Im concerned the host i am reserved with is a scam

Nancy267
Level 5
Newland, NC

Im concerned the host i am reserved with is a scam

I received this posting on social media about the person I have a reservation with July 8-15, 2017 in Panama City Beach:

June 12 at 11:53pm · Panama City Beach, FL ·

I booked my vacation condo through VRBO like I do every year. I've never had a problem. We arrive at the edgewater water to find out the unit I paid $1800 for was sold on feb 16. My booking was made after this. There were only good reviews on the vrbo site. Unfortunately I had no idea of the horrible reviews posted elsewhere. The company owner that I booked through would not answer the phone and I've found out that he has done this to many people. He has multiple listings on other sites. The Edgewater staff were extremely helpful. Everything around was sold out but luckily vrbo was able to help find us somewhere else to stay. The insurance covered a good bit of it but I am still out more money. [Personal information hidden] is the owner of JGs beachside rentals and is somehow getting away with scamming families and leaving them stranded with no vacation rental. I hope his ass gets what's coming to him. I filed a police report that will be added to the other open cases and hopefully he will be arrested. Be ware of any rental property posted from this guy. He has properties on every rental site. I will be reporting to the BBB, the real estate board, and all booking agencies. This is the link to his site. Unfortunately it's not linked to any booking site

I have messaged my host with no response yet.  I am very concerned that my family will get to the beach and have no place to stay and not enough money to pay for another last minute 3 br condo reservation.  Has anyone else complained about this man and his listings.  I am very nervous i am being scammed too!  Please Help and Advise me as to what to do next.

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Perhaps the host of the listing you want to reserve has moved their listing to Air BNB. Are there guest reviews of the listing on Air BNB?  If not, contact Air BNB to cancel and ask for assistance in relocating.  Here is a guide to contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

I already booked with this person on Air BNB back in Oct 2016 for this year July 8-15th.  I am concerned that it will not be available and I will not have a place to stay for vacation.  The host on my Airbnb reservation is the same man in the social media posting i received this evening,[Personal information hidden].  I have contacted him in several message with no response from him as of yet.  I am very concerned about this reservation as to whether it is valid or not through Airbnb. My reservation that is already booked has a strict cancelation policy and i will loose half of the reservation money if i try and cancel the reservation. 

@Nancy267  Were you able to reach Air BNB to get peace of mind about your plans?

I got a refund for the trip I  had reserved due to a fraudulent listing on airbnb. Now I am without a vacation to the beach this year.  I am extremely upset with airbnb for allowing such actions to take place on there.  I am a super host myself on airbnb and vrbo and take pride in making my living off of rentals as a NC liscensed realtor/broker in charge.  My family is very upset that we are not going to get to go on a much needed family vacation.  We have waited 4 years to take this trip and now it is not going to happen.

Thanks for all your help and listening to my rant.

Sincerely,
Nancy

Oh no! @Nancy267   This is a traveler's worst nightmare!  At least you didn't arrive with the family to nothing.  Your efforts probably saved another family, but what to do now for your family.  I know Air BNB has to depend on guest feedback to identify such listings.  Given your experience with a fraudulent listing, I wonder if Air BNB can help you find another place.  

Nick193
Level 1
Colquitt, GA

We are having the same issues with them now. We had our honeymoon planned out and after contacting them several times to confirm the booking and trying to pay the remaining balance due we keep getting the run around. I am beyond livid at this point. These people should be absolutely ashamed. We have always vacationed to Panama City Beach every year, usually multiple times a year,  and have never had even the smallest issue in reservations until now. We called the chamber of commerce to report it but because they aren't a member there is nothing they can do. All we can do now is try to get a refund on our deposit and see what we can work out. 

Airbnb will refund you the payment you already made. Just contact them and tell them the situation. They were supposed to take down the listing and ban [Personal information hidden] from anymore listings.  There were at least 20 other people that have previously tried to go to PCB on vacation to only get there and find out the the unit was sold in Feb. 2016. Alot of us booked our reservations after that date.  I booked in Oct. of 2016.  I am so sorry about your honeymoon trip.  There are several warrants and charges out for this man.  He also had listings on VRBO!  I hope you find a nice place to honeymoon.  Regrets for your hassel.  I too was beyond LIVID at this situation. Contact AIRBNB and they will even help you try and find somewhere comparable to go on your honeymoon.

They may have, as we booked ours through VRBO. I called today after my fiance informed me of all the trouble she's been having and found out that he had been arrested this morning!! There was a family there that was out $3400. I can only imagine, luckily all we had  paid was the deposit and then started having issues getting ahold of him.