Listing isn't clean

Listing isn't clean

The listing we are staying out is hosted by a "super host" - one of the reasons we chose it.  When we got here yesterday, the listing is only surface level clean.  It's been vacuumed, the bathroom was mopped, the garbage was taken out, linens were changed, and clean towels were out.  However, once we started looking around the apartment, we noticed that it was really clean.  The refrigerator had food left over from the previous guests.  The kitchen is fairly grimy - the hot pot hasn't been wiped down in who knows how long and is greasy, the microwave has finger grease marks on it, the kitchen cabinets have food relics left on them, the inside of the cabinets have crums, there are chip pieces under the couch, and the windows are full of hand and finger prints.

This apartment is "surface level" clean.  The moment you scratch the surface, you see it really isn't clean.  

How do you recommend we proceed?  Try for a partial refund?  Get airbnb involved?

Thanks.

32 Replies 32
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Michael-and-Dru0

In comments I made on a previous post, regarding whether a cleaning fee should be levied, I've made the point there’s guest clean and domestic living clean, you got the latter when presumably you paid for the former.

I told my cleaning lady (after I found a pot lid incrusted with food that the last guest, thought it was okay to put back in the press/cupboard) that everything needs to be check everything!

As one of the 80% of cannon fodder hosts (I’m charging why less than $100 per night), my view is, keep the listings attributes minimal and exceptionally clean. The margins are not there for broken juicers, coffee dispensing machines, tv’s, radios, dishwashers, elaborate furnishings, think sheep skin rugs, leather couches etc.

Airbnb have built a mountain of bureaucracy around the review system and its clearly not working as intended is some cases…

You bring up a good point @Cormac0. There is a big difference, how much cleaning can be reasonably done depending on equipment. 

If you have a minimalistic style , maybe a spacious tiled room with nearly no furniture nor stuff, it’s easy to clean the place toroughly in a short time. 

But if the room is full of furniture and equipments, especially a small room, where it’s complicated to move furniture around to wipe under it, it’s not possible to get rid of every hair or hidden stain within a time you could reasonably spend on cleaning within the price range of the place. 

I don’t subscribe to your conclusion though. There are two different markets, people who want the minimalistic setting with the assurance that everything is as good as sterilised and then there are guests, who book especially for the home like feeling, a warm atmosphere, where they may find things to look at, borrow forgotten items, explore a different lifestyle, enjoy a presence in the place. 

To me, domestic cleaning would still include that no dirty lid or cup comes out of a shelf, but the outside of a water kettle may have an overlooked stain. Especially if someone cooked without a lid.

airbnb should distinguish private housing from tourists-only apartments, which would allow correct expectations for hosts and guests, but they won’t, as this would discern a definite part of their business as purely commercial and lay them wide open for attacks by local authorities. The next step would be immediately, to enforce the same regulations and taxes as for hotels on this segment. 

As private hosts, sharing our home, we already serve as justification to avoid those regulations and taxes for the commercial hosts. We should not be seem as lacking, when we do not come up to the operation theater ceaning standard in our crowded homes, some people associate with hotels. (It’s imaginary anyway) 

It’s a bit much sometimes to get the beating on one side and serve as shield on the other. ;-))

Jonathan-And-Lisa0
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

These responses sound like Schills for Airbnb.

I went to an unclean AIrbnb. I took pictures, and i got refunded and found another place to stay. That's it. I am not paying for the type of clean that invites roaches. Im paying for CLEAN. Periodt. I am not a backpacker, I pay for a certain clean representation and nothing less.

Lisa