Late check out, vomit, and reviews

Robb6
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Late check out, vomit, and reviews

Hi Everyone, I've been a lurker here for months and have gained great tips and advise from you all. Over New Year's weekend I hosted 4 guests at our cabin which is approximately 90 miles away in the mountains. Their checkout was supposed to be January 2 at 11am but they didnt leave until just after 12pm. I know this because my cleaning crew was getting there as they were leaving. Usually this isn't a big deal, but I had another guest who was going to be checking in later in the day. Since I am not physically there to inspect the property, I rely on the cleaning crew to make sure there is no damage etc. I received a text from them later after they left the property that there was vomit on one of the beds. They didn't take a picture because something was wrong with her phone. Regardless, they charged me an excess cleaning fee of $25. I asked if it looked like they tried to clean up or if they just left it there and she replied that it didnt appear that they attempted to clean it up. The guest had already left a review but I had not so I couldn't see it yet. When I wrote my review, it was short and factual, I said that they communicated great leading up to the check in, but left un-cleaned up vomit on the bed as well as checked out 1 hr late without notifying us. I posted the review and then used the resolution ctr to request the $25 excess cleaning fee from them. I'll note that their review of us and the accomodation was very positive. Shortly after this I received a message from the guest. He apologized and admitted that there was vomit on the bed, but said that they did clean it, because if they hadn't, it would have been all over the bed! He then stated that I had two choices, leave the bad review on his profile, or charge him the $25, but not both. (I'm thinking, is this guy for real) I havent responded, but I intend to tell him dispute the $25 dollars or pay it, but the review sticks. I am also assuming that since he admitted making the mess, airbnb will charge him anyway whether he agrees to it or not. What do you guys think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

20 Replies 20
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

For the group:  Is it possible to change a review once you've submitted it?  (This was not my impression)

OK, @Robb6, IF you can't change it, looks like you've painted yourself into a corner, the deal is off and it goes to whatever resolution AirBnB deems appropriate. 

In any case, absolutely no offence, but this seems like a whole lot of stuff over $25... to me. 

Best wishes,

Kim
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robb6

As you say, the delay in checking out was no big deal as your cleaners were only arriving when they were leaving - so that in itself would not have prompted you  to give a bad review. I would ignore the money and leave your factual review. $25 is not going to replace the mattress etc. In addition AirBnB may not take your side on this unless all your proof is recorded on their platform. 

Take a deep breath - ignore the $25 and move on......it's not worth the stress

Good luck

Robb6
Level 2
San Diego, CA

@Kimberly54 you're right, $25 isn't much, nor worth a fight but I think its the principle and not necessarily the money. I haven't yet responded to his ultimatum and further haven't even considered changing the review. (I think you're correct that if both reviews have been submitted they can't be changed) I left out that my intention was to let the guest know that both the review and charge would remain as far as I'm concerned. If airbnb decides not to charge him, then that's fine too. Lesson learned for me to make sure these incidents get photographed and that house rules are updated and clear about excess cleaning.

@Robb6, maybe look at it one other way:  no one knows when the vomiting occured, right?  So if it was just the night before (or more likely that morning?) he wouldn't have had time to do a complete cleaning/laundry, right?

Anyone can have an 'accident.'  (Super unlikely that vomiting in bed is ever done intentionally.)  Do you penalize a guest for an 'accident' they couldn't or didn't have time to clean up before check-out?  Barfing is not a crime and most people really don't like doing it at all... even if all that drinking over the New Year seemed to be a good idea at the time.

I'm thinkin' you might want to r-e-l-a-x just a bit. 😉 

Best,

Kim

Actually @Kimberly54, I do happen to know that the incident happened on New Year's day, and they checked out on Jan 2.

Of course accidents happen and several times this has happened at our place and guests have had the courtesy to notify me and/or take care of it themselves. Secondly, I never said barfing was a crime, but then again, neither is getting so drunk you make yourself sick... yet people still do it. My cabin can accomodate up to 7 people, so they just helped themselves to one of the other beds and left the vomit for my cleaning crew to deal with. I don't even want to know how they could stand the smell for another night.

I really do appreciate your input, but I could do without the sarcasm.  I believed you after your first comment that you meant "no offense", but your second comment "I'm thinkin' you might want to r-e-l-a-x just a bit. ;-)" was certainly not a welcoming comment to someone new to this community. 

Hey @Robb6, I am truly sorry you read it that way.  NO sarcasm was EVER INTENDED.

You also didn't give us all of what you knew, or of your tolerance of past experiences.  (If someone has the courtesy to notify you then they're absolved?) 

Doesn't matter.  No harm or offense was intended at all.

I hope all resolves in your favor--truly.

Best,

Kim

You are kidding right? The intent of the renters isn't what is in question. What if they had burned down the house? Does it matter that they didn't intent to burn it down. The fact is that they damaged the property and that they didn't clean it up. The bad review is because they didn't communicate the damage and didn't satisfactorily clean it up.

Boyd is correct. I can understand if a child gets sick in bed but an adult has vast experience and knows how to avoid such situations. First, do you have to drink to excess? Second if you can't control yourself, then take a bucket to your room. The guest is responsible for the damages. 

When a guest damages a home through their negligence, future hosts need to know this. Please make sure to include this in your review even. You don't have to embarrass the guest but let us know that they are not recommended. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I know what you feel, @Robb6, and I would definitely leave the review, since, as you said, is factual. If the guest messaged you through Airbnb, it can be a sort of proof for your word against the guest. And that ultimatum given by them deserves both sticking to the review and claiming the money. Was it a kid that vomited on the bed or an adult getting drunk on New Year's Day?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4 I didn't ask, but they didn't have any children there, but given the holiday and circumstances, I'm assuming it was someone who had a little too much to drink. 😉

It was asked rhetorically, @Robb6. I'm not that naive. 🙂 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Robb6

Tell the guy you will edit your review once the additional $25 you requested is paid out............you don't have to mention that once reviews are both posted, we can't edit them 🙂 Also, you can report that guest to Airbnb for threatening not to pay for damages because he didn't like the review you left. (not that Airbnb really does anything about users that are reported/flagged)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robb6

i had guests who lost the keys or break the toilet but they said they did it and paid for the damage so I didn't mentioned it and I gave them a great review. I was not angry, accidents happend but they behaved responsebly and I like it.

Then I had families with kids who peed in bed and parents tried to hide it ....  or guests who broke things and just left it on the floor and throw away screws so I couldn't repair it the same day. Guests like that really made me angry and they get a bad review for educational purposes.

So I totally understand you. It is not just about the cost or time required to fix it but the way they behave. 

Sheila146
Level 5
Vienna, Austria

As a fellow airbnb host, I would like to be made aware that a guest vomited and didn't clean it up. If it were due to illness, the guest would have said, and then the debate would be if he were to be believed, but the host would need to give the benefit of the doubt.  

but in any case, I don't see it as cheap to ask for the extra cleaning fee.  It is a matter of principle, and a "learning experience" for the guest.  Any responsible, considerate person would agree immediately to pay the fee, whether caused by illness or over-indulgence.  To attempt to bargain about the review reveals the poor attitude of the guest, and other airbnb hosts need to be aware, so the bad review should stand, which is a moot point as it cannot be changed after the fact.