If it wasn't for the money...

Answered!
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

If it wasn't for the money...

If it wasn't for the money I really wouldn't be a host. I give my applause to those who allow couch surfing for free or are doing this out of meeting new people and so forth, but some of these guests can ruin it for the whole lot. I enjoy those guests who arrive after check in time and leave before check out time, I also enjoy those who clean up after themselves and know how to live independently without asking questions which are found in the listing. I really like those guests who after I pre-approve there requests 5 minutes after sending it actually accept it. Those are the guests that make a hosts life easier and I hope that by them staying with me I make their life easier in some way vis a vis money saved.

Then you have those "uninformed" guests who by one form or another teach you just how to be a better host, for lack of a better phrase. They use all 10 towels in the bathroom so now you only leave 2 for them in their room, they stain the white bath mats so you switch over to bamboo mats with a plush backing, they cook curry and fry fish in the kitchen even though you state it time and time again- PLEASE do not cook-so you remove all pots and pans from the kitchen and then there are those that lose the house key so you install a key pad entry. We like to think all guests enjoy a free breakfast, but buying danishes and cured meats in a world of people who are on health kicks and gluten free just seems a waste of money and effort.

I suppose being a successful host is about being nimble, realizing that some things work great in theory, but not so in practice, and focusing on the main reason the guest booked your place- it was cheap, location was great and it was clean. Sticking to those three things and offering little else has become a winning strategy- at least for me.  <End Rant>

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

447 Replies 447

Agreed. I find that with the price too low, you tend to attract the type of guest who has no respect for other people's property (or their own). Even if a higher price clauses you to get fewer booking (which is unlikely), you'll still be earning about the same, but with far less work on your behalf. 

Steve
Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I’ve seen a lot of questions and problems with long term guests.  I don’t allow long term bookings.  My longest is two weeks.  My theory is, if they want to stay another two weeks  they can book again.  However, it gives both  a chance to see if it’s going to work out.  It also lets students know I’m not a rental for the semester.  I’ve messed around with my prices over the two months but I think I’m happy with the price now.  Of course if I have a two week guest and find out they aren’t respecting me or my property I won’t let them book again.  To me money isn’t everything if it means being miserable or stressed.  Oh, I also increased my damage fee.  If they don’t like it it means they aren’t going to be careful.  I’ve done everything I can to make sure they will abide by my rules but I’m sure there will be those who still refuse to be nice.

Carol, I've done pretty will with "long terms". I have to rent for 30 day minimums because of city code. Anything shorter and my neighbors turn me in to Code Enforcement for operating a boarding house. I advertise a high nightly rate but offer deep discounts for guests who stay a month. so far it has worked out, knock on wood. I don't get the turnover but there is also less wear-and-tear on the property. Jay

@Jay77  you know, you can set a thiry day minimum under  “availability” in the section where you set nightly prices.  Open other requirements and set.That way you will only pop up to people searching long stay.  You dont have to set the nightly high as you will not be available for short stay.  This works very well, you will probably have more bookings.  

Thanks Amy, I'll give that a try.

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Being an Airbnb host has both destroyed & restored my faith in humanity time and time again. I'm not a people person. I value my personal space, so I certainly wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have a completely separate suite to house guests in. And I wouldn't even be doing that if I didn't need the money. But I can truly say that I've only had two genuinely horrible guests. Some have been extremely irritating, causing numerous face-palms, but most have been great.

Steve
Connie188
Level 2
Rancho Cordova, CA

Yes, I had a guest who had put my desk top computer, etc. in the closet so he could work at my desk, leave lights on all the time in rooms that were not occupied, and doing 4 loads of laundry in 5 days.  I don't know. Just bought a new bed, sheets, and towels to do this. I know how you feel.

Connie

I would like to join the conversation; Connie maybe you should include some rules concerning the issues you discuss into your profile. And if that doesn’t work increase your rates . I hope this helps. 

Carl 

Airbnb Superhost 

I would like to join the conversation; Connie maybe you should include some rules concerning the issues you discuss into your profile. And if that doesn’t work increase your rates . I hope this helps. 

Carl 

Airbnb Superhost 

@Connie188, I host my space remotely, so the guests aren't in my home. I am very **bleep** about things and I do not think I could tolerate having people in my own space while I'm present, so kudos to you and all the others who do share a space. 

Make sure you put in some rules and learn from the things that you have not yet included, and include them going forward. We should always be adjusting our listings to fit in what we want to fix or add, imo. 

If you're not present at all, it's not a Bed and Breakfast (BnB).  It's a business.  If you don't like doing it, you shouldn't.  

Hey Connie, I installed a commercial pay dryer in my home for the same reason. Free to wash, dollar to dry. Found a good deal at the Sears outlet on the dryer and a bill changer on ebay.  It is not a money maker but more of a speedbump. Although, I do think it has paid for itself in reduced electrical consumption. Also, I dont stress over the laundry anymore. I'm experimenting with motion senor light switches now. I'll let you know how that works out. 

Beth321
Level 6
Corpus Christi, TX

Completely agree.  I would not under any circumstance let people stay for free.  I can think of a couple past guests I really liked and would let them stay one night free as a comp but they would have to pay for the rest of the required nights.