Is there any way to flag a problem guest besides writing a bad review?

Lauren62
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

Is there any way to flag a problem guest besides writing a bad review?

I have been hosting since March of this year, and have had all very postive experiences and wonderful guests. For the most part, there is usually little evidence that anyone had stayed in my place. The guests are tidy and respectful of my space and my property. 

However, I've just had a strange experience with my last guest and I'd like to inform Airbnb and, expecially, any future hosts of this guest.  I know that I can write a bad review, but that leaves the door open for him to do the same, which he will because we've already had words. 

Here's a summary:

1. He showed up--unannounced--the day before his stay was to begin. He claimed that his groceries needed refrigeration (none of which needed to be refrigerated), and then proceded to check out my house and yard.

2. Texted me numerous times over two days asking about air conditioning, although the listing shows there is none. I finally installed a window airconditioner for him. 

3.  There is evidence that he had more guests than he booked (for which there is an additional fee). 

4. He emptied my fridge of everything I'd left behind, not just for his use, but for all guests (condiments, etc). I now have to replace everything. 

5. He took my keys with him (even though I had texted him to leave them in the apartment). I had to contact him to get them back, and he returned a copy--not the originals.  This means he still has keys to my place and I have to replace my locks. 

6. I noticed a plate was missing, and when I asked him about it, he said he broke it and just "tossed it".  (Every other guest has been up front about damages, and offered compensation). 

7. Left behind an unbelievable amount of trash (probably 10 shopping bags full over 6 days), which he put, not only in the garbage can, but also in the composting container and the recycling bins. 

8. And for some mysterious reason, he removed the cover for the front doorbell and left it on the floor. He also took a painting off the wall and left it on a sofa. 

I am currently involved in the resolution procedure for financial compensation, but I'm more concerned with a way to alert other potential hosts. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure this guy isn't the worst guest ever, but I definitely would have declined the booking. He doesn't have any reviews, and only 2 verifications (phone and email), so I guess my screening process needs to be more stringent. 

Any comments, suggestions, or similar experiences? How do we let each other know about bad guests other than the review process?

25 Replies 25
Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Absolutely agree with other hosts @Lauren62

Write the bad review. No matter what. Not sure where you heard that if you don't write one his won't show up but that is false. Yours will show up whether he writes one for you or not.

Also, there is a way to flag your guests messages. I would go into your thread and do that.

Lastly, put in a call to Airbnb. Tell them the guest made you uncomfortable. Clearly didn't respect you or the rules. ETC. I am sure there is a way for them to handle it.

@Brittany1 I looked through the thread for messages to flag, but there isn't really anything objectionable there. I've asked the person handling the resolution issue if there's a way to file a complaint about a guest (as the resolution centre seems to be about financial compensation only). 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Lauren62 how awful! So sorry this happened to you. The key having been copied is really disturbing. If he had given you the original back instead of the copy, you'd never have known he had a copy made. There is a type of key you can get that can't be copied - there's probably more than one type, but the kind we have is called mul-t-lock. You could maybe ask your locksmith about it when he comes to rekeying your doors? It's more expensive, but more than makes up for it in peace of mind. 

@Karen-and-Brian0 Thanks for the tip. I'll look for the mul-t-lock. I'm sure it will be worth the extra expense. 

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lauren62 I've heard horror stories that are worse, but yours is the *weirdest* I've ever heard. Others have suggested everything I would have, so all I can do is offer my support. I hope this works out for the best.

@Dede0 Thanks for your support 🙂 

Yisi0
Level 2
Nassau, Bahamas

When guests stay at my place and as accommodating as possible but I don't tolerate people demanding me to do things. Also as creepy as this person sounds I automatically would have cancelled him on the grounds of disrespect, showing up before time and upsetting my schedules. I would politely decline all requests from a person like that.
It's so awful what happened to you, we must be extra careful!
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Reading this post has made me glad I've adopted the policy I have. My apartment has a storm door and a regular door. My guests only get the storm door key. They don't get the main key. 

When they are in the apartment, they can of course lock the main door. But when they leave they can only lock the storm door. My apartment is attached to my home and I work from home so I am home all the time so I am not concerned that the apartment is only locked by the storm door.

Even if they make a copy of the storm door key (which isn't easy because your regular home improvement stores don't have the blanks to do it), it won't help them later because the main door will be locked when the apartment is unoccupied and they can't make a copy of a key I don't give them.

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

On day 14, in capital letters, leave them a review that will make them as welcome as toxic waste. 

I am tired of hosting obviously bad guests who have received template good reviews from other hosts.

Change your locks and lodge a claim for the cost against the guest. When Airbnb knocks it back, ask them why they don’t value the safety of the next guests. When they don’t reply, go via Facebook. 

Good luck

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Buy the way you sound like you are a good person that needs to be a little strong, your guest has bad habits not just him but some, as well as Host to, you know what I mean don't be scared is your place respect my place and my place respect you do a good walk through feel the guest out if you feel something you know what I mean then keep and eye out

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Now that he gone did you Chang the locks call it a day