Is there any way to flag a problem guest besides writing a bad review?

Lauren62
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

Is there any way to flag a problem guest besides writing a bad review?

I have been hosting since March of this year, and have had all very postive experiences and wonderful guests. For the most part, there is usually little evidence that anyone had stayed in my place. The guests are tidy and respectful of my space and my property. 

However, I've just had a strange experience with my last guest and I'd like to inform Airbnb and, expecially, any future hosts of this guest.  I know that I can write a bad review, but that leaves the door open for him to do the same, which he will because we've already had words. 

Here's a summary:

1. He showed up--unannounced--the day before his stay was to begin. He claimed that his groceries needed refrigeration (none of which needed to be refrigerated), and then proceded to check out my house and yard.

2. Texted me numerous times over two days asking about air conditioning, although the listing shows there is none. I finally installed a window airconditioner for him. 

3.  There is evidence that he had more guests than he booked (for which there is an additional fee). 

4. He emptied my fridge of everything I'd left behind, not just for his use, but for all guests (condiments, etc). I now have to replace everything. 

5. He took my keys with him (even though I had texted him to leave them in the apartment). I had to contact him to get them back, and he returned a copy--not the originals.  This means he still has keys to my place and I have to replace my locks. 

6. I noticed a plate was missing, and when I asked him about it, he said he broke it and just "tossed it".  (Every other guest has been up front about damages, and offered compensation). 

7. Left behind an unbelievable amount of trash (probably 10 shopping bags full over 6 days), which he put, not only in the garbage can, but also in the composting container and the recycling bins. 

8. And for some mysterious reason, he removed the cover for the front doorbell and left it on the floor. He also took a painting off the wall and left it on a sofa. 

I am currently involved in the resolution procedure for financial compensation, but I'm more concerned with a way to alert other potential hosts. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure this guy isn't the worst guest ever, but I definitely would have declined the booking. He doesn't have any reviews, and only 2 verifications (phone and email), so I guess my screening process needs to be more stringent. 

Any comments, suggestions, or similar experiences? How do we let each other know about bad guests other than the review process?

25 Replies 25
Vanessa77
Level 3
Kitchener, Canada

@Lauren62  Wow. That definitely is a bad guest. I would say that the review is the best way to alert other hosts of this guy. The fact that he made a copy of your keys is scary. I think you may be being a bit too nice when you say he isnt the worst, that is one of the worsst things a person can do. I would suggest leaving a detailed and honest review about him.  Also, I am from Kitchener, not far from Hamilton. And I know that there is a growing drug problem in the city, and it sounds like you have unfortunately been the host of a drug addict. Which absolutely sucks. but I think its important to leave a review for him. 

If this is your first bad review, I am sure that it wont deter guests from coming and staying with you. I think you can also reply to guests reviews so you can always reply back and leave your side should he leave a bad one

Thanks for your comment and support, Vanessa.  I think one of the things that was most annoying and troubling was his dishonesty. 

My description certainly makes it seem like he may have been a drug addict, but he's actually a middle-aged man from Shanghai who supposedly works for Pricewaterhouse Cooper (a partner, he claims). The other people staying here were his wife and father or father in law. 

My sister was joking that he might have been planting a microphone or camera, but I think it's possible he may have been looking for one (nannycam or something). I really have no idea why he would remove the cover for my doorbell and take pictures off my wall. So strange. 

Anyway, I'm really not comfortable leaving a review because he is so dishonest. I'll try to contact Airbnb (which seems next to impossible) to see if this guest violated some guidelines and can be suspended or something. 

You need to support other hosts. At a minimum you can review guest "bob" with:

"I would not host bob again"

That's enough for the next host to DECLINE 😉

Hi.

I had  bad experiences also so I think a private host board should be allowed..

One person came early when I was not at home, came on my property and "checked out " my trailer. then left a nasty message and cancelled..

I told Airbnb we should have host rights too!! no tresspassing! how creepy!

The other guy checked in ,left , never came back and then asked for money back or he said he would leave a"scathing review"

Lisa

@Lisa239 In hindsight, it's definitely a red flag when someone just shows up unannounced before their stay is to begin. I'm not sure what Airbnb's policy is on that issue, but it seems like a violation (as were so many other things this guest did). Best case scenario is that Airbnb suspends his account. 

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

As @Vanessa77 said. You need to be honest in your review to ensure the integrity of the Airbnb system. The guest sounds terrible, lets hope your future guests make life a bit easier fir you. Good luck with the resolution centre. 

Thanks, everyone. It seems that the consensus is to write the review, so I'll go ahead and do that.  However, he still has the option of not writing one himself which means that mine won't get published. I guess we'll see...

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lauren62

What abnoxious behaviour!

First of all, not sure if anyone else mentioned that he will not see your review until he has written his and both are published or after 2 wks are up if he doesn't write one. And vice versa.

Keep the review fairly short and professional. Keep it to bare bones facts.

His expectations were better suited for a commercial hotel and not for a private accommodation. You had more than normal clean up and had to get the doorbell installation fixed that had been tampered with. You also got the lock exchanged for security reasons because he returned a copied set of keys and not the original set. You would not host this guest again. 

There is a box at the end of the review that is only for Airbnb. Why don't you write your detailed story into that too.

And give him a thumbs down.

If he leaves you a bad public review, you can reply to that within 2 wks.

Again - short, professional, facts only, no emotion. And it can't be redacted! So write it separately in Word or whatever first, sleep over it, look at it again. Don't rant, don't blast the guest in rage or indignation! This response says more about you to others than the review.

@Lauren62 I've been a host for five years. Here is exactly how I would handle this:

If he HAS NOT reviewed you yet (you will be notified as soon as the guest has submitted their review of you) you may want to hold off on your review of him until the last minute. He already knows there is a problem (via the resolution center). He may be hoping you don't review each other. You can't let him win this game of chicken. Review him on tha last day possible (14 days after checkout). Your review goes "public" 14 days after checkout. It does not matter if he has not reviewed you. Your review still goes "public", if it's the only review then yay!

If he has already reviewed you then review him ASAP. Once both you and the guest have submitted your respective reviews, the reviews simultaneously go "public" and can no longer be edited.

Thanks again, everyone. These are great suggestions, and you've helped me figure out how to carefully word the review. I'm not sure why I assumed that you both had to review each other or neither would be published. I'm glad I understand that process better. I'll do as @James1 suggested and wait until the last minute before I write my review (he hasn't written one, yet). And I agree with you, @Andrea9, that the back and forth responses say more about each of us than the issues themselves. I'll have to be very conscientious about being professional and controlling emotions (which is always challenging when dealing with a dishonest person). Thanks again for everyone's support and advice. It's really been helpful. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lauren62

Good idea about waiting till the end with the review, though don't wait till the last minute.

There has been some debate as to how Airbnb actually calculates those 14 days.  Has been reported that somebody calculated still having half a day but was already cut off.

So have your review ready!

@Andrea9 Good point! I'll have the review ready and post it toward the end of the time period but not at the last minute. 

@Lauren62 please let us all know when the reviews go public, there are complex subtleties to being a successfull and happy airbnb host.  

Take a deep cleansing breath, count to 10, exhale

@James1 Definitely need to remember to breathe 🙂 And I will let you know when the reviews go public (and the outcome of the resolution process). The countdown is on.