Is it possible to host scam me?

Emil16
Level 1
Sofia, Bulgaria

Is it possible to host scam me?

Hello 🙂

In this case... i'm a guest and me and group of friends will go to Italy. (I don't know if i can post here private information for host, if i can i will do it)

So.. I found good looking app. for good price ... BUT

- The host is reg. in May 2017.

- Only verif. Email address and Phone number

- No reviews on the profile

- No profile picture (on face or something)

If I pay for the app, can he/she go away with them? There is protection for my money?

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emil16

New host, new property, no reviews and no photo - that is not unusual.

Would I feel comfortable booking this property? No...

It may not be a scam however if you are going to book then use a credit card (which offers some protection). In addition, remember that when you pay AirBnB they hold your money until about 24 hours after you check in. So, in theory if the host or property does not exist then you have about 24 hours to let AirBnB know and they can stop payment to the host.

Finally why not email the host with your request for dates and ask some questions about the property and it;s location - ask if you will be the first people to rent the place on AirBnB? Does s/he rent it out on other sites?

@Gerry-And-Rashid0,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Didn't know for that 24 hours protection, thank you!

Yeah, I ask the host for typical questions and only one that bothers me is : 

The host knows only Italian (not a big deal) but when I ask for things that I can see in the city the answer is: Don't worry will tell you everything when we see each other.

@Emil16

I wouldn't be comfortable to book this apartment. Particulary if I would get such answer. For example if someone asks me for places to visit in my town , at LEAST I would send him a link to the official city website . On English. 

This host is either a scum or he is not used on online communciation and Airbnb way of hosting. Either way it doesn't seem as a good choice. 

@Emil16

Just had 2 Italian guys stay who spoke hardly any English.  I guess written messageing English was thanks to online translation service.

I had the impression they didn't understand a number of my instructions...

From what I have gathered a lot of Italians don\t understand or speak English properly, but I'd say if it's too vague, don't do it.