Is multiple listing for the same address allowed? Is it fair to other hosts?

Answered!

Is multiple listing for the same address allowed? Is it fair to other hosts?

Hello Hosts,

Of late the number of inquiries and bookings have reduced drastically. When i did a little research, i noticed at a single property has been listed 62 times in my location, which definitely reduce the chances of my home or other hosts' homes to be viewed by guests. Also, the host is an individual who lists on behalf of a company which runs hospitality business.

Do you think this is unfair? Should such lisitings and hosts be allowed on Airbnb?

What do you suggest i do in this situation?

I am losing income due to this.

Warm regards,

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If a host has a bed and breakfast or home with multiple rooms, each room is listed separately.  Hotels can do the same thing and if a hotel has 67 rooms, they will list each room separately.  However, each listing will have similar amenities and if your listing has different amenities, then there is no direct competition.  

May  hosts have complained that the owner occupied listing needs to be differentiated from the hotel. According to the last Q and A, Air BNB is looking into this issue.  Not sure what they will come up with. 😄

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If a host has a bed and breakfast or home with multiple rooms, each room is listed separately.  Hotels can do the same thing and if a hotel has 67 rooms, they will list each room separately.  However, each listing will have similar amenities and if your listing has different amenities, then there is no direct competition.  

May  hosts have complained that the owner occupied listing needs to be differentiated from the hotel. According to the last Q and A, Air BNB is looking into this issue.  Not sure what they will come up with. 😄

Thanks a lot @Linda108

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

If it is 62 of the same listing for the same host then they will eventually get stuck in a bad situation with being double booked. If that is the case then the greed will catch up to them

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers

Thank you @Devin-and-Sarah0

Heneka1
Level 2
Portmore, Jamaica

I had a bad encounter trying to list a gust house for 16 persons. They listed the place for 1 price and after I had booked and paid the host contacted me about an increase as "there is no room that can host 16 persons", he said.

@Heneka1   That's because the host doesn't know how to properly set up their listings. They need to have a separate listing for each room, with the max. # of guests that room can be booked for. Manynof these hosts shoot themselves in the foot, as it appears that you can book the whole place for, in your case, 16 people but they have set up the listing so that it says 16 for the same price as one guest. You're better off not booking with a host like this, anyway, as they may be clueless about other hosting duties as well.

On point @Sarah977...thanks again for the suggestions too...I forget to use the '@' sign 🙂

Lauren213
Level 2
United States

Some of these hosts are running hostels and not informing guests of the hostel like setting. Many of my guests have mentioned they have had to share rooms with five or more people, line for bathrooms, safety concerns, noise, etc.  Our homes are being forced to compete with these hostels.  I put a lot of work into my listing and am annoyed that I have to compete with hostels that pretend they are just regular homes.  

I can imagin@Lauren0 how frustrating this is.