If it wasn't for the money...

Answered!
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

If it wasn't for the money...

If it wasn't for the money I really wouldn't be a host. I give my applause to those who allow couch surfing for free or are doing this out of meeting new people and so forth, but some of these guests can ruin it for the whole lot. I enjoy those guests who arrive after check in time and leave before check out time, I also enjoy those who clean up after themselves and know how to live independently without asking questions which are found in the listing. I really like those guests who after I pre-approve there requests 5 minutes after sending it actually accept it. Those are the guests that make a hosts life easier and I hope that by them staying with me I make their life easier in some way vis a vis money saved.

Then you have those "uninformed" guests who by one form or another teach you just how to be a better host, for lack of a better phrase. They use all 10 towels in the bathroom so now you only leave 2 for them in their room, they stain the white bath mats so you switch over to bamboo mats with a plush backing, they cook curry and fry fish in the kitchen even though you state it time and time again- PLEASE do not cook-so you remove all pots and pans from the kitchen and then there are those that lose the house key so you install a key pad entry. We like to think all guests enjoy a free breakfast, but buying danishes and cured meats in a world of people who are on health kicks and gluten free just seems a waste of money and effort.

I suppose being a successful host is about being nimble, realizing that some things work great in theory, but not so in practice, and focusing on the main reason the guest booked your place- it was cheap, location was great and it was clean. Sticking to those three things and offering little else has become a winning strategy- at least for me.  <End Rant>

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

447 Replies 447

I agree! I have learned to make a "Kitchenette" in the Guest rooms with a Coffee maker and a Microwave and even a Cooler with Icepacks that ONLY I change out daily. This keeps the guest OUT of my Kitchen and my Good Pots stay Nice and Seasoned. My Fridge and cubboards and my  rare, expensive Saffron and spices are still intact in my Private Kitchen. I don't have to come home from work and Clean up messes in the Kitchen anymore or find my food gone in the fridge. Hardboiled eggs and gluten free Breakfast bars and fresh fruit are handy snacks that you can load up a basket in their room the next morning after they leave for the day.

You are asking for trouble to be the Cheapest room in the area! Offer some great self-services like nice linens and ammenities like teas and coffee and snacks and even a load of laundry done for them at the end of the week to make their stay worth the money. Asking too little will be asking for Trouble!!!

I agree! I NEVER do Instant Book. Mustget to know each Guest by asking questions. Being the absolute Cheapest Room in the area willgetyoubooked but will also be the "Bottom of the Barrel" from my experience! You live and you learn!

Outstanding reply and very helpful! Sincere thank you!

Good point! We are in Seattle and been hosting since May and it's been great. We don't offer instant-book, price at a premium, and have a minimum 3-night stay...perhaps that attract a different type of guest?

I live in San Andres Islands (Colombia) and I have had problems with some guests. It is an island and most of the time it is summer x ende it is humid and hot. And they demand hot water. 

HELLO MEVLIN, ARE YOU COLOMBIAN?

So totally agree- I read an email from Airbnb a few days ago, saying they will now give priority in the listings to those who do Instant Book- I guess is this is because they are trying to make it hard for hosts to discriminate against certain people/groups- but honestly, one of the reasons I liked ABnb fro the start was that I COULD discriminate- in the sense that , by sending lots of emails back & forth, I could get a sense of who they were, and whether they would be suitable guests- I have a 10 day mimimum stay, I live 850 K away fom our Air BnB place, and seldom meet the guests, so need to be sure that they will be right! So far it's worked well, with a few notable exceptions-but if they continue to try and make me act like I'm running a hotel, I'm out!

Interesting about the email you got. I know they are pushing Instant Book hard and it seems like it's all about airbnb, not the hosts. I've called them twice in the last few weeks bucause I have NO reservations or inquiries at all. I've been hosting for 4 1/2 years, am a Superhost and ALWAYS have reservations. I have to block time out (3-4 days) now and then just to have the house to myself. Most of my guests are travelers and plan months in advance so it's not because of the time of year as was suggested.

I specifically asked about the discrmination of not doing Instant Book and was tolded no-that wasn't the case. I live in San Francisco and have a reasonably priced room so I don't get it. Anybody else having this problem?

Hi Beth, Air does promote Instant Booking and highlights those hosts. I am wondering if your market is now saturated with new hosts. Sounds like maybe you were Big Fish in a reativly small pond. Now with all the new hosts coming online you are Big Fish in an even Bigger Pond. The competition has to be tough in your neck of rhe woods. 

Does anyone kow why spell check doesn't work on this site?

Kevin,

Thanks for answering but I wasn't a BIg Fish at all. There are and have been thousands of listings of all kinds in San Francisco and thousands of visitors here all the time. As a matter of fact there will be less competition because of new regulations and big fines for people who didn't register with the City, get a llicense and live in the property on a full time basis. I'm registered, have a license and this is my home. I'm actually a little fish because all I have is a small room for 1 person. I'm in a nice neighborhood, with excellent transportation and you can get downtown in 10-15 mins.

I've had great guests with very few problems and use the money for daily bills so I hope this is a fluke. I've never experienced this in my 4.5 years of hosting. It's very odd.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Beth

@Beth23 did tou find a solution? I am having the same issue. But I did turn IB on to see if that improved bookigns.. guess what, it did not, and to make it worse I had a couple of bookings that I didnt want, but I couldnt cancel afterwards to avoid losing my superhost status. One person booked for 10 days at a very super cheap rate on high season (I had missed to update the price), the other one, wanted the room for just one night to bring a girl .... I had forgotten to change it to 2 nights minimum... I was so stressed out about this guy using my home as a love motel, it was so obvious, I talked to him on th ephone to coordinate checkin and I asked who his travel buddy was and he said, or I will checkin first and she is just a friend who will join me later to spend the night.. ... not cool

Hi Val,

That's awful-getting stuck like that with the lower rate and the additional guest! I ould have called airbnb to see what they could do. I do get help when I call.

My probelme of no bookings did resolve a week into January. We're back to having guests pretty consistently and have to block out dates just to have some time to ourselevs even though most of the time we don't see the guest very much.

Good Luck

Beth

Hi Jay-sorry I adressed you as Kevin. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Have a nice holiday and thanks for taking time to answer.

Good luck with your bookings and guests!

Beth

Hi Beth,

I'm slow now too, but I'm told it will pick up after Christmas. I've only had two inquiries in the past week, neither of whom were doing anything. 

K