If you have a home...LA Open

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If you have a home...LA Open

Today while I was in downtown Los Angeles walking toward a presentation by the founders of Air BNB during the LA Open, I caught a snippet of a conversation between two men who litterally call the streets of LA home.  One homeless gentleman was explaining to another homeless gentleman what Air BNB was.  "It's, like, if you have a home, you can have people stay with you."  "IF you have a home..."  I was struck by the irony of over 6000 people from over a 100 countries coming to a part of Los Angeles where there are many people with marginal living conditions, including homelessness.  No host recruiting for people without a home.

An inspiration came to me.  What if Air BNB partnered with Habitat for Humanity which focuses on developing housing stock in places with insufficient affordable housing.  I think the core values of Air BNB and Habitat for Humanity are quite similar. I would love to explore this concept with Air BNB.  Anybody else think this is an idea worth pursuing?

5 Replies 5
Marie3
Level 4
Northfield, MN

This is a time in the US where we can use as many ways of coming together as possible. Brilliant!

Rebecca133
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Absolutely. I heard that LA is using the TOT money being collected by airbnb from guests in LA to help build more low income housing. I'm with you we have a massive homelessness issue here in LA and it would be awesome to have Airbnb and this community have a hand in the direct improvement of this issue.

Liz62
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

Habitat is one of my all time favorite organizations - fantastic idea!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

A few years ago I participated in a Habit for Humanity build in Belfast, Ireland.  While it was important to add to the housing stock in the city, the primary reason for the HFH in Belfast was social healing.  The city remains divided along Protestant/Catholic lines and HFH requires each side to participate in the build of a home for the other side.

I think Air BNB and HFH both build communities from the individual home level and could be natural partners.

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.