Is there any other payment method for South Africa?

Sabine3
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Is there any other payment method for South Africa?

Please can someone hosting in South Africa advise me on what is the most cost effective payment method to choose now that direct payments are no longer allowed. At the moment I am being charged R100 per transaction which is almost half of the room rental for one night.

Thank you Sabine

85 Replies 85

Hi Louise.. Just been reading your message. I am also new to airbnb and has just received an e-mail for exchange4free. Just want to confirm if it is a scam or not. 

Thanking you in advance. 

Regards

Rian

Hi, can assure you that Exchange4free is not a scam. There was confusion when it was first introduced due to miscommunication. You need to sign their mandate form on an annual basis as it is a Reserve Bank requirement.

Marianne.

Elsa44
Level 2
Boksburg, South Africa

I've been using Payoneer and found this payment method convenient, allowing one to withdraw cash at an auto-bank the same day the money was received. 

Yet everytime after I receive a payment from Airbnb, the actual amount I have in my pocket is significantly less.  If you try to figure out what happened to your money, your online Payoneer transaction record do not show the fees subtracted on the South African side, so you are left in the dark.  Repeatedly I tried to withdraw amounts, in accordance to what I calculated should be available, then to my dissapointment see the transaction being declined "due to insufficient funds", this resulting in additional penalty fees. 

I was told that the fees South African Banks charge, are of the highest in the world.  Very sad to hosts in South Africa, working hard to try to earn a living.

Colleen14
Level 2
Durban, ZA

I have been hosting for Airbnb for a while and payments were swift and accurate, therefore I cannot understand why now I am paid R100 short for every visit.

I asked my private banker to investigate and he said that Western Union takes the R100.

When I try and contact Airbnb, I am told that is it the South African bank that is charging and then they ignore my further messages.

Annoying.

Megan378
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

If you chose the direct payment route, it will require you to sign a mandate with Exchange4Free annually and then there are no fees at all and payments arrive promptly. At least this is my experience over the last year.

Brand1
Level 1
Malelane, South Africa

I had the same experience with standard bank and AirBnB ignoring my messages.  I must say I am really dissatisfied with AirBnB's client services.

Brand1
Level 1
Malelane, South Africa

I had the same experience with AirBnB and standard bank. AirBnB's customer service is really disappointing.

Zanelle0
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi all, 

We hosted a family about 2 weekends ago and still haven't received the payout. I called Air bnb and they said the payment has been released already. Not sure what to do now? Has anyone come across the same problem? I bank with FNB?

Nico4398
Level 1
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa

Just spoken to a airbnb support, and they told me to ignore the email from Exchange4free, and that it is a scam.. 

Funso0
Level 1
Sandton, ZA

My payment has been paused since the 17th of January 2020 and Airbnb’s customer service is as helpless as I am...I provided all the relevant business details that Airbnb asked in December and it really came as a surprise that my payment was paused. Can anyone pls advice what I can do because I have a whole lot of pending payouts with Airbnb. I am helpless and confused because this has been going on for about 16 days now.

Andy2557
Level 2
Randburg, South Africa

I am in South Africa, and have been trying unsuccessfully to add my MasterCard credit card as a new payment method. I have added a zero in front of the post code to get it to the required 5 digits as per other posted suggestions, and continually get the following:

Andy2557_0-1604727833159.png

Any ideas?