Kicking out a current guest earlier?

Answered!
Shirley196
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Kicking out a current guest earlier?

I'm currently hosting a guest who is particularly frustrating, he's staying for two months (1 month gone already, thank god!).

He's a nice guy but he's not a very tidy/clean/considerate guest, the house is a shared house and he's in one of the rooms at the moment. See below our frustrations so far:

Cleanliness: He leaves the bathroom/kitchen in a mess, we've asked him face to face and over AirBnb messages to clean up but he's still not doing that very well.

Manners: He walked around the house in his boxers and its quite uncomfortable, we've asked him if he can cover up as the house had 2 ladies and another male there and they/we don't feel its appropriate to be walking around in your boxers (thankfully he's put shorts on now!).

House etiquettes: He's seems to think he can do what he wants, he arrived to the house with just a suitcase of clothes (no shower gels, no tooth brush/paste) so this is the start of him using our things like our washing powder, kitchen oils, cling films/foils etc without asking us, we've told him now not to do so and have messaged him over AirBnb messages. He bangs all the doors like its no tomorrow which I don't want to imagine the wear and tear on the doors!

At this point I've had a number of complaints from other housemates about him, can you as a host kick him out and refund the remaining part of the stay?

I want to message him a last time to give him a last chance and tell him that if he doesn't straighten up then we will need to ask him to vacate earlier.

Thanks,

Shirley 

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Since you have been communicating through Air BNB message system the Air BNB rep will be able to see that thread.  Contact Air BNB and request to cancel and relocation of the guest.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Since you have been communicating through Air BNB message system the Air BNB rep will be able to see that thread.  Contact Air BNB and request to cancel and relocation of the guest.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately you haven't been firm enough about your expectations. You should have been clear that if he wants to stay this is the behaviour you expect and if that didn't happen you should have spoken to Airbnb to cancel the booking.

Why have you allowed him to stay a month with continued bad behaviour?

Call Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking. If you need to get him out then offer a refund of remaining time.

Shirley196
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 I know it was bad of me letting him stay so far a month but a lot of it only started to get out of hand the longer he stayed and the person is here doing an internship/placement for the summer so didn't also want to put him out as he doesn't seem like the type who can look after themselves very well.

Once we tell him off he stops but its the fact he just doesn't seem to have any house ettiqutes of his own which is the worrying thing, recently we told him about banging the doors and he said he'll be more aware of it but its out of 'habit'. 

I've never really been in the situation where you have to repeat house rules to so much description, all my other guests have been amazing and respectful whenever they've stayed its a shame this person doesn't really show that much respect toward other peoples things, probably would have been better off staying in a hostel/hotel.

Thanks,

Shirley 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Shirley196

You are not this guy's mother 🙂 You don't need to put up with his lack of manners,  or worry about his internship. Not your responsibility.

If you want give him one last warning, follow it up on Airbnb summarising all the issues you have warned him about previously and link to your house rules. Say that if the behaviour continues you will need to ask Airbnb to cancel his booking with immediate effect.

Shirley196
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 Thanks for your advice!

So now the guy is better and have told him about the issues!

The guy wanted to a bring a person to stay over but the booking was for one person and that there is an additional charge for when more people stay over. He said he didn't know that but was complying and I told him the additional charge etc, he paid it fine so no problems there!

But he just raised today (after his friend has stayed over for the weekend) saying I don't have a working fire alarm and that I need to address this asap and that he couldn't sleep all night because of it. He said his friend had reiterated this and that I need to get an electrician ASAP end of the day etc.

I had replied and said that the house does have a fire alarm fitted and was tested before and every few months but I will get someone to look into the other alarm as well. He responded with yes the downstairs fire alarm works but the upstairs one doesn't (which is my bad but we always just had one that worked and second that needed replacing) and that he couldn't sleep all night worrying over it (which I doubt very much).

He's only 'pointing' this out now because his friend has been over and escalating it and saying that 'he can't sleep at night' although hes been here for well over a month fine. Saying that on arrival of a new tenant we should have tested the alarm with him etc but is this necessary if its a 2 month stay and not a tendency?

I really just want this guy to leave now giving me and other housemates more headaches than necessary.

Thanks,

Shirley 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Shirley196 ,

this guy is threatening You.

"and that he couldn't sleep all night worrying over it"

So he slept well for a month but all of a sudden can't sleep anymore. He is working on a retaliatory review or a discount or even reporting You to airbnb. Make sure You comply with the local laws. If Your laws require a fire alarm get it installed immediately. Then confirm the installation or rather the repair or exchange of the existing fire alarm through the airbnb messenger.

He's a very cheap person.

Shirley196
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks @Ute42! I'm getting it replaced today and getting an assessment done today as well!

He is a cheap person he's inconsiderate, I've had more complaints from other housemates about his general person saying he slams the doors all the time,  its waking them up and that he takes other peoples food!

Thanks,

Shirley

i’m here venting because air bnb has not contacted me yet. i kicked a homophobic guest out and air bnb emailed another guest who’s currently booked and told this guest they were in danger. My current guest told me he told airbnb he was fine but they insisted he leaves my home. meanwhile when i talked to airbnb they told me they didn’t cancel this guest. why is the host being punish for not wanting a homophobe and a mental case in there home. this is a nightmare. also air bnb i have all the threatening texts from this person.