Legal action by neighbour in NSW Central Coast

Legal action by neighbour in NSW Central Coast

Hi all,

Ever since I have had my first guests, in August this year, I have had a vexatious neighbour bully me with the intention of shutting down short term rentals in my property.

He has tried to get the council to issue orders, however they have said I comply with their requirements.

In the meantime I have been trying to work with the other neighbours to limit the impact on them of our guests and made a lot of modifications to the listing and screening procedure. However, he has finally enlisted their support and this is making things difficult.

Now he has engaged a lawyer and they have sent me a court summons.

Has anybody else had this happen? What did you do?

Thanks,

Veronica

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow - what an amazing location.

Unfortunately you haven't given us enough information to try and help you.

1. What issues is your neighbour complaining about that impact on him and his property?

2. You mention you have been working with other neighbours to limit the impact of your guests which implies there have been some issues?

3. What is the court summons relating to?

Sheryl--Lynn-0
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Veronica,

I would love to hear what happened in the end.  We too had a similar situation.  The neighbour had no grounds for legal action but we ended up going to mediation to solve the problem.

Do you have a condo or a single swelling?

I just hosted my first guests in a private family home. It was 2 nights, but my neighbours accousted me for not informing them. they lied about the guests behaviour and the guest knew exactly what neighbour complained- neighbour was peering out their window and pointing when this lady was alone on the deck. Neighbour said there was drinking and smoking...totally upset me, intimidated me. So glad my husband was just behind me in his car....I believe the neighbours could ruin any chance for success if they make guests paranoid. I said I should have let them know and intended to today after cleaning but absolutley irrate. Just trying to do the best I can....there are risks. May have to look at other rental options but would rather have a go at this so we can come and go in the house and use it when we need it....a terrible first day all around....

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^^ " peering out their window and pointing when this lady was alone on the deck. Neighbour said there was drinking and smokin...." 

You have a lunatic, dusgusting neighbor who is a miserable creep. I would address this a*****e  head-on for there is no placating crazy people. Why he is the way he is it's imaterial and not relevant, the fact he must mind his own business is.