Leaving town for a while so I want to let someone else take over my listing. Is that possible?

William48
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Leaving town for a while so I want to let someone else take over my listing. Is that possible?

Im going to be out of town for about 2 months so my family member wants to take over my listing for me. The money is still going to go in my account. Do I need to create a new listing or can I just change my profile picture?

4 Replies 4
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

If it was me I would just change the profile details and photo and give them the login details. If they mess it up at least you'll know who has done it 🙂

Enda0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Hi @William48,

I'd be inclined to leave it as it is and mention to guests that book that your family member will looking after the listing because you'll be away for a while. 

I'd be concerned that if you changed the profile photo and name, it might confuse potential guests who read reviews that mention your name (if you have reviews- I can't check right now!). 

So anyone that leaves a review while you're away will talk about "William's place" etc and not "Martha's place" or whoever. 

Hope thats helpful,

Enda

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @William48 Airbnb recognizes the fact that many hosts need additional hosts to help out when the listing host is travelling, ill or otherwise not available.  Sometime in the future (hopefully soon!) Airbnb will roll out a way to add trusted friends or family as additional hosts.  If this feature is available to you, you will see it in your edit listing menu under Management. 

In the meantime, I suggest what @Enda0 says but would also add that you instruct your family member to respond to reservation requests and inquiries by first stating that he or she will be handling reservations, check ins / check outs in your absense so people know who they are dealing with.  You should change the contact phone number to that of your family member so they can respond to guests' needs.  It might be a good idea to introduce your family member in your long listing description so guests will know that this person has be designated by you to handle things. 

Also, make very sure that your family member is thoroughly educated on how the reservation process works, especially what the difference is between inquiries and requests and how to respond to them.  As the listing host you still will be responsible for any actions your family member takes. 

Have fun on your travels!

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Keep your eyes peeled for the 'Co-Hosts' program coming down the pipe from Airbnb also... will help us all in this regard. 

I hope it's here before LA this year. 🙂

Cheers,

Paul