Long Term Reservation

Answered!
Joanna193
Level 1
Muntinlupa, Philippines

Long Term Reservation

Hello! Am a newbie as a Host in Airbnb. There's a query for a 6-month reservation for my studio unit. How do I go about this? Can I decline at the onset, though I have put the unit for a long-term stay? How about the rates? Does Airbnb dictate on the monthly rate? Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joanna193  As a new host, or even an experienced one, a 6 month booking is not advisable. What if you end up not being able to to stand this person? What if they are filthy slobs? What if they turn out to be one of those people who seem to break everything they touch? 6 months is a long time to have a stranger around. Airbnb really isn't set up to protect you as far as long-term bookings go. If you were going to rent to someone for say a year, wouldn't you want a lease agreement, references, work history? Most landlords would. Airbnb doesn't seem to be able to even filter out people with criminal histories.

Now, if in the future you have a situation where you have a guest who has already stayed and they were wonderful and trustworthy, and wanted to book your place again for a long term, that would be a different scenario.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow, @Joanna193, you got caught off guard, right?  Many discussion threads about long term hosting, so read them here.  Also, Air BNB has different payout and cancellation for long term. Go to Help Center and search under long term.

As to declining the guest, if you are not comfortable with the guest (not your lack of experience with long term guests), you can decline.  As a newbie, one problem with long term is you do not get reviews as a short term rental.  

Good luck!!

Joanna193
Level 1
Muntinlupa, Philippines

You got that right, Linda! Am overwhelmed with questions! I have not had my first guest which will commence at the first week of May so I am at a loss how to respond to the long-term query. Thank you for your quick reply, Linda. Will check on the other discussion threads. Good morning!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joanna193  As a new host, or even an experienced one, a 6 month booking is not advisable. What if you end up not being able to to stand this person? What if they are filthy slobs? What if they turn out to be one of those people who seem to break everything they touch? 6 months is a long time to have a stranger around. Airbnb really isn't set up to protect you as far as long-term bookings go. If you were going to rent to someone for say a year, wouldn't you want a lease agreement, references, work history? Most landlords would. Airbnb doesn't seem to be able to even filter out people with criminal histories.

Now, if in the future you have a situation where you have a guest who has already stayed and they were wonderful and trustworthy, and wanted to book your place again for a long term, that would be a different scenario.

Joanna193
Level 1
Muntinlupa, Philippines

Yes, exactly my sentiments, Sarah! I had to reach out to the Community because I thought it would reflect badly on me being a Level 1 host to be declining so early in the game.  Thank you for enunciating my thoughts!  Your reply is of great help!  Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my query!  Muchas gracias, Sarah!