Is Airbnb legal in Barcelona

Poppy18
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

Is Airbnb legal in Barcelona

Hi everyone, I've searched high and low but can't seem to get a definitive answer on whether Airbnb is legal in Barcelona. 

For renting out an entire property it is definitely illegal. You need to have a tourist licence from the city council and these are imposible to obtain. There are many well publicised campaigns about shutting down and fining these illegal rentals.

What I cannot find clear info on though is whether I can rent a spare room in my house or not?

Different things I have read/heard (that say it is OK to host) include:

As long as it is your residence and you live there/are present while guests are there. 

As long as it's no more than 2 rooms in your house being rented out. 

That each rental is less than 28 days.

As long as it is not for more than 4 months in total out of 12 months. 

But really I am not sure which (if any) of these are correct. 

Thanks for any advice! 

5 Replies 5
Alma0
Level 4
Barcelona, Spain

Hi Poppy

So far it's OK to rent a room or two in your property, Barcelona government is working to give room-licenses but until that happens it's legal to rent. 

So about your questions....

1.- As long as it is your residence and you live there/are present while guests are there. 

--- we have to add that you need to be THE OWNER of the property and live and be in the " padron " 

some people are confused, if you are the tenant and you want to rent rooms in the apartment you             live in, you will need to ask for permission to your landlord otherwise you will be evicted, and lose                 the deposit of your apartment when the owner knows

2.-   As long as it's no more than 2 rooms in your house being rented out. 

--- YES

3.- That each rental is less than 28 days.

---- YES

4.- As long as it is not for more than 4 months in total out of 12 months.

--- this I have not hear it before, I think this is for Madrid area.

Any other question, just write me.

Can I check the law hasn't changed as of yet?

Oliver427
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Does anyone know if you now need a license for renting out a spare room in an apartment of more than 1 room?

Kerim-Ekrem0
Level 1
Barcelona, ES

Hi Everyone , 

Does anyone now the exact regulations on renting a spare room  in Barcelona? Im am the current owner and i occasionally rent room via Airbnb but some people in my apartment have complained to Ajuntament so i want to make sure what the exact regulations are.. 

thanks alot 

Hi @Kerim-Ekrem0 ! Did you receive any answer to this? Thanks 🙂