Internet down 1st night of stay. Offer reimbursement?

Lester0
Level 1
California, United States

Internet down 1st night of stay. Offer reimbursement?

Hello, as luck would have it the wireless router went on the blink the first night of my guests' stay. I was not near the property so I had to work with Verizon remotely but they weren't able to fix it. Verizon came the morning of the second day and replaced the router.

The guest hasn't asked for any type of reimbursement but my sense is it would be a nice gesture to offer something, regardless of how small. Anyone have input or experience in dealing with a key amenity not working for part of a stay? Many thanks...
5 Replies 5
Tony58
Level 2
Kincardine, Canada

I am also curious as to what steps should be takin in this circumstance. As I have had many interenet in the past and I was fortunate to have very patient guests and they understood.

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

To be honest they may not have been too fussed so aren't asking for a refund.  How about a gift of chocolates or something rather than getting involved with refunds etc.

Mel

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

You could offer a partial refund. Often they don't take you up on it.
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It need not be monetary - a bottle of wine, some chocolates, etc... If they have not complained then it is unlikely to have been a big issue for them and they will be aware of your efforts to have it replaced very quickly.

Marie3
Level 4
Northfield, MN

Six years ago we stayed at a home in Seward Alaska. (tracked down through a CC listing for the town) During our stay the hot water stopped working for about half a day. We didn't get to take morning showers, but it was working when we came back from our day of hiking. Other than reporting that there wasn't hot water we did not complain and were happy it was fixed quickly. Our host left us an apology note and $50. It was way more than was needed. However I was so pleased that I went through quite a bit to get his place listed on Trip Advisor so I could leave a review, and other travelors could more easily find him. So sometimes the good karma you generate comes back around. Any type of recognition of the breakdown would be nice (as mentioned wine, candy, flowers) These days people don't have others go out of their way for them very often, small tokens can go a long way.