Instant booking: will it be required because of prejudice? Ridiculous

Maureen44
Level 2
West Hollywood, CA

Instant booking: will it be required because of prejudice? Ridiculous

Is it true that hosts will be required to accept instant bookings? I was told in no uncertain terms not to do that because last minute guests tend to be the ones who trash your place. In addition how do you have time to get your property ready? Grocery shop etc? 

What does instant booking have to do with prejudice? My guests are multi-racial  I don't understand

6 Replies 6
Kurt-and-Kim0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

We are Airbnb "Superhosts"  because we care and commit to every guest each time we feel will be a good fit for our property and location. We have hosted many from all walks of life...most good...but yes...1 -2 was awful.   UNTIL Airbnb holds their "guests" to the same standards we must meet as hosts...NO THANKS to your Instabook requirements.  How many of the money holders at Airbnb have rental properties they manage?  WE are your community first and foremost.  We are the ambassadors of your company.  Perhaps you should rethink the type of client you would like us to host no matter what???!  Where is the thoughtful in this decision process?

-Super hosts

Margo5
Level 4
Austin, TX

I had a similar concern that instant booking would somehow become mandatory. No thanks. I agree that AirBnB must do more to background check and vet the guests before I would even consider instant booking. It's my house and I live here. No way am I going to have an overnight guest that I haven't conversed with first and checked out their social media info.

I have instant booking in my listings, it actually increase booking. I never had any problem (knock on wood lol) with any strange or unusual charcters.

David15
Level 2
Asheville, NC

What part of  "We’ll increase the availability of Instant Book..." makes you think that IB will become mandatory?  Why do you listen to unfounded rumors and social media speculation and then get upset? Do you really think AirBnB would mandate that unscreened guests must be allowed in your home (that would be business suicide)?

I accept that there have been real problems with discrimination in the AirBnB community and applaud AirBnB for this first attempt to address it.  If they didn't, that would also be business suicide. Let's see how this develops, especially the concern that "age discrimination" needs further definition in the policy statement (in fact, "age discrimination," in legal terms, does NOT include restricting the access of minors to certain services or facilities), and work with AirBnB to refine the policy such that it works for everyone.

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Instant booking does not mean last minute. It means guests can book immediately without chatting with you.

The number of time required between guests is a different setting .
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Maureen44

IB isn't mandatory yet, but at the rate they're pushing things, who knows maybe it will be in a couple years.

Somebody on a host forum mentioned having an inside source who knows that the company is aiming for 80% IB of bookings by the end of 2017.

As I see it this silly discrimination situation was a wonderful god-sent opportunity to push the IB curse further.

What I have noticed is that my reservations seem to have dried up suddenly. Maybe one inquiry in a month!!! That is not normal for my city even with so much competition and my location just outside of center. At this rate I'll never be able to keep SH status and then my listing will drop off completely.

This due to changed algorithms to favor and push IB.