Is a local Souvenir shop sign classified as "Direct advertising for an Airbnb Guest room"?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Is a local Souvenir shop sign classified as "Direct advertising for an Airbnb Guest room"?

Hi fellow CC members,

In my local city of Auckland we had a fabulous Souviner shop in Parnell Village called the Elephant House that has operated for over 30 years and it's reopening as The Fantail House this month.

In my wisdom and as a Local who tries to do there best to support local businesses I placed a copy of the attached image on my listing with the a caption stating it is where you can go to buy NZ Souviners only to recieve an email to advise it's been removed as it's considered direct advertising for my Airbnb Guest Room..., alas I am not involved in any shape or form other than a customer and encourage Guests/ Tourists to visit this shop for New Zealand gifts.

It's not the name of my Airbnb so I'm a little puzzled as I try to encourage my guests to Live like a Local!

Should this be considered to be "direct advertising" of my Airbnb listing or not?

Thoughts and suggestions folks?WP_20181009_045.jpg

9 Replies 9
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

We noticed on your listing that you provided direct contact information in one or more photos. Just a quick reminder of our guidelines for using Airbnb—we require all communication to be handled on the site before a reservation has taken place to maintain your privacy, help provide customer support, and adhere to the Airbnb Terms of Service. This means that you should not exchange addresses, websites, email addresses, or telephone numbers before booking a reservation. Read more about why it’s best to keep your communication and transactions on our site.

"We have gone ahead and removed the following photo from your listing. The next time you are uploading photos to your profile or listing, please avoid selecting photos with contact information on them."

This is a copy of the email I recieved...Good luck to anyone trying to make a Reservation at a shop for a bed and breakfast for the night!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen427  How absurd. Not only do guests not read hosts' information, Airbnb doesn't read it either.I think their stupid computer bot picked this out and no real human at Airbnb ever looked at it. I'd call them to let them know that they made an error- all you were doing was showcasing a local business which promotes work by local artists that you think would be interesting to your guests and that you have zero financial connection to that shop. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Even if you get a real person to reinstate it, the computer will probably delete it again. Re-post it with the email address cropped out. 

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

This is airbnb's infamous computer algorithm or bot if you like. You cannot have any words on your photos particularly telephone numbers or email addresses 

You might have been suspended . 

The place to advertise other businesses is in your guide book or in the information folder in your unit. 

I don't agree with the rules either but I can think of other more important reasons to fall out with airbnb. 

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Oh, dear @Helen427, you've been nipped! (n-i-p, meaning to be cut, in case I get **bleeped**)!

The system is not perfect, as I think we all know. 

Sorry, love!

Kim
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Wow, tricky scan feature to be able pick up a url in a photo; undoubtedly that is what triggered the objection.  Of course, it could decipher its honest intentions. Beautiful sign.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Fred13@Kathie21@Andrew157@Kimberly54@Sarah977thanks for your input.

It was by chance I was in the vicinity for something else I thought I'd pop in to see one of my favourite shops & heard the unfortunate news that the previous person who was managing The Elephant House had dropped dead suddenly and left a bit of a mess for those associated with this cooperative.

They were putting up the new signs when I was there so I managed to capture the old signs begore they were removed and new ones on camera so I'm naturally disappointed my own images have been removed.

Small businesses and those who volunteer there time in the shop deserve all the support they can get - guess it's a little like when Airbnb first started.

@Lizzie @Quincy any ideas what may have triggered this off to deny me having put this image up?

Would it be becuse of the use of the word "house"?

Or because of the website link?

I'm reluctant to put up my photo again even if it is cropped without The Fantail House website in it.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Helen

Its the website link and anything that looks like an email address or a phone number.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Helen

Im on the same page as you.

I posted a photo of a local hotel with its menu of my listing and the photo was automatically removed the next day by air bnb.