Keep getting marked down for noisy location

Lucy335
Level 2
Windsor, United Kingdom

Keep getting marked down for noisy location

Hello,

I keep getting reviews for 4 star sometimes 3 star for location with comments about a noisy street, mostly followed by,  'amazing location close to lots of restuarants and bars'.  You can't have both?!  I have made a note about noise in my description but I'm still getting these comments.

Anyone else experience this? Surely the location starring is rather unfair? Advice would be much appreciated!

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Location is never fair, @Lucy335, and you can read all about it in other posts in this forum. But my personal experience ranges from getting five stars for being far away from everything to getting three stars for being far away from everything. Some would say it is unfair that I should get the five stars. I AM far away from everything. On days when I need to get to the city, I would give myself three stars for location. 

The good news is that location does not count toward anything that makes any difference. It won't affect your superhost status, for instance. It won't get you delisted. 

So just have a laugh at your location stats, and the explanations the guests give, if any. 

Tie yourself into knots over cleanliness and communication. 🙂

Lucy335
Level 2
Windsor, United Kingdom

Hi Lawrene, what a great response! You are so right, I should just let it go, why do we always focus on the negatives!

Lucy

Hi Lucy,  I was just thinking that you could consider putting it in your 'house rules', that "due to the liveliness and great popularity of this particular location, guests must accept before booking that they should accept a higher level of ambient noise than usual, when staying here".

Putting it that way, you should attract heavier sleepers etc., and dissuade those who are more likely to be sensitive to noise, while also promoting your location's positive reasons why it is likely to be noisier.

Just a thought, and really HTH?

🙂

Best regards,

t

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy335  A nice gesture might be to have a packages of earplugs available for guests. 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

Yes, I agree with Sarah.  I listed  a third room in my flat and it's the room closest to the street.  I bought a supply of good quality, individually wrapped pairs of earplugs and I put them in that room.  Guests rarely use them, so it's not much of an extra expense, but it's an extra insurance against noise complaints. for those few who do need and want them

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Lucy335, you just can't please people. I get marked down on location even though I am in a very quiet area and yet only a 10-minute walk from the town centre. Honestly, the location rating is completely ridiculous - people book KNOWING where the property is and it obviously cannot be changed.