Let's start a conversation

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Let's start a conversation

Right, the Groups are closing today so if we have things London-based to get off our chests this is the only Airbnb place to do it.  

This isn't the same as the old groups but it is a place to have a discussion.  Let me get started.  How are people finding relationships with their neighbours?  Mine are generally quite good but I've had the occasional noisy visitor which hasn't helped. The worst was a couple simply staying for their wedding.  She was very drunk when they got home from their wedding at 3am and made a lot of noise in the corridor.  A neighbour woke up and had what I can only imagine was an altercation neither of them wanted.  The neighbour has complained, the landlord has done nothing but I have one of those leases which talks about the property only being used as "a single private residence" which is taken by many to mean that you can't have holidaymakers (or wedding couples) paying you rent to stay in your spare room.  

London is also at risk from the challenge to the authorities to move from setting out the law (you can do short-term letting for 90 days) to enforcing it ("you must stop letting your property for more than 90 days now Mr xxxxx").  Newspapers are lobbying for the London Mayor to seek to crack down on what are breaches of the new relaxation in the short-term letting rules.  And according to some people Airbnb is shutting down listings which are basically whole property listings and break the law almost by definition.  The Berlin option might well be one which we face in London if the authorities have the power to introduce such restrictions.  In Berlin there are now fines for people doing Airbnb (or 9Flats or Wimdu) of whole properties (spare room offerings remain OK I think).  

On another point, do people want meetups to get together?  There is a hard core of keen hosts who have met from time to time and I have been privileged to join some of them and go to the Open with some.  Where possible, a meetup at a host's home is quite a good idea and I have used my place for a few, though we need to be careful not to disturb the neighbours!!!!  I would particularly welcome hosting some meetups for new hosts to get to meet experienced ones as I think these self-organised get-togethers work in a different way from the bashes organised by Airbnb itself.  There is a place for both but a PBAB type event is more of a participation and a working together I think.  

Any thoughts?  

21 Replies 21
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Peter - we don;t have noisy guests, (so far!)- and where we live is nearly totally silent at night. Our issue is if someone in our building goes against the conditions of their lease and uses their balcony after 11pm at night - noise carries a long way. It has only happened once this year, but freaks me out....offered compenstation but the guests hadn't even heard my neighbours talking.

As for a change in regulations - enforcement is close to impossible I am guessing, so people will either continue and take the risk or comply. 

When we joined AIrBnB as hosts I was surprised at the number of entire buildings that are featured - more like hotels than sharing a home. I am sure AirBnB will put it's formidable PR team into action if and when such proposals are every presented. One of the core claims is that it reduces overall rental stock - for us that is not true as we would never want a full time lodger - just weekenders.

Exactly - regarding 'overall rental stock' - I have not, and do not want to offer my property on the 'traditional rental market' because I prefer the flexibility that a platform such as Airbnb offers. So, how can my 'entire place' listing be afffecting the overall rental stock or rental prices for that matter?

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When I was getting used to the Groups... I hope I will find my way here as well! 

Always looking for new ideas, because up until now we have just been using common sense and personal Airbnb experiences when it comes to our hosting. So far, so good! But I am ready to learn from more experienced fellow-hosts, that's for sure. Don't we all have the same struggles?!? Vetting your potential guests, the check-in process (flexible yet not to disruptive to work schedules), making guest feel at home (their privacy vs. being overly present or in their face), noise and nuisance (from guests and neighbours), etc.

And as a live-in host sometimes I worry about legislation as well... With rent in London being so high, would we be able to afford our wonderful home without the possibility to have guests through Airbnb?! Not to mention the fact that I really enjoy the whole hosting experience and seeing "my city" through their eyes!

So yes! For me it would definitely add value to have an informal meetup with London hosts, maybe with a specific topic to really take something home from it for your own listing?

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello Peter,

Good to start the conversation. My flat is in a house that I share with two neighbours. I am on the first floor, there is a flat on the ground floor and one on the second floor. We all own the freehold to the house.

Up until a year ago I had a lot of problems with my neighbours, particularly the downstairs neighbour complained as guests would ring their bell all the time amongst other things. There was also a problem with guests staying in the front garden, which is shared by all of us. Additionally there was the issue of security.

It was all resolved by talking to them, and most importantly they actually made suggestions to my listing and description. The key was that I had described my flat as being on the first floor. For those in the US the first floor means ground floor! My upstairs neighbour is a writer, so he then proposed changes to the text, actually explaining that it is up two flights of stairs!  In addition there is no access to the garden for guests to sit in and I have very clear guidelines on locking the front door.

And now there are now problems anymore. I do keep my guests posted on who arrives, where from and what the purpose is so that they are not surprised if they see someone in the garden. Equally I tell my guests about the neighbours, so all know roughly who is who.

And I still ask my neighbours each time to let me know if anything bothers them. 

Maggie28
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hello Peter, If you  meet up next , please let me know , I like to join , Maggie

Hi Peter,

yes - we'd be interested in a meetup too!

Rose & Andy

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

Hi Peter, good to see some familiar faces on here, only just trying out the new community centre.  

I live in a terraced house and have had no problem with neighbours, some know I host but it is not an issue.  

On the 90 day rule, I do think it is a bit absurd including those renting their spare room, I am not taking a home away from anyone as I simply wouldn't have anyone in the room apart from the occasional visitor without Airbnb, in fact by having guests I am helping the London economy.

I have enjoyed the meet ups I have been to so would be interested in another one.

Alex95
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

So far I've only had good experiences with my guests and no issues with my neighbours. Most of my guests tend to be a little older due to my neighbourhood (Highgate) and I clearly flag this isn't a listing to come party in. That's because I'm friends with some neighbours and because it happens that the noise insulation in the converted church where I live is pretty poor. 

You seem to be right at the hub of the London Airbnb host community so wondering if you know whether there are any London host meetups planned? From https://www.airbnb.co.uk/meetups it doesn't look like any planned for the whole of this year. Can that be right?! Also do you know the process for starting a meetup and getting it listed?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Best wishes,

Alex

Hi all,

I am quiet new and I was wondering what is happening with the 90 days restriction.

Can someone more experienced to advise?

I would be very interested in a potential meet up in London.

Many thanks and regards,

Popi

HI 

Not sure how these converations go as I cant see my last one and how do I get a response from this one just said goodbye to guests who had 2 rooms and one person booked 3 arrived and my add clearly says not suitable for babies ? loved having the baby of course but I am past babies so dont need the headache of Health & Safety should any issues arise, I also gave an extra room and catered for 3 instead of one well 2 grown ups.  I just would like to of known in advance who was coming.  I had a complaint about my animals and it says on my description I have a cat & a dog, so this time I got the dog to stay out for the night and locked the cat in.  

You would not get anywhere in central London for the price I gave and use of all full facilitates which were private to the guests not sure even if anyone will receive this message as I cant see the last one I posted.  I advertise a room but gave people a flat and only popped down to the kitchen to clean remove rubbish so this was a really good deal. I hope its reflected in their comments.

Kind Regards

1. Shiv
Natalie49
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hi, I am new host in London and I would like to meet up other London hosts. I was not able to find a club or group dedicated to London, as many cities have. Apparently my friend introduced me to airbnb, she also does hosting in London. Maybe there is a need for a group?
2. Peter, I really feel annoyed by law of 90 days in London. We are freehold owners of our property and the land coming with it, we have worked hard for many years to buy it and to keep it, so it seems to be unfair that someone else tells me what I can and cannot do in my house. It is ridiculous, really. I am sure that London only benefits from tourism industry, bringing more jobs and income to many businesses here: taxis, cafes, etc.
Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

There is a facebook page for London hosts and they arrange regular meets at a cafe in Covent Garden. 

Ronda4
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hi All,

I recently started a thread 'Is this the end of Airbnb in London?' and noticed that many of you on this thread are concerned about the same issues.  I can see that Peter was trying to start a meet-up London group.  Did this ever get off the ground?

Happy to organise something.

RF

Hi Natalie 

Shiv here hope you get this message I agree where is the London community as we need one so we can even just use eachother as a sounding board I am available to help 

Kind Regards

Shiv