Location Ratings

Cara53
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Location Ratings

Hello Everyone!

I know that this issue has been brought up before, but I am getting so frustrated and I'm not sure what else I can do. People have been continuing to rate me with 4 or 3 stars on location. I feel like I am extremely clear in my listing and in the message I send out to guests I even say basically "read the neighborhood section." My home is about 5 minutes driving to the closest bar and restaurant and it is a safe quiet neighborhood in the city. I'm getting quite discouraged. The location star rating doesn't make any sense to me and it seems like there is nothing I can do to help! I have messaged probably 6 different guests asking for feedback because they all provided none at all and no one has ever responded.

Any help/advice?

Cara

7 Replies 7
Sheldon15
Level 4
Hope, Canada

Airbnb has had several issues with this in the past and my advice is to always contact the guest when they leave a 3 in the location review. Dbl check and make sure your listing contains accurate location descriptions, take some pictures that reflects where your locaton is  and post them to your listing.

Beyond that I just suck it up and move on.

Thanks! I'm fairly new and having trouble with the suck it up part but I'll work on it 😃 I contact every guest and not one has ever answered (it's only been like 6 but still). Thanks!

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Cara53

Hi Cara

You have an amazing space, so bright and clean. and your reviews are fantastic.

My impression on reading your description is of a quiet area, away from the razmataz, but close enough to walk to the local convenient shopping etc.

When I was scrolling through your photos was expecting more photo's of the area. May be this will help to paint a bigger picture of your location.

With my listing I have produced an A5 hand book of the area which is left on the desk, with suggestions on where to shop/eat etc, as well as a guide to leaving a review which helps to educate guests on the impact of leaving 4* or less. Alos included is a brief message that I have no control on the location nor the weather ... it seems to work

Otherwise I think you are doing an amazing well

Hi Chris!

That's extremely helpful! I'm so grateful for your response. I will definitely add some more area photos maybe even a google maps shot. I have a handbook but I will add the star thing. Thank you so much for attaching the photos this is really helpful.

Thanks again!

Cara

Eskil0
Level 1
Bergen, Norway

Hey, I have the exact same issue. Today I got 3 reviews in a row with 3/4 for location on all of them. I even have google maps photos in the listing that show the exact diestance by car/bus/walking, and although it's a 7 minute bus ride to the center, one review said "It's 30 minutes away" which feels incredibly misleading. From what I can tell, there is nothing missing in terms of information on the listing, and an equal apartment in the city would charge literally 2,5 times my price, without free parking. 

Chris! Any chance you could share your book with us? I would like to know how you successfully explain the rating problem without seeming unreasonable to the guest?

It's so annoying. If it was something like cleanliness that I could fix it would be better. Lying in reviews is unfortunate =( I hope that Chris' pictures helped as much as they've helped me! Good luck in your future location reviews and I hope they improve for both of us (or we learn to not care I guess). 

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Cara53

@Eskil0

I have included a few photo's,

The cover (A5 folder)

Index, to give you an idea to fill in yourself

Map

and out 'n' about guide

and finally I have laminated the review guide

CoverCoverIndexIndexMapMapOut and aboutOut and about

Review Guide (Laminated);

Air BnB Review system

I was recently chatting with my previous guests, a lovely young couple from London. They were astonished to learn that a 4 star rating is considered by Airbnb to be a fail.

As Hosts we are all working towards satisfied guests and lots of bookings, and using Airbnb means we also have to be concerned with the Review System - and the dreaded pressure to achieve 5 Stars. But there is also the pressure to keep above a 4.8 average, because when we dip below that number Airbnb start to send warnings of suspension and all sorts of negative things.

With such a high average anything less than 5 stars is considered bad, ....... After your stay here you will be asked by AirBnB to leave a review.

With reference to the star system when the guests come to leaving a review after your stay the star system will read as shown below

'How was your stay at Chris's place?

Terrible Bad  OK   Good    Great

Unfortunately AirBnB and the host see –

Terrible  Bad   Bad    Bad    Good

When a Host receives 4 or less stars, Air BnB consider there is a problem and will start to send warnings of suspension when it drops below the 4.8 average.

We work very hard for 5-Star reviews. We are not a hotel but a home which has been opened up to welcome strangers to the area and a good review goes a long way for us!

We try hard to give a positive experience; if you had anything go wrong or suggestions on how we could improve your experience please let me know as soon as possible..

A lot of guests have commented on how cheap we are and should raise our prices. We like to give value and a warm welcome. We have also taken into consideration that this is a Victorian House (built 1892) with the bathroom located down stairs, and our prices have been reduced to reflect this so that we are able to give good value for your stay here.

Guests who rate their hosts with 5 stars for the ‘Overall Experience’ category are saying they were happy with their stay and want future guests to know it.

When rating us on your ‘Overall Experience’, please remember that we cannot control our location or weather

So we hope your stay has been relaxing and enjoyable and hope to see you again.

Chris