Is there a better way to report all of my damage and get reimbursed?

Justin215
Level 2
South Bend, IN

Is there a better way to report all of my damage and get reimbursed?

A group of ten Catholic high school teachers stayed in my house for the weekend to see a football game. They were family of one of my friends, and I knew they weren't wealthy, so I gave them a discount of two hundred dollars! They repaid me by bringing me a bottle of Canadian whiskey and totally trashing my house. I'm trying to go through the request money process, but I don't know how to give the replacement or repair value of many of these things, and who has time to do all of this?! I didn't see an option for a cleaning service reimbursement either.

Items damaged, broken or missing:

Kitchen cabinet door

Bathroom closet door

Garbage disposal

Bathroom sink drain plug

Ceramic pan

Teflon pan

Dish towel

Leather recliner

Bathroom wainscoting

Cleanliness:

Trash on the floor, nightstands, and sinks in nearly every room

Food on the kitchen floor

Various stains on kitchen table, dining room table, kitchen sink, coffee tables

Dirty clothing left behind including dirty underwear, socks, an old pair of shoes, a jersey, a windbreaker, a towel

Dozens of pebbles left in my clothes dryer, which was apparently used without permission to dry all their shoes

Various other jerk moves:

Lights were left on

TV was left on

Several windows were left open in the 30 degree weather with my heater set to 75 degrees

I found my fine crystal, used for God knows what, in the upstairs bathroom

Seemingly every cabinet in my house was rummaged through, from the bathroom closet (which they broke), the cupboards in my den which were left ajar, my kitchen cupboards from which they removed random things like my 10 pound bag of whey protein…

Various other kitchen items were left around the house and in the garage

My garage door mechanism was unhooked so that I had to park on the street, and try to figure out why my garage door wasn’t opening in the middle of the night. I couldn’t sort it out until the next day.

Since they broke things like my kitchen cabinet, and then tried to conceal it by propping it in place, and my dish cloth was simply thrown away in the garbage, I have no idea what else might be missing which I have not been told. I have been finding more damaged, broken, or missing items since I returned a few days ago.

What should I do? How do I give an estimate for something like one broken kitchen cabinet? Some of this stuff I might be able to fix myself, but do I then bill for my own time? I've never had this happen before and I'm totally overwhelmed.

17 Replies 17

@Rene-and-Zac0 aaa ok then, I misunderstood 🙂

No discounts except to my returning guests ... sometimes... and friends, of course. Our prices are already very low due to too much competition. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

One did you do a walk through with them how long was your guest stay for, I have a guest right now  first I did a walk through with the guest along withe my dad show him around the very first night they started causing trouble one the barthroom was clog, in the morning they come plane about the door all this is on the message board of Airbnb I in retun call my Dad is replay was don't worry son

he went over to the place to tak a look at the barthroom it was fine the door was fine so my Dad waited for the guest he stood until 8pm left so my Dad told me  I will see them in the morning witch he spoke with  guest now they are best of friends ,but my dad told me don't worry if don't get a good review is about respect you know what I mean

Stella86
Level 1
Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil

I’m very interested about this subject because a guest damaged lot of sheets, blanket and mattress and a closet door!