easy-to-book listings. Which of course isn’t true. At the same time, the language also suggests that by pressing that button, you’ll still see non-IB listings. This also isn’t true. Press that red button—the only option given to guests – and you’ll only see IB listings. All other listings disappear. I propose that guests see two options in that window.

"Show Me Only Instant Book Listings"

"Show All Listings That Meet My Criteria"

It's a simple software change. But it will make a big difference to hosts like us who'd rather not have IB imposed on us and are trying to live with it. Though frankly, a far better solution is to show all listings, but to list IB listings first for those who have selected the IB option: “Show Me Instant Book Listings First.” That way, if they don’t spot anything they feel fits their needs in the IB listings, they can scroll on to non-IB properties.

No. 2: GIVE INSTANT BOOK GUESTS A CHANCE TO SEE AND QUERY LISTINGS WITH ADDITIONAL VERIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.

Currently, hosts willing to activate Instant Book have the option to require guests have a "Government-issued ID" and "Recommendation from other hosts." This returns a little bit of the trust and safety elements that are lost when you go with generic IB. But if a host checks one or both of those boxes, then any guest who doesn't meet either of those checked criteria will not even see the listing in searches. In other words, if you check “Recommendations from other hosts,” then any newbie guest who selects the Instant Book filter will never see your listing. They just won't even know it exists.

Let me illustrate the impact of this: The other day we ran some rudimentary analytics on our own guest booking history and discovered that if we had both of those boxes checked since the day we first started hosting, then 75 percent of the guests who've stayed with us would never have seen our listing because they failed to meet one or both of those criteria.

If Instant Book is the way forward, just a couple of tweaks to the current search process could make a world of difference to hosts.

1. Allow guests who have selected the Instant Book filter (but who don't meet one or both of those additional requirements) to still see those listings that require it. When they select the "Book" button, you can deliver a pop-up window that says, "To book this property instantly, this host requires additional information about guests. But you can still Request to Book now and the host will have 24 hours to reply to your booking request."
  2. Then offer two buttons: "Yes, I'll Send A Booking Request Now" and "No Thanks, I'll Keep Looking"

This allows guests to still book the property they were all set to book, but they'll simply do it through the more traditional Airbnb process. And if they're not interested, they can just continue their search. It also allows guests who want to retain some control over who occupies their guest space a chance to secure bookings that would have been wiped out by the shortcomings of the IB system as it exists.

PLEASE consider implementing these refinements. If Airbnb hosts are going to have to live with IB, these small adjustments could make a world of difference.

Response from Airbnb

Being able to book instantly, without waiting for the host to review your request, is a better guest experience and reduces discrimination on our platform. For these reasons we will continue to encourage guests to look for instantly bookable properties. If the listings displayed do not meet the needs of a guest, they can always view additional listings that are not instantly bookable.

In response to the first point: guests can simply dismiss this popup to see all listings. The message is only shown once, to new guests. We tested this with guests and found that they were not confused about the message, and they appreciated having a better understanding of Instant Book. We will continue to explore ways to educate guests about Instant Book, while giving them a path to find listings that are not instantly bookable.

Regarding the visibility of your listing: your listing is visible to all guests, even if you have one of the Instant Book controls enabled. If a guest does not have a recommendation from a past host, or does not want to provide a government ID, they will see your listing, and can send you a reservation request.

We are working hard to make sure hosts have the control they need so that using Instant Book will be a successful experience for different types of hosts. We find hosts that use Instant Book are more successful and get more bookings. Please see our landing page for more information on all of the improvements that we’ve made in the past year, and send us feedback on what additional controls you need in order to give Instant Book a shot.

78 Replies 78
ChuckandCarole0
Level 7
Springfield, OR

Wow! this is big news...first of all, the IB filter is automatically on so much of time....a user has to be very savvy to realize they are not getting to view all the listings in their search area, and must choose to turn it off...i don't think that many users can decipher that. Then as a host, if i use instant book and want to protect myself by checking the "must have reviews from other hosts", criteria,  it eliminates first time users from even getting to MAKE A REQUEST!....i did not know that until i read Nancy's thorough break down. What a disappointing development to know that i am being limited as a guest, and as a host by airbnb's new filter. 

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7
Springfield, OR

Wow! this is big news...first of all, the IB filter is automatically on so much of time....a user has to be very savvy to realize they are not getting to view all the listings in their search area, and must choose to turn it off...i don't think that many users can decipher that. Then as a host, if i use instant book and want to protect myself by checking the "must have reviews from other hosts", criteria,  it eliminates first time users from even getting to MAKE A REQUEST!....i did not know that until i read Nancy's thorough break down. What a disappointing development to know that i am being limited as a guest, and as a host by airbnb's new filter. 

Nancy0
Level 2
SF, CA

@CarlandDiane0@ChuckandCarole0et al

Thanks for the support and feedback. AND, after I calmed down last eve, I realized I did not trust the information provided by the CX rep (who may have been non US based). Since there were 2 variables at play on my IB set up, the verified ID plus the past reviews as criteria, decided to call again this morning to double check. AND, good news, the US based rep validated that my initial understanding (and the language of the host setup re IB) was correct. Here's a break out.

1. A guest requests to book: If they have verified ID AND past reviews, they are Instant booked.

2.A guest requests to book: If they meet verified ID BUT no past reviews, I am sent a standard Request to book to approve or decline.

3.If the guest failes to have their ID validated, they may not book.But I have that set up as a standard requirement for non IB reservations so am fine with this.

I've asked my local host expert (with HQ connections) to have this scenario verified if possible. But for now, I am relieved and resolved. And will turn on IB again given the increased access to guests if Airbnb continues to play their setting games...

Thanks again for this forum. Whew.

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Nancy0, thanks for the additional intel on this! It's reassuring to know that even if you set prior reviews as a criteria for IB, folks new to Airbnb can still request to book. That's all we're after -- giving guests the option to book traditionally if they don't meet your IB criteria. I can't see the harm in that to anyone!

Thanks again -

Tracy84
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

I'll add my thanks to @CarlandDiane0 @Nancy2 I'm going to send my feedback to the link provided shortly. 

However, I'm still a little unclear as to who can see our listing. I am reassured by @Nancy2's point #2. but, if viewers don't SEE our listing at all, because the IB filter is default to ON and viewers don't have ID and/or reviews, how would I ever receive a traditional request to book?

The posters on this thread seem to be very literate and well-connected. I would think that it won't be long before some of this leaks out to some more widespread form of coverage - social media and/or traditional news channels. Airbnb changing its whole philosophy of "hosting" to "hotelling" is news. Sadly, if that news is good to the majority of users then the soulless Hotels.com model wins.

The good news is, as airbnb turns its back on hosts who strive to make personal connections with their guests, no doubt another start-up will step up to fill that void. And when they do, I, and other genuine "hosts" will be able to make their move.

As a guest, I seek out VRBO/Homeaway and airbnb accommodation over hotels at all times. There's a plethora of price-driven hotel booking sites but, I don't want that. I know my friends who are also avid VRBO and airbnb fans shun hotel-type accommodation as well. I will be letting them know that airbnb has now turned to the Hotels.com model. Let's do everything we can to spread the word about how airbnb is manipulating and limiting the choices of both hosts AND guests. It won't be long before the small group on this thread grows exponentially to the point where airbnb actually takes not only notice but, action. 

Turn this around, before it's too late, airbnb, for the sake of those who buy/bought into the original airbnb ethos! 

Tracy84
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

I've just shared my feedback via the link provided here. I submitted it under both the Host and the Traveller heading, as I'm concerned about the limitations IB are also presenting travellers. 

I'm going to share this feedback on my Facebook and Twitter accounts as well. I'm going to hastag, which I don't usually do, but I think if this is going to have any traction, there needs to be a concerted group effort at spreading the word.

Can I please get feedback from posters here as to which hashtag you think would be best and, whether or not you'll be sharing and hash-tagging on your own social media accounts?

Here are some thoughts -

#nohotelairbnb

#showmeairbnb

#noinstantairbnb

#letmechooseairbnb

Okay, they're getting a little lengthy! Anyone, perhaps someone with more hashtag-crafting experience, have a suggestion or two?

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7
Springfield, OR

It happened again yesterday, i was doing a search and,  the instant book feature was automatically on.... i didn't even realize it for a while! and and and...

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

Yes the instant book is being abused imho.  I also get messages i.e. Five nine three etc and the guest asking for a discount a lot I refuse to operate on the sly.    

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

Sorry the five nine three is a guest trying to get me to call I offer a weekly discount that's fair enough.  

Meighan1
Level 2
Chicago, IL

These are excellent comments. I am NOT turning on Instant Book after 5 years of hosting and over 350 5-star reviews. I host in my home. I have a child. I like to have a brief conversation with whomever stays with us. Do I discriminate against race? No. Age? Perhaps. The fact that my listing DOES NOT show up when guests click "instant booking" makes me insane. It's unfair to hosts who would like more control over their bookings. There were other options for ending discrimination (don't reveal photos or names until AFTER a guest books?) but airbnb chose instant book in order to make the booking process easier for guests. The discrimination thing is a cover. That said there is NO reason all listings should not show. Guests can still scroll to choose one that books instantly if they like. There is ZERO reason to remove non-IB hosts from the search rankings. 

Alan107
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have just worked out that default IB must be the cause of the steep fall off in bookings for our rental apartment.  It's not easy to second-guess Airbnb's intentions but there will be inevitable consequences - rowdier guests who offend neighbours and generate complaints to the authorities.  And of course Airbnb's reputation will drop like a stone.

Any suggestions for alternative platforms will be appreciated.

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

Yes, the recent changes -- all very negative for hosts -- are revealing a new Airbnb that is very much like Uber.

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

Yes, these recent changes -- all very detrimental to hosts -- are going to turn Airbnb into another Uber, reputation-wise.  

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Interesting thread. But I can't sare some of the conclusions. I tufned on IB some 15 months ago, not requesting ID but requesting a recommendation. The first half year, I only had a few IB, now it's over 50 % or more. But I still get newbies, as a booking request, which I confirm either directly or after a warning about the small space. 

Lately all guests are verified (not my request), but some manage to have an absurd photo or nickname as their verified ID. 

(In such cases, if the guest does not comply, cancellation is offered by the help line).

my approach is the contrary to some mentioned here: I do not IB the whole apartment in my absence, but the shared room in my presence, trusting that I then could avoid any damage by foolish behaviour. 😉

checking the website from time to time on different browsers, I found that the IB filter reacts differently on Google, Firefox or Safari. That's a not intended filter, but practical for me: I get more and more guests familiar with Apple computers or using an iphone. Less need to explain, how to use the guest computer or print their boarding pass from the phone. On Firefox, there are a lot of bugs, especially if you want to use any filter at all. Last time I checked, there was no way to switch off the IB filter. But maybe that works on a windows computer. 

Tina80
Level 4
Treasure Island, FL

If I have to allow Instant Book , I will remove the listing from AIRBNB and do one of two things. Rent the house out yearly to a family or find another venue that understands this is MY home and I decide who stays here.  I have an incredible PARTY house, I prefer families not partiers  and with no dialog I will not be able to discern the two . I dont care how IB is tweaked, I will never allow it.