Is it normal to have lots of phone calls and house visit before a booking is confirmed?

Angie12
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Is it normal to have lots of phone calls and house visit before a booking is confirmed?

Hi there, 

I'm new to hosting and would welcome advice from seasoned hosts about what the norm is once a booking is confirmed. I have had someone come around to see our house, whereupon they confirmed booking but now keep calling me with questions about the price. They are paying in euro, I am listing in sterling, I am assuming the difference is the exchange rate, the guest thinks I have changed listed prices, but I definitely haven't.

Kind of annoying... I thought airbnb was straighforward - book it if you like it and are happy with terms, show up and enjoy your stay.

Advice? Many thanks!

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

No it isnt, is this for a long period.

How did they come around before they booked?

Basically it is people dealing with people and some people can make a simple trsaction complicated, sometimes you need to manage the situation.

David

Not normal and how did they find you?  Frequently, I have longer staying guests and  as they have a relative who knows me, they want to see the place to be sure. However unless you have some relationship with these people, do not accept this booking.  If they have already booked and you cant get out of it, lay down the law and tell them the place is as advertised at the price advertised and if they are unhappy, perhaps they would like to cancel and look elsewhere.  Make sure it is they who cancel, not you!

ZenHomes0
Level 10
Singapore

@Angie12 It can be a normal behaviour for guests to request to view the place before booking, especially if they live nearby or they're new to Airbnb and don't really get the concept that it's different from renting longer-term. But most guests don't request to view as they tend to come from further away. Also if a guest tends to ask too many questions, they're likely very choosy guests you don't want to have who will end up giving you a review to suggest the dust particle on your door knob wasn't meeting 'western standards'. 

I've had a viewing once but requested that they book first before viewing. ALWAYS book first before viewing, you can promise a refund (less Airbnb fees) later provided they cancel from their end, not yours. This is your home so they'll have to play by your rules.

Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

No, that is not normal. The guests will not get either contact info or address, before the bookings is complete. And if they ask for it, you tell them to keep communication withing Airbnb.

I haven't had anyone stop by to check out my place first, as I don't want the argument of booking outside the Airbnb system. I have lot's of people trying to do so and I tell them to book or get lost. If the don't book through Airbnb, I will report them.