Jefferson Parish Short Term Rental Ban

Nicole575
Level 2
Metairie, LA

Jefferson Parish Short Term Rental Ban

Hi

I am a local Airbnb host in Metairie, La where yesterday the city council voted to ban all short-term rentals in most of the East & Westbank Parishes. I assume I feel like most other people when I say I was blind-sighted by this.

It is absolutely absurd for them to push that strict of a ban. With over 500 short term rental hosts, and only 2 showed up to the council meeting to dispute, I can only assume the rest were shocked and unaware this was happening like myself. 

I am wondering why Airbnb never reached out to let us know this was happening or if there is anything we can do at this point. I would like to see if there is some change we can bring on and push for more regulations and rules like Orleans Parish rather than the total ban that was passed.

Any insight is encouraged and appreciated!

78 Replies 78
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

you can thank all the long distance, absentee airbnb owners who have no care for the long term neighbors "quiet enjoyment" and who will rent to absolutely anyone with a credit card. They are the hosts that have caused communities to rise up and ban short term rentals. STR's aren't being banned for no reason. The reasons are very obvious and real. Would you want to own and live in a home next to an absentee airbnb where the owner doesn't live on the premises? I sure wouldn't!

They are not going to reverse the ban. That would make a few STR owners happy. The ban has made many more local long term renters and home owners happy. Who do you think they care about more? A few absentee STR owners or 100's of locals who live there? 

We need to start policing ourselves and cleaning up our own house before more places ban STR's 

Gavin80
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Are there any updates to the Jefferson Parish ruling on STR?

Robert599
Level 2
Kenner, LA

There will be a meeting in Kenner this Monday at 5:30 to discuss BANNING short term rentals..

At City Hall on Williams.

We bring lots of revenue to Kenner and it should NOT be banned due to some noise complaint.

If a neighbor has a noise complaint they should call the police.

Let's try to get Airbnb involved to help fight this ban.

Joy291
Level 2
Marrero, LA

What about all of Jefferson parish