Is Airbnb illegal in Singapore?

Subhash0
Level 1
Thane, India

Is Airbnb illegal in Singapore?

Now this is bizarre to say the least. I had booked a place on 12th June 2017. My card was debited and the booking was confirmed. The same reservation was cancelled on 19th June 2017. The HOST cited the reason that "due to new rules & regulations from the Singaporean government I am taking a break from Airbnb". I tried looking for a place yesterday and had booked a place which turned out to be the same place that I had booked last time. I called up the HOST (this time there is a new lady) and she confides of serious problem on Airbnb in Singapore. My problem now is that I can't even ask for cancellation as the property has a STRICT cancellation policy.

Therefore my question to Airbnb is don't you treat listing properties in Singapore and subsequently having them reserved is some kind of illegal activity that you are promoting. Least to mention the level of harrasment , loss of money and stress that you are causing to your members?

This is not appreciated at all. I tried posting this on your help site but couldn't find anything on the menu.

1 Reply 1
Jode0
Level 1
Lilyfield, Australia

Hi.  We have just returned from Singapore where we were a guest.

When we got to our apratment there were signs that the block did not welcome short-term rentals and that owners (not guests) could be prosecuted.

We also received a spot-check from the local housing authority (at 10pm at night) asking us why we were there, if we paid, how many people, where the owner was etc.  They were looking for evidence that we were paying guests.  They also asked to see passports and inspect inside - which I refused.

If you are renting in Singapore you should ask your host specifically if they have permission to short-term rent from their block.

If you are AirBnb Management - you need to consider if you should accept bookings from Singapore.