Listing isn't clean

Listing isn't clean

The listing we are staying out is hosted by a "super host" - one of the reasons we chose it.  When we got here yesterday, the listing is only surface level clean.  It's been vacuumed, the bathroom was mopped, the garbage was taken out, linens were changed, and clean towels were out.  However, once we started looking around the apartment, we noticed that it was really clean.  The refrigerator had food left over from the previous guests.  The kitchen is fairly grimy - the hot pot hasn't been wiped down in who knows how long and is greasy, the microwave has finger grease marks on it, the kitchen cabinets have food relics left on them, the inside of the cabinets have crums, there are chip pieces under the couch, and the windows are full of hand and finger prints.

This apartment is "surface level" clean.  The moment you scratch the surface, you see it really isn't clean.  

How do you recommend we proceed?  Try for a partial refund?  Get airbnb involved?

Thanks.

32 Replies 32

It’s a shame, that Airbnb has no badge for “OCD-proof” yet. 

Jayesh5
Level 6
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Helga0

I have to come an visit you one day as you are a real rudder (gouvernail) in the ocean of life.  I so love your replies, Lisa

Lol, thank you @Jayesh5 / Lisa. You would be very welcome, but be aware, I got a free roaming parrot a few years ago to keep myself from aspiring to the OCD level so very hard. More fun but no more chance to get rid of all the crumbs everywhere. 

Helen, you're a brave women, enough said!

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

@Michael-and-Dru0Have you written your review? You can rate the cleanness of the listing by giving it a low star rating and this way the host will see that in your opinion the listing was not clean enough. If there are a few low ratings for the cleanness Airbnb wil let the host know

Hi, not yet.  But, we already have thought of this and we will be giving them the lowest star rating possible.

@Michael-and-Dru0, the lowest rating possible? As you said yourself, it was vacuumed, if not at every possible place, bathroom moped, trash emptied etc   

I would think 4 stars fair for what you described, if the lady came to clean, I would rate the state after cleaning. 3 stars from a fellow host already express considerable anger. Everything lower is just showing you as pretty special. 

Imagine that there are places in this world, that objectively merit 1 or 2 stars. That is not the case here. 

Hi Helga,

I suppose you would have to be here and see it with your own eyes.  That being said, when you book a place, it should be clean.  The host makes that agreement to the guest.  A guest should not have to be inconvenienced with another cleaning taking place or the inability to use the basic amenities in the apartment, viz., the hot water kettle, stove, microwave, or fridge.  

As hosts, we all need to be mindful of keeping our eye on the target:  cleanliness, professionalism, good communication, and honesty.  When a listing is not clean, you, as a host, have not been honest.  This merits lower star ratings.  

Having a cleaner come into rectify the problem does not let them off the hook, it was dirty to start with end of story.

No doubt it should be clean and you should rate accordingly. But according to the state: you have stars between 1 and 5 to give and judging from the original description, there was some negligence but also some visible effort to clean. 

1 star is the worst case scenario and this seems very far from the worst possible case. 

(Had worse in several hotels ovee the years)

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

Totall agree. I got rated a 1 recently for a few dead bugs and some dust (although I could never ascertain from the guest where the dust was and the property has very limited surfaces for dust to accumulate anyway. I was very upset with the rating as there were no issues with the bathroom or kitchen which I would have thought were of primary concern. In the case mentioned at the start of this thread, I would have thought a 3 should be the lowest appropriate rating.

@Gillian19 

Hi Gillian,

We have started sending guests a pre-check out letter to avoid negative reviews.  It has made all the difference in our listing!  Here is what we say:  "

We work very hard for 5-Star reviews as they help our business greatly.  This property is our small family business and positive remarks go a long way for us! If you enjoyed your stay, and wouldn't mind, could you please write us a review about your favorite parts of staying with us?  Also, if you had anything go wrong or  have suggestions on how we could improve, would you please be willing to send them to us in this messenger as we welcome your feedback and love to insure the greatest comfort for you and other future guests."

As for stars on cleanliness, airbnb doesn't give guests a guide on what makes up a 5 star or a 1 star for cleanliness.  A few dead bugs and some dust certainly don't merit a 1 star rating.  

Here is how I tend to think of stars on cleanliness:

5 Star = Everything was spotless, perfect, and absolutely as described.

4 Star = One item maybe isn't clean, like the door of the microwave, but overall things are amazingly clean.

3 Star = Cleaning is marginal.  Maybe there is mud on the floor, or grease on the stove.

2 Star = Cleaning is very marginal.  There is food on the cupboards, food in the fridge, grease on the stove, etc.

1 Star = Cleaning is horrible.  There is human hair on the floor or in the shower, visible dirt on the floor, windows are not clean, fridge is dirty, dishes or appliances are dirty, etc.

@Helga0 You bring up a good point.  Here is how I tend to think of stars on cleanliness:

5 Star = Everything was spotless, perfect, and absolutely as described.

4 Star = One item maybe isn't clean, like the door of the microwave, but overall things are amazingly clean.

3 Star = Cleaning is marginal.  Maybe there is mud on the floor, or grease on the stove.

2 Star = Cleaning is very marginal.  There is food on the cupboards, food in the fridge, grease on the stove, etc.

1 Star = Cleaning is horrible.  There is human hair on the floor or in the shower, visible dirt on the floor, windows are not clean, fridge is dirty, dishes or appliances are dirty, etc.

I belive this apartment falls into the 1 star category.

@Michael-and-Dru0

Notations are very subjective in a worldwide business, especially if you have to rate an unfamiliar environment far from home. 

For exemple, being on a third continent, I can't understand why you rate a dirty kitchen as the worst case, whilst a dirty bathroom counts for less offense. To me, they are symptoms of the same slippy habits. 

I'd rate:

5 stars: everything is sparkling clean, but there may be one or two small forgotten things, that I can threw out or wipe in automatic mode, whilst doing something else. (I would wipe the water kettle whilst filling it, without it even penetrating in my conciousness)

2 stars: generally very clean, a few signs of negligence (hair, floor or food rests, very dirty windows). 

3 stars: I'm disgusted about a lot of things, someone has to clean for half a day. If it's me, I want a refund or a dinner invitation. If that is offered without me asking, I'd upgrade to 4 stars. 

2 stars: Grime has set in, I'd move out if possible and I want a refund. If I stay, I spend a day cleaning and I want to be paid for that. 

1 star: it's a public health hazard, no way that I stay. (An orgy not cleaned up, a dead rat, the place looks like a sqat or drugs and needles left behind)

I reacted on your postat the beginning, because it seemed contradictory to stay and give 1 star. It means either inhabitable or vindictive. 

@Helga0

I suppose you have hit on the very problem of a star rating system.  What is one persons 5 star is another persons 3 star.  Airbnb gives no guidelines about how to rate stars.  It's subjective.