Is it true that a false review is acceptable with in the guidelines?

Iris29
Level 2
Esterillos Este, Costa Rica

My guest claimed he had no place to cook.  He rented a tree house with photos of every detail. It has a bedroom, two balconies, and a full bath.  The listing was clear.

There is a full community kitchen less than 100 feet away.  How can he get away with lieing like this?  

He paid $39 for one night and said he expected an entire house to himself.  He is also trying to open an eco village in Costa Rica like ours, Saint Micheal's Eco Village. His project has not experienced the growth or sucess we had. He was traveling with a 13 year old girl he said was his daughter.  I offered one of our other rentals.  There were full homes available in 2 bedroom and up.  He could have had a kitchen if he wanted it. Is there anything I can do other than deleting the entire listing to stop publicizing his lies? 

15 Replies 15
Duane25
Level 2
Paris, France

Hi Iris,

Your situation is tipically one where you can prove that you've correctly informed your guest. I feel for you and it is not normal that Airbnb doesn't something.

Airbnb needs to do something about slanderous reviews, when we can objectively prove that the guest's allegations are false.
Recently a heavyset guest didn't feel at ease in my studio, which is small and adapted for slim persons (it is said tactfully in my listing, but it is clearly said). She wrote that "You must move the table to attach the ladder for the bed. When you do this you either block the refrigerator or the path to the toilet or the exit door." This is preposterous and untrue. This is not subjective, it is a pure lie and it can be proved with the plan of the studio.
Airbnb didn't accept to remove the review, invoking the "right to depict individualized experience".

How could we, hosts, force Airbnb to change its policy when it can be objectively proved that reviews are false? If people have similar slanderous reviews which can be proved untrue, I'm ready to gather our indisputable concerns and lead the charge. Try to reach me via my number *sensitive information hidden*

Thanks for reading, best to all.

Duane listing