Lost items need to be returned to guest but they don't seem to be getting my messages

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Lost items need to be returned to guest but they don't seem to be getting my messages

I now have 3 situations in last month in which guests have left small items in the space.  In each case I was pretty sure I knew who left the item since the space is cleaned  and we check the drawers and closets between guests.  I immediately messaged the guest.

In the first case the guest agreed that the item was theirs, gave me an address and I mailed it.  They got their item back and I felt good about returning it.

In the second case the guest agreed that the items were theirs, that they did want them back and then the guest provided no further contact so I have no address to send them to.  I was not asking for postage so there was no obligation from them except providing an address.

In the third case the guest has not even replied to my inquiry although I am positive the item is theirs.  In this case the booking was made by one of the couple but the lost item clearly belongs to the other one, so maybe he doesn't care about her black leggings and has not told her they were found?!

Are the guests getting my AirBnb messages after their departure?  Should I be collecting their phone numbers and personal emails so that I can contact them later if needed?  These guests were all so polite and cooperative that I am having a hard time thinking they are just ignoring me.

Kerrin

8 Replies 8
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@City-Limits-Ranch0 Nah, I wouldn't worry about it.  The guest might be busy with work, travelling, ect. and perhaps they just don't care about the item left behind.  Recently a guest left a pair of socks.  Their response was just to pitch them.  On another occasion a pregnant lady left some special pillows.  She wanted them back and through the reserving guest I got an address. 

All you can do is let the guest know what they left and if they want them back to give you their address.  In some cases for large items that cost a lot of money to mail, you might ask for postage and get compensated through the Resolution Center.  

Hope this helps!

Hi Clare,

Thanks for being a helpful community person!  I guess they are not that invested in the items.

It sounds like  you think messages sent to them through AirBnb will arrive in their phone or email? 

Or, is it possible that the guest would have to log in to their AirBnb account to view messages?

If they can opt out of having messages forwarded they may not be seeing my messages if they have no other reason to log in?

I don't have a smart phone (lol!) so I do everything on a laptop after I log in, but I do get reminders by email and text on my not so smart phone.  Can the guests opt out of receiving the reminders that way?

Kerrin

ps so far I don't care about postage, just getting their things back to them and out of my house

@City-Limits-Ranch0 It's possible that the guest have opted out of receiving messages by email or text and can only see your messages by logging into their Airbnb account. Or, like I said they just might not care or want to be bothered  I had a guest who did have the option of receiving emails but never looked at them.  

If the guest hasn't responded in a reasonable period of time, I'd donate the items to Goodwill.

Thanks for the clarification Clare @City-Limits-Ranch0. I too have messaged guests after their departure and have yet to receive a response. They probabaly do not have email or txt notifications turned on.  That would explain the lack of response.

Merlyn

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a check in book. When my guests come into my home I ask for photo ID and take their address, phone, and license # if they have one. I want to know who is in my home. Generall their is ONE person cleared through Airbnb, but other guests with them who are not. Not okay with me. So for my own protection, and that of my other guests, that is what we do here. Only one person has complained so far, stating it was an invasion of her privacy. I told her she didn't have to give it to me if she objected that strongly,, but when she realized that I was taking the info from others for HER protection, she was calm in handing it over. 

Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

I'm the curmudgeon who will leave a message saying that I have their items and if they would like them back to send me a self-addressed pre-paid mailing label--which is what I've done when I've forgotten items in a guest room. If they want their things back, they can do the legwork and incur the expense. Half my visitors are international, so I'd rather they filled out the customs forms and get the address format correct, etc. I end up donating most of the items left behind. If they don't want to go through the hassle of ensuring a return, why should I?

Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

We get a lot of left items, too.  My housekeeper charges $20 for her time, the guest pays for shipping, handling, and insurance if required.  You can do all this through the Airbnb platform in Resolutions.

So the guest finally saw my message and provided an address for the items to be returned.

The other one no response and they didn't leave a review either.

I'm going to start asking them to fill in a guest register when they arrive so that I can just send their stuff back without waiting for them to contact me.

Thanks,

Kerrin