Items Left Behind

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Items Left Behind

How could I forget that_.png

Hello everybody!

Do you know that moment when you're cleaning after your guest has left and you find all kinds of things and you think, how could one forget that? I have found iPods, keys, headphones, and even tablets/laptops!

I once had to call my guests to let them know that one of them forgot their laptop (found it behind the bed!). My poor guests had to travel all the way back from the airport to collect it.

I'm wondering if any of you have had the same experience?

Love to hear what you've got to say 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

110 Replies 110
Heather188
Level 4
Juneau, AK

I just had the strangest experience.  A mother and daughter left me a note saying "___ is leaving their shoes behind".  Um... why?  If you wanted to trash them, just put them in the bin.  If you want someone to use them, perhaps go to the consignment shop or donate them.  Or was this compensation (in their mind) for their rude demanding behavior and the towel they put a fist-sized hole through?  😄

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Heather188

I'm so sorry to hear about the towel! Did you get that sorted out with them in the end? 

-----

No, they would have been more trouble than they were worth to deal with on that end.

Louise-And-Jef0
Level 2
Valprionde, France

Our guests have left the usual behind; children's toys, electronic accessories, various articles of clothing, some of which we have discarded, others we have sent back and still more that await the day when the guests may be back in the region.  The object that made the greatest impression however, concerns a young couple that reserved the same day as they arrived.  They only spent one night.  The next day when we prepared the house for the next visitors, I discovered a preganancy test kit that was left in the bathroom.  It was negative.  

Susan1196
Level 2
Swords, Ireland

A guest has left a charger behind and has asked me to post it back in a secure way so it does not get damaged this quest on the night before she left accused me of touching her hired car with my car

After the umpteenth mobile phones found in my house, I decided to write a notice and paste it on the entrance door, on the inner side:

Dear guest, have a look in all rooms not to leave any personal belongings, battery charges, glasses, mobile phones, passports, underwear, raincoats, jackets. Make sure you’ve taken everyting. Always lock the main door and check the gate is properly closed. Have a nice trip back!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

We have had the typical chargers & adapters left behind as well.

I also found a gold & diamond hook shaped earring that had gone thru the washer & drier twice whilst snagged inside a duvet cover- it came flying out when I was shaking out the cover. It took a bit of research to figure out who had lost it & then posted it back. I'm glad it wasn't lost forever! Our most dramatic return came when a little girl accidently left behind a very important blanket - the family was en route to China but had stopped to do some sight seeing in San Francisco- I got on BART  our bay area transit & did a hand off to the grateful parent. We have also had a guest mail keys back from Wisconsin, another from Indonesia. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww I'm glad to hear the little girl got her blanket back, it sounds like you went on a little adventure to track them down, @Sally221. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Heidi286
Level 1
Richmond, CA

Can we send a request for funds for postage to be sent through Airbnb? 

Hi Heidi,

Payment in advance for postage is my new policy, after having to chase a guest who wanted the bag he left behind sent on to him in another country.....when the postage came to $50, he was slow to pay! 

I now have outlined the procedure to be followed in my house rules:  I will find out what the postage is, let them know and request payment through Airbnb, and when the funds are available, I'll post the item.  Unfortunately, this means an extra trip to the post office and waiting in line if it's international (local I can do with the self service system).  I have a lot of international guests (who seem to be among the most forgetful!) and the postage for some of those items is no joke!  Some people may change their minds on getting their items back when they find out the cost - and gone are the days when I'll just automatically post the charger, phone cord, electrical adapter etc. with no extra cost.  

Good luck with your hosting!  Susie

Susie

Christopher600
Level 2
Heber City, UT

The last (2) guests who stayed, have both left items.  I messaged them as soon I found but I haven't heard back from them if they want to pick up or have it shipped.  Has anyone come across guests who don't reply AFTER they check-out?  I don't want to throw the items away - is there a standard of time of when the window closes for guests to message the host back after they check-out?  Thanks.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Christopher600, I was wondering if your guests replied to your message by now? If not, personally I think I would keep the items for about a month or so and if there's still no reply, I'll give it to a local charity shop. 

-----

Actually, I just heard from 1 of the guests and we will ship their item.  I'm still waiting to hear back from the other guest, who was our last guest.  It's good to know the guests can still see messages after they've checked out.  

@Christopher600

That message stream will always remain open Chris. You can at any time in the future message any guest you have had through that message stream. The only thing that closes when the guest leaves is the private contact information like mobile phone numbers. I tend to make a note of my guests before they leave just in case I can't contact them through the message stream at some future point!

Good luck, I hope that last guest contacts you and lets you know what to do!

Cheers......Rob

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's great to hear @Christopher600. 1 more guest to go! 

-----