Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

Answered!
Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

I understand that hosts should / must / have to provide a clean space before a guest checks in for their stay.

But are hosts responsible for cleaning the accommodation for the guest daily or is it the responsibility of the guest to clean for themselves daily during their stay?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

You can find more information on "What's expected from guests" by clicking here 👈

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146

Hi Carmen - We make it clear on the house rules that guests are responsible for keeping the place relatively clean during thier stay. We clean each rental between guests so the rental is always clean and spotless when they arrive. We consistently get 5 star ratings for cleanliness. The quality of cleaning also influences guests to take care of the space and clean up after themselves as they would in thier own home.

Like a few other host comments, we can provide weekly cleanings for a fee. If a guest wants clean bedding and towels we provide that at no charge however if they want a weekly housekeeping and thorough cleaning we charge $100.

It's really important to set expectations in advance by making sure guests understand what the house rules are and what thier responsilities as guests are. Check out procedures also give them an idea of how to leave the space in respectable condition when they leave

Here's what we publish for checout procedures.

Check-Out Procedures: When your stay is completed and you are ready to check-out please do the following.

1. Close and lock all windows and close blinds.

2. Turn off all lights, small appliances and fireplaces.

3. Remove your trash and recyclables.

4. Put all dirty dishes in the dishwasher (you don't need to run the dishwasher)

5. Put all dirty/used towels in the bathtub.

6. Leave all bedding and pillows on the beds.

7. Report any damaged or missing items to your Hosts.

8. Make sure you have ALL of your belongings.

9. Lock the door when you leave.

Hope this helps,
    Stan

@Stan-and-Jan0 thanks for sharing! The checkout is great stuff. Could you also give a written example of your cleaning language? We have guests coming for an extended stay and are exploring all areas on how to proceed. Thanks in advance!

Expectations on cleanliness need to be spelled out both in the description and the rules. This can make for some rather long rules, but if they're framed simply and positively, almost everybody gets it. When I give new guests a tour, I show them how to clean, and where the supplies are. Easy!

I am a frequent flyer at the local industrial supply house. I also scour the local maid service for tips on optimal cleaning. I personally commit to at least 1-2 hours a day cleaning common areas. When we are very busy, I also have a co-host to help out.

Most recently I upped my cleaning fees considerably to present a more accurate reflection of how much time is involved changing out a room. It's actually worked out quite well. And the co-host got a raise.

Normally I clean before arrival and departure. House rules state to clean up after themselves and I clean all common areas. For long term guest I have additional instructions about changing the linens and towels and describe where the cleaning supplies are located. My current guest has been with me for a week and will be leaving in 3 days; they demanded that I clean the bathroom (which is for their use only). I explained to guest that I don't clean during their stay unless they are here for two weeks and they got upset. I reminded them that it was clear in the guest rules and showed them the cleaning supplies. I don't charge a cleaning fee as most of my guest are two/three days. I might have to change that for long term guest. My guest have been doing laundry everyday since they arrived. I explained when they arrived that they needed to provide their own laundry detergent and they were upset about it. Some guest seem to be more demanding than others. I've had a few other long term guest and none have behaved like my current guest. My advice is make instructions clear on house rules and during checkin procedures. I've never had to ask any guest leave but if I were in your shoes I probably would have. If guest want cleaning service everyday than they should have stayed at a hotel which is the norm, hence the reason they charge more per night.  Best of luck with future guest. 

Hi Martha,

Thanks for this. I'm wondering where you put the house rules - on the posting, or....?

Please put house rules /expectations in thw posting because if they checkin and see a bunch of rules they hadnt planned on then they wont be happy. And jt would be inaccurate. 

Bernard71
Level 2
QC, Philippines

i think both. guest should be responsible to clean during their stay (like dishes, trash, etc) while the host is responsible for general cleaning (bathroom, windows, etc) and also make sure that the next guest has a clean place to stay

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I don't enter private bedrooms or private bathrooms unless the guest requests it.

Guests get a fresh set of towels every other day and I make up the bed with fresh linens after five days whether they ask for it or not.  It is much easier for me to launder towels and linens and get them to high standards if they don't get too funky.

Guests make sure they "clean up" after themselves in the common areas (kitchen, dining room, living room, decks) but they don't clean the way I clean so I scrub daily.

I allow no one to load my dishwasher.  No one rinses dishes and stacks them the way I do so when they DO load it, I have to unload, rinse, stack and it's a waste of everyone's time.

I take care of the trash because I know what goes into the compost bin, the recycling bin, the garbage disposal, and the regular trash.

I clean everything everyday (except for the guest quarters) and that makes it sooooo much easier for me to keep up with the place.

You can ask guests to clean up but they may not do it to your liking so you'll have to do it yourself anyway, in which case, asking them and getting twisted about it is just a waste of time.

Deanna28
Level 2
Portland, OR

With regard to cleanliness, I've had a couple guests comment about a couple places in my large home that are not even part of their guest experience.  My kitchen is not listed as part of the home for their use.  I provide a small refridgerator upstairs for my guests to share in a common area.  I am a partner in an agency that feeds thousands of homeless and struggling families in my city.  My kitchen is a busy place and I get cases of food and spices delivered almost daily.

A couple of my guests have found the boxes and my kitchen their point of review criticism, when in fact, I've been renting private rooms for approximately $22 USD, in one of the most prestigous and safe areas in Portland, Oregon - and my entire home is not part of their experience for that price.  I am more concerned with making sure that thousands of people eat this week than I am in making sure that every dish in the sink is clean or that there aren't boxes of food and spices on the counters.

Short of addressing this in my bio, I'm not sure how to make people understand that parts of my home that are not subject to their use should also not be subject to their scrutiny.  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

I put up a curtain to block guests view from private area..Might get something better later but good for now. 

You can address this in "House Rules" section. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Deanna28 

Thank you so much for helping the homeless.

I would consider describing 'no go areas' in your home and why just as you have above!