Is there a Formal Complaints Handling Procedure at Airbnb, because there REALLY needs to be?

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Is there a Formal Complaints Handling Procedure at Airbnb, because there REALLY needs to be?

I have had on-going problems with Airbnb, as a host.  There software is full of bugs.  There 'customer service' handlers are often ignorant, simple, incapable of understanding problems, live in America and think that the system should be the same for everyone (not country dependent) and unable to solve problems.

Any organisation the size of Airbnb should have a clear, effective and transparent Complaints Handling Procedure for complaints against them. 

Airbnb misleds their customer base.

Airbnb misrepresents the service that they offer.

Airbnb incorrectly promotes Host properties by mis-placing their properties.

Airbnb incorrectly promotes Host properties in terms of pricing - they advertise incorrect prices.

Airbnb mapping software is seriously flawed - properties disappear from exact locatity map displays

Airbnb's algorithms for deciding which properties to display first (on the left in photo) is supposed to be random, but it clearly isn't

Airbnb is not what it purports to be and there appears to be no recourse.

Hosts are reliant on Airbnb's software working accurately and for complaints and problems to be resolved in a timely fashion.  Currently this is not so.  The risks of using Airbnb are significant.

Airbnb can not be relied upon.

145 Replies 145
Sam125
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I think that you'll find that's because that post was from a guest. And what I think Airbnb is forgetting/overlooking is that hosts can also be guests - like me.

Lizzie , Do you work at Airbnb ? I agree with everyone’s complaints here about Airbnb’s treatment of hosts.  I have an issue where my place was completely trashed leaving damage to everything . I provided all the backup Airbnb requested and can’t get any response from Airbnb on the matter and they deleted the user, so I can get it reviewed by trust and safety . I have made 15+ phone calls and no one ever helps or even knows what I am talking about from call to call . Airbnb cant be this bad at customer service . This is probably the worst I have ever been treat from any corporate company making claims they don’t back up. I have everything ready to send to someone, but I can’t get anyone to send it to because trust and safety is so secretive and won’t talk to a host . Please advise . 

@Brandon236  You should tag Lizzie in your post- otherwise she won't see that there is a post addressing her. Just hit the @ symbol and a drop-down box will appear with names in it, click on the name of the person you're posting to. Not all names in a thread will appear, if the name you want isn't there, you can click on their profile photo and send them a personal message.

Lizzie doesn't work in customer service, she's one of the forum moderators here, but she can sometimes bring things to Airbnb's attention.

Abyssmal customer service you've received.

Im thinking about filling a law suit, back in June 2019 a guest rented my place throw a huge party, had an orgy  and burglarized my home, had a shooting inside and outside of my home. They totally destroyed my home. Reached out to airbnb when my cleaning crew went to clean home, didnt hear anything from airbnb 10 days later they finally reached out to me  because I took it to social media and the news than they respond. They sent an insurance adjuster to our home 2 months later, after I repaired the damages and put my home on the market.

Brian478
Level 2
Marble Falls, TX

After I had a group spend a weekend in my home, I did t receive my payout. After several attempts to find out why, I finally heard from customer service that there were “deductions”  and that’s all they told. I complained again and asked what this meant. I was told by another ”someone already told you that you had deductions.” I was still not sure what they mean and was offended at their rude curt reply.

Finally another person told me I had a complaint a while back about cleanliness and the guest demanded a refund, which I never agreed to my house is professionally cleaned and she told 24 hours after she had already stayed in my home. .

I was neve given a chance to mediate this or defend myself. 

Does anyone know y legal rights? Thank you

Diana495
Level 10

Look up who your 'local' Airbnb HQ is and it should say somewhere in their who they are 'regulated' by.  If you find out, complain to them and post the contact details on here.  If we don't do something, they just get away with it

Diana495
Level 10

I agree. Airbnb are so slow to make their systems work effectively.

Has anyone at Airbnb provided you with the algorithm for working out the star ratings?

Guests are getting smarter at fleecing hosts.  And Airbnb are the experts at fleecing hosts!

Airbnb harangue hosts putting them under undue pressure, making the experience very unpleasant.

The Airbnb platform could be so much better, they get plenty of free feedback, time they listened and employed people to get on with it.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Diane

If we had less vague guest reviews so we have a better idea of who we are inviting  into our home as well as truly verified profiles now that Im tired of corresponding with plates of spaghetti, cats or teddy bears!

Fellow host......I’ve just had the guest I would NOT want to host again and they got a 5* star, review so WHAT THE HECK, is going on?

Other host.......Oh it couldn’t be that bad, just chalk it down to experience as it WILL make YOU a better host. I suggest that you don’t cane this guest, just write “best suited to a hotel” as EVERYONE surely knows, what this guest did in your family home.

Fellow host.......but that’s so vague, how’s that going to help this guest bouncing around air bnb from unsuspecting host to host?

Other host.........it’s ONLY a review, for goodness sake! It soon gets buried anyway, but most  important of all, I DONT want to risk my STATS!

Sound familiar? 

I made a complaint on Sunday and there has been no progress made with my case and today is now Friday. I’ve lost a great amount of money working with Airbnb and I have now waited five days just to get the case started and that’s completely ridiculous. This is 100% the worst customer service I’ve ever received from a company in my life and considering the amount of money I lost by a scammer who used all of AirBnbs logos and URLs, it’s shocking that this company has showed a complete lack of interest in resolving my problem!

Hello

So, my account was hacked, all info and calender data lost and this all happened just as I was in discussion with a large booking who would have then saw that my property was no available when it was.

I had to chase Airbnb, had no formal apology and after 5 attempts to reach soemone senior she said thats unforunate...... and hacking is a bit like a tornado coming at you, it just happens

I am dumbstruck......another tech bohemoth with no face to it

thankyou Airbnb for treating me like s**t

Diana495
Level 10

I am sorry to hear about this.

I am afraid that this is how Airbnb treat their customers.  When it works, it works well, but when there is a problem, this is exactly how they treat you.

Diana495
Level 10

No formal complaints, but dig around on their site and find out who they are 'regulated' by and COMPLAIN!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Diana495 

All the information you need to 

let you know your rights, and more importantly, how you can exercise those rights, is in the following link. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/MUST-READ-UPDATED-AIRBNB-T-amp-Cs-FOR-EUROPEAN-AND-NON-E...

Githa0
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

I've experienced similar frustrations. Since November 22nd 2018, I had tried to request photography services via Airbnb. I used Airbnb photography 2.5 years ago but since then I have renovated the house and it has changed dramatically, thetefore looks completely different. The photography link wouldn't work for my listing 'because I'd already had photos years ago and apparently its against policy to book (and pay) for more than one set with Airbnb'?! (why???), despite Airbnb referencing a 40% Airbnb uplift with professional marketing shots etc. Why would a business would not want its Super Hosts to secure as many bookings as possible and improve their marketing anyway, is beyond me. However, each time I've made contact with Airbnb I've been told a different story and completely fobbed off, even lied to. They refused to let me speak to a manager when I requested , failed to call me back on numerous occasions after promising to do so, ignored my emails (one of about 12 to try to get this sorted out), failed to respond to my formal complaint, deliberately disconnected two of my calls when I asked to speak to a manager (one of around 14 calls to try to get this sorted out), refused to send me their complaints policy, refused to pass on details of their local area photographer who they said was too busy as it was Christmas, and that was why no one has responded (lies). I've since managed to track down the photographer via another local host; he was completely dismayed at the situation and advised that had been available since 22nd November and hadn't once been contacted by Airbnb about my request. Finally managed to book him privately this week. However, I'm certain I could have secured plenty more bookings if I'd had professional shots from 22nd November. All this has taken 6 weeks whilst I've been recovering from illness.  I'm completely apaulled by this treatment when I've been a hard working and loyal superhost for over 2 years now. All I needed from the get go was a set of photographs! Rather than being fobbed off with scripted responses, by a different member of staff each time, who lied to me, disconnected my calls and generally showed a lack of care and accountability. I'm also amazed that a company as large as Airbnb do not show a copy of their complaints process or provide a complaints procedure anywhere. They are refusing to respond to my complaint formally, or send me their policy. To reiterate, I'm appaulled with Airbnb who in the past, were quite supportive and previously had a 'can do' attitude. Does anyone have any suggestions on the latter please? Or can anyone direct me to a complaints procedure? 

Zacharias3
Level 1
Dallas, TX

I have 4 houses with one being an executive home and another being a lake property executive that I was wanting to change over from rental to airbnb short term and spending THOUSANDS on furnishings!!!

I called to speak to someone about questions concerning signing up.

1) we will send you a text message to verify who you are and your account (i guess my account as a user.  I use or USED airbnb all the time and 5 times in the last 3 months.

2) I click on the airbnb text they sent to confirm my account.

3) Customer service asks my name

ok

4) Customer service asks my phone number
   ok

5) Customer service asks my email address
wait miss I am calling to ask you questions and you are asking ME questions

Sir I have to verify who you are.  

Miss you have me verified because I clicked on the stupid link you sent me.

Sir you must have clicked on it before you called me because it didnt show up.

WHAT ... how in jesus name can I click on something BEFORE I CALL YOU when you have to send me the link AFTER I CALL.!  Let me speak to a supervisor please.

Sir I need to verify who you are before I can escalate to a supervisor.

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS   @__________.COM

6) And what credit card payment do you have on file?

MISS LOOK I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU MY CREDIT CARD.  I HAVE 15 AND I DONT KNOW WHICH ONE I USE WITH YOU AND IT SHOULDNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE.  I AM NOT TRYING TO BOOK I AM TRYING TO MAKE YOU (AIRBNB) MONEY BY SIGNING UP MY HOUSES NOW PLEASE PUT ME OVER TO THAT DEPT.

Sir I will need to verify you before . . . .

after 5 or 6 times asking for a supervisor and said LOOK in all do respect when someone asks ONLY ONE TIME to speak to your supervisor Ramona who cannot give out YOUR ID but you ask ME every question in the world .... the next then that shoudl come out of your mout is One Moment Sir I will transfer you to my supervisor!

But NO. ..so I ask for a case #49398440  .... thank you Ramona I will take this up with Airbnb corporate and have a GREAT DAY!  

so.. as of now no coroporate listing.... guess they dont want my business in Dallas Texas.

I know there are other services because I have used them on ocassion... 

Hell of a way to run  a business.

I am history ... maybe we should start a customer related HomeAway Airbnb with some common sense and trained and educated customer service.

Airbnb i have been one of  your best customers and free public relations proponents  praising my great deals when renting.  How many more free "word of mouth" advertisers are you going to lose??

Zachary