If it wasn't for the money...

Answered!
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

If it wasn't for the money...

If it wasn't for the money I really wouldn't be a host. I give my applause to those who allow couch surfing for free or are doing this out of meeting new people and so forth, but some of these guests can ruin it for the whole lot. I enjoy those guests who arrive after check in time and leave before check out time, I also enjoy those who clean up after themselves and know how to live independently without asking questions which are found in the listing. I really like those guests who after I pre-approve there requests 5 minutes after sending it actually accept it. Those are the guests that make a hosts life easier and I hope that by them staying with me I make their life easier in some way vis a vis money saved.

Then you have those "uninformed" guests who by one form or another teach you just how to be a better host, for lack of a better phrase. They use all 10 towels in the bathroom so now you only leave 2 for them in their room, they stain the white bath mats so you switch over to bamboo mats with a plush backing, they cook curry and fry fish in the kitchen even though you state it time and time again- PLEASE do not cook-so you remove all pots and pans from the kitchen and then there are those that lose the house key so you install a key pad entry. We like to think all guests enjoy a free breakfast, but buying danishes and cured meats in a world of people who are on health kicks and gluten free just seems a waste of money and effort.

I suppose being a successful host is about being nimble, realizing that some things work great in theory, but not so in practice, and focusing on the main reason the guest booked your place- it was cheap, location was great and it was clean. Sticking to those three things and offering little else has become a winning strategy- at least for me.  <End Rant>

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

447 Replies 447

@Theresa0

Can you explain to me, please, how is it that this ordeal you endured is Airbnb's fault? How is it Airbnb's responsible for the behaviour of a human being. At least that is what I surmised after  you said Airbnb does not have our interest at heart.Human beings are the most unpredictable creatures, not even PSYCHOLOGISTS are capable of dealing with psychopathic behavior, there is no cure for psychopathic behavior and we have tones of them living amongst us especially in governments. So please explain to me why do you say that Airbnb does not have the hosts' interest at heart. Guests do not undergo a psychological test to test if they are mentally sane and stable, so how can it be Airbnb's fault? thank you

It is their fault when they don't honor the cancellation policy.

I can really feel your pain. Some people are just idiots as guests, then there are the ones working for Airbnb, who have no experience in REAL life dealing with stupid people's actuions

No business is fool proof. In business you have to expect that you are going to get problems some of the time. The best one can do is mitigate against the problems. Regarding reviews, when I first went on Airbnb vacation my daughter said to just review afew of the reviews and the bad reviews to read between the lines. No one really believes an off review if all the other reviews are pretty normal. The same goes for the guests. It's important to review afew

Lucy85
Level 2
Korora, Australia

I have had the misfortune of having some nasty guests, they make false public comments which impact my business. Recently I had a family whereby the 10 year old son ran rampant in the property ramming an office chair on wheels against walls causing damage, he would yell and chuck tantrums and parents done little to control him, they left a dirty kitchen and made false reviews claiming the spa and aircon did not work whereby they used these items during there stay. Them and others complained about me residing in a ground floor unit below them, they said that they wanted the whole of the buiding (for the same price), even though the upstairs unit is self-contained with own entry. On airbnb you list a room or part of a dwelling or the whole  of a dwelling. I have a top floor 3 br unit and a ground floor self contained unit with own entry plus a separate office with its own entry. These same guests have no regard to basic rules such as keep the noise down, no yelling, no swearing, no drunkeness,  clise windows when raining, leave the place vlean and tidy on leaving etc. I had a girl on NYE who brought 5 drunken friends at 1.pm, only 4 guests were allowed. They consumed large amount of booze within hours and their behaviour was so bad that I had to ask  them to leave. I had some folks from India just this week and the more I asked them to keep the nouse down the more they yelled, they really upset tge neighbours, this went on to 1 a.m. When they wrote a revew they bagged me for trying to keep tge peace for the neighbours ' sake. I am now losing bookings as a result. Perhaps airbnb ought to prevent publication of adverse revews by guests 

Lucy, that's outrageous!! The whole thing! I really don't like Airbnb not backing you or removing the false (retaliatory)  review. In the future insist on it-go up the ladder and if you still don't get results post on Airbnb's Facebook page describing the problem and lack of support. Someone will get back to you quickly and of course, they will remove your posting quickly too.

George76
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Thank you everyone. Airbnb made rapid response and gave us huge help and support. I will post a new topic to record the case in detail later to help other hosts avoid being cheated as me. I believe it is possible that she and others like her may repeat the trick to hurt other hosts.  I appreciate the care and advices of yours. I apprciate the support of Airbnb.

@George0

Your photos had blood all over sheets and carpet, no doubt some fight went on in your place. 

Did you discuss the blood traces left in your place with AIRBNB. I wonder what would happen if the host gets into a physical fight with the guest and AIRBNB conducts an investigation to find out what happened. That would be interesting to see how this is handled.  

As a host, I have no idea what happen. The guest, a young woman told me she did not know what happen. What I know is that she told me she will rent the house for her, her boyfriend, and her boyfriend's parents, but in fact, she invited 15 young people took a crazy party. At beginning, she told me they will check out at 1pm on Jan. 1st.  On the morning, she sent me a message asking me if she can check out at 2pm because her parents-in-law still sleep. Can you image the feeling of my wife, of my kids, of mine when we came to the house for their check out. We were shocked!! Two windows were broken, Two doors upstair and one door frame in basement were broken, window screens were thrown far away to the street. Full of vomituses and dirty stuff outside the door and on the deck. When we come in the house, it looks like a war happened, totally mess, vomituses, dunghill, blood and dirty stuff full of the floor, the wall, the bed, the sofa. Five big holes and lots of scratches on the wall of main floor and basement. Furnitures and belongings were falling down scattering all over the house. Many young guys just wake up with tipsy, she made the appearance of innocent and her friends were very aggressive to us. We called 911 and policement inspected.

She lied and cheated me from begining, but she showed the appearance of innocent when we came, and she disappeared and never answer my phone call since then. I check her facebook later, there is a comment of her: pretty little liar!!

@George76.  You are lucky if Airbnb is going to help you. It is very SAD someone has no respect for people's property. Don't be surprised if you get screwed in the end

I was just screwed by both a guest and Airbnb. I had a bathroom flooded. I have $800.00 Security Deposit in place. Airbnb paid out $30.00 to me from the SD. After all our hours of work putting the bath back into service for my next reservation. I guess I am held responsible for Byavha and his wife's disrespect for my home. Laura of Airbnb hasn't a clue what it is to deal with water damage and this happened over New Years too

Morris2
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

U may have hit on something here. While correct about being nimble, the fact that U R not a hotel must be strongly expressed, before confirming booking & during "some guests" stay. If they don't like it, U can "mutually" agree to shorten their stay, or reduce cost for limited amenities/services.

Probably a good time to review & understand Airbnb resolution/refund policy/procedure. Best in the future to U, from a first-timer. Had an absolute fab traveler experience in Statesboro, Georgia, USA.

Siphiwe0
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

This article has been most helpful. I've had no issues with guests but it helps to know what people go through.

Susan525
Level 2
Denver, CO

Hilarious. I'm new at this. Three weeks in and five hosts. Last lot had obviously used towels for make-up removal, shoe cleaning and perhaps had fake tans... Used 8 towels, 4 hand towels and no facecloths... Dirt on bath mats... Tried cooking... Burnt the pan, tried to scrub it, gave up and stick it in the dishwasher

Thiago71
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I completely agree with you and understand your complaints. I live the same situation here in Rio de Janeiro. Guests are sassy and are always willing a five-star hotel service paying the price equivalent to a filthy hostel. Being in one of the most expensive districts in Brazil - Ipanema - must of the people who come to my place can't even dream of affording to pay for a hotel around my apartment - a double room in a three-star hotel costs not less than $250 a day. It seems that the more we explain how the things work (or should work) the more they do differently and nastily. The way they behave regarding cleanliness makes me wonder how should it be in their houses back home. First thing I did was to spread written tips of what to do with rubbish, and all other things related to keep the bathroom and the kitchen clean so all in the house could enjoy a better environment. Nothing seems to work. That made us to take an extreme action: prevent the guests to entirely use the kitchen. We have had less bookings, but that has made the things a bit better for us. Regarding the bathroom we still have to live with the same problems of dirty and filthy people but, what to do? I can't just give up hosting people as long my wife and I are without permanent jobs and Airbnb is representing more than half of our monthly income. I just needed to get this off my chest. Thank you for those who read.

@Thiago71  A few suggestians...raise your prices...hostels in your area are charging over 100$  for a private room. One or two people in the room...same price.  Raise your cleaning fee.  Raise your minimum stay to 2 days in low season and 3 during high season.

The more people pay, the more respect they have for the property.  You want to attract adults not kids.

you could use a few large colorfull art prints on the walls, otherwise,

your place is lovely.

When I check in a guest, I specifically emphasize thar tidiness in the bathroom is important...in my case it is an interior room and mold can be an issue if not well squeeged and a light left on.

I have a full kitchen, but specify no serious cooking for short stay guests...they leave, smells linger.

There are snacks drinks and coffee/tea laid on.  Most people dont use anything but there are some extra freebies which people love even when they dont use them.

Fewer rentals, but more income should be the goal for all of us.     i.