Impact of my first 4 Star review

Answered!
Julie469
Level 2
Salvisa, KY

Impact of my first 4 Star review

Hey there.

I've had quite a few guests and have never had anything less than 5 stars. This last guest left a 4 star, truly because he didn't read the listing (heck, he also parked in front of my garage and blocked me in because he didn't read the manual). He didn't like the price, wasn't pleased that there was just a "small bed" for the second person even though it is clearly stated that the 2nd bed is a twin trundle.

The other bed is a twin as well, so I don't know why he thinks it's so small. He also complained about not being able to watch tv, but again it's in in the listing that there is no cable in the room. His review was all positive, but then gave 4 stars. I've been hearing about hosts getting into trouble because of the star system and I'm trying to figure out what to do about this.

He said all was great publically and then boasts a 4 and private feedback. We are so close to Superhost and I'm afraid this dude ruined it. What do you suggest?

1 Best Answer
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I have hosted over 142 bookings since February. 

I had Superhost, then I didn't. I am literally one 5 star review away every time since I lost it.

The more you host, the more different sorts of guests you get....the odds are, you're going to get lots of a mix if you host a lot.

You CANNOT get wrapped up in the reivews.  Want to know what's funny---I never have the same thing brought up over and over--it's a gammit of complaits.  I just had a guy complain about the matress..first one in all these bookings...some say it's the best sleep they've ever gotten. So am I gonna go out and buy a $3000 matress--no freaking way.  I will deal with his low rating.

If you are Superhost or not, it makes no difference.  I still get booked.  Customer service treats me the same.  I still get inquiries, I still get people who never look at my listing or even read the reviews.....all I can say is, do your best.  People are goofy.  And honestly, many experienced hosts will tell you the review system is just totally flawed.  Don't fixate over it.

Try to just enjoy hosting or the whole review thing will eat you alive!

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Justin205
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

We've just had a short run of three 4* reviews from people who just didn't read the listing / don't ever give 5* reviews / have champagne tastes and a lemonade budget. In one listing we've had a few guests who really gave us the run around not wanting to make a booking for the number of people in their group - and with them we have a policy of not leaving reviews until we see that they've left us one first.  Really annoying - though most guests are lovely. It would be helpful if Airbnb would attach specific definitions to their star ratings - some people clearly compare to hotel start ratings and that's confusing and leads to misinterpretation. That said, when we've had problems, the Superhost hotline have been great. And we're now rather proud of our singular 2* rating - one of our first guests which we accepted early on before we realised we should be vary of accepting guests with not previous ratings: they were vile, rude, filthy, noisy, mean, unhappy and unpleasant and we told them so. I simply have no idea what they were expecting to find by going to stay in someone's house!  All in all, Airbnb is a slog, but we'll stick with them.

Rahul43
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Quite annoyingly I got my first four star review. I stupidly made a rookie mistake and left him a review without having checked the mess he made in the room. He was from India so I guess he must be used to showering outside of the shower area cause he flooded my bathroom and trimmed his pubes on the floor and shedded hair all over the room. I even found his curly hair in the vase of water I left him. He left a good comment on my listing but complained about the lack of eateries in the area. This is despite my listing saying he has the choice of literally hundreds of restaurants only five minutes away on the DLR and a further countless number of upmarket restaurants 7 minutes away. I offered to order dinner in for him via UberEats / Deliveroo / JustEat but he would mumble and walk away. He was irked that he could not find a restaurant open at midnight because his call overran so he had to eat at McDonald’s. Lesson learnt. Never leave feedback till you have inspected the room and it’s always the quiet ones you need to watch out for. 

Raul. Horrible. Thank you for the advice and sorry that happened to you. Terrible.

Orgest0
Level 2
Ingle Farm, Australia

Hi. I'm new to hosting. My first review ever from a guest was an overall rating of 4 stars and he also give a 4 stars on all categories. Although my house was spotless, I cooked for him and he only paid $23 for one night to stay in the largest and best room of the house and  we had great conversation. This is definetly not a good start. It hurt when i see 4 stars on every category, it's just unreal. Anyone got any tips? He was new to Airbnb and I believe he doesn't understand Airbnb rating.

Peter893
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

I have been a Superhost for a few years running at 96%  5 stars, but still pull a couple of 4 stars every year.  I have tried to figure out some commonality to these and here is what I have come up with:

1.  As pointed out several times during this chain, some guests rate apples and oranges: only the Four Seasons gets five stars, but never an Airbnb.  Mostly older guests who grew up in a hotel mentality.  

2. Some guests are just crabby or unhappy about something unrelated and you become the victim. So you get private comments like " the closet was too small" ( never heard that one before), or " the instruction manual was too long after a long drive" ( huh?), or " the garbage disposal doesn't work" ( it did before you checked in and if you had texted or called,  I could have wrenched it in about one minute), or " it rained for three days and the little ants came" ( could have dealt with that too if you told me).    Perhaps strangely enough, these also come from older guests.  

Ironically, when there have been relatively serious system failures ( ie. the power goes out; the internet goes down; the hvac minisplit fails), virtually no guest victim has dinged me for it.  I've often wondered why, but after four years of doing this, I have come up with a system that works most of the time:

1.  First, you need to figure out what kind of people are going to be your "guests" and why they are here.  Do they seem friendly and open in the reservation process?  Do they express some kind of gratitude or excitement about coming?   Or are they perfunctory, communicate little or nothing about themselves and give you the feeling that you are just the "front desk."  If the latter, trouble is on the horizon and you have to deliver some kind of "extras" even if they don't take you up on them - you need to figure out what and abase yourself accordingly.

2.  Make your listing as accurate as possible and NEVER promise anything that you don't deliver or may be misconstrued.

3.  NEVER allow guests who are unrelated kids under 22 who are not in the military.

4.  ALWAYS deliver more in terms of service and amenities than you post in your listing.

5.  If anything goes wrong with the stay, promptly apologize and rebate the guest more than the problem deserves - you may lose a little money, but you can probably avoid losing a star.

6.  ALWAYS check in with your guests during their stay to make sure things are going smoothly ( they won't always tell you the truth, but there's nothing you can do about that).

Ultimately, if you bust your butt to provide a quality experience, the best you can do is try to avoid the "bad" guest to start with and that is not always possible so you need to see them coming and plan accordingly.  Other examples: " I know that your listing says maximum of two people, but can we bring our three year old, she can stay in the bed with us"? " Gee, I'm sorry, but my homeowner's insurance won't allow more than two people and you know how those insurance companies are. " or how about " I know that check-in is at 3 pm. but my plane lands at 7 am so can I check in early?"  "Gee, I will try to accomodate you, but the cleaning is usually not finished until after 1 pm. at the earliest - you can always store your stuff in the garage. "  Same with the "late" check-outs.  You can see them coming.  You just need to figure out the best way to deal with them.

Good luck.

Yannis27
Level 1
Ierapetra, Greece

I feel the need to share my experience too...

I am kinda new at Airbnb I have a house at the beach that I let it be available for guests for 3 months per year. I am hosting for 2 years now and I just had the most strange experience till now. I was hosting a lovely family from Holland everything was good, really good actually, even when they had a problem with air condition I called the guy that knows about those staff and everything was fixed in like 20 minutes. In general for every guest I have, no matter if it’s for a day or for 2 weeks I always spent like 50€ to get them things that they will make them happy especially at summer like beers(a lot) , juices and some local food. Even for the barbecue I will get them to the butcher in the city that I shop for my own. So those guests were leaving early in the morning like 6am so I woke up I went to get them something to eat while they were on the way to the airport and to say goodbye. They seem so happy when I went there with the breakfast. They thanked me a lot for everything, they let me a note with a many wishes plus 50€ as a gift for the hosting I provide to them. Even the review was amazing. Still I got 5 from all the other guests except from them and that made me sad... not that much for the 4 star review but for the fact that it was made from them.. sorry for my English , but I feel a bit confused about this incident that happened few hours ago.

Margaret1088
Level 3
San Antonio, NM

Humans- we all have our quirks!

We point out our guestbook/binder & tells guests that most things they need to know are in there (the same info as in our listing) but still get cranky comments sometimes. One couple complained about the gate that encloses the property, asking who we were trying to keep in or out - - even though it is in our listing as “private, off-street, etc.,” shown in our photos, and usually considered an asset  by 99% of other guests. 
Just got to let it go.